E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Not pleased with this brake combo

04-21-2021, 05:08 PM   #1
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Not pleased with this brake combo

20 months ago I installed new front brakes and rotors on my 325. I used Pagid high carbon rotors and Centric PQ-PRO pads. Braking performance feels remarkably similar to the previous combination (OEM rotors and Textar pads I believe) which is a good thing, but there's just as much brake dust and more noise than before.

20 months and 14K miles later the CBS indicator says 6000 more miles until brake pad replacement so it's definitely worn through the first stage of the sensor. The rotors also look pretty chewed up with distinctive grooves above and below the pad contact surface, so much that I'm not sure I'd be comfortable reusing them when it comes time to replace the pads.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 07:50 PM   #2
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I installed the Zimmerman/Akebono kit from FCP a few weeks ago and am happy with them. I’ve washed the car twice and have noticed much less brake dust.
      04-21-2021, 08:02 PM   #3
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

There is no "stages" to the sensor. It is either triggered or not. I bet if you actually looked at the pads there is lots left. Either that or the caliper brackets were not cleaned well at replacement time and the pads are seized, causing premature wear.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 10:57 PM   #4
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
There is no "stages" to the sensor. It is either triggered or not. I bet if you actually looked at the pads there is lots left. Either that or the caliper brackets were not cleaned well at replacement time and the pads are seized, causing premature wear.
Really? I thought there were two separate wires that get broken on the sensor at two distinct wear levels.

I thoroughly cleaned the brackets and calipers too before reassembling with the new pads. The pads/calipers are NOT seized. The pads aren't completely shot and there is still some material left, but they're definitely quite worn for only 14K miles, more than I've seen on any other car. I will measure the thickness to confirm. I'm also really surprised at the wear on the rotor for such relatively low mileage.
Appreciate 1