E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Using ATF and thin oil to flush engine???

06-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
armani12
Peruanito
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' AW 335i coupe

Using ATF and thin oil to flush engine???

Hi guys,

I have researched a bit about this topic outside the forums, and many people claim that using maybe 1 or 1/2 a quart of atf combined with thin oil can clean any deposits and possibly slush that has accumulated in the engine. Has anyone done this? What exactly will be a thin oil? A 0w20 maybe? Im only planning on using this to flush it, so I'll run the can with this combination of oil and/or atf for 10 minutes or 3-5 miles maybe and then flush it out right away and fill the engine with the regular 0w40 mobil1 (the one i've been using).
Do you think there is a risk of something happening? Not worth the money?

My car has 50800 miles and the engine is a n54.
I changed the oil myself at 45k and the dealer changed it at 40k and before that it had its 15k intervals. The oil comes a bit dirty, so i dont know if this will hurt in any way. Thank you in advance and sorry for any writing mistakes as i'm in my iphone
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

I wouldn't do that. Maybe change the oil at an earlier interval, ie 10,000 miles. I purchased my car used @ 49,000 miles so I used seafoam once. Dumped 1/2 of the bottle in the oil and the rest in the gas tank. At 100 miles I changed the oil. Mixed reviews on here so I didnt do that again. Car now has 83,000 miles and running sssssmmmmoooottthhhh. Let us know what you ultimately decide to do and most importantly, keep us posted! Good luck.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0