E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > e90 proper sized drain plug on the passenger side for an automatic??

03-02-2015, 04:48 PM   #1
llama_of_doom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325i

Question e90 proper sized drain plug on the passenger side for an automatic??

Hey I was wondering if someone could verify for me the proper sized drain plug for a radiator that has two drain plugs, I am aware that some e90s have 1 plug others have 2.
I have a 2006 e90 325i automatic. My OEM radiator had only one long drain plug on the driver side. However the replacement Nissens radiator has two drain plugs, one on the driver side and the other on the passenger side.

I attached a pic of the directions for the Nissens radiator, my confusion is because the directions say that the radiator came with the proper plug already installed (the long plug on the driver side). However I had a leak from both plugs so I removed them, and saw that the passenger side plug is a short one.
From the directions it looks like there should be a short plug in the passenger side for gasoline cars, you can see that in the picture. But when I checked realoem, they list the long plug as being used on both sides for the automatic.

I called pelican parts but I think they just looked at realoem, and didn’t seem entirely confident about what they were telling me. I just don’t want to obstruct something and inadvertently cause an overheating situation, can someone with an automatic car and two drain plugs please clear up for me. Long or short plug for the passenger side Thanks!

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...17&fg=05&hl=15

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 05:42 PM   #2
llama_of_doom
Enlisted Member
Rep

here are the included directions
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 06:20 PM   #3
llama_of_doom
Enlisted Member
Rep

This is the longer drain plug/tube with the double orings, I did use this for the drivers side, but I still remain unclear if this longer tube is also what should be used on the passenger side.

this shorter tube was on the passenger side, as per directions I am led to believe I should be using this shorter tube, however realoem lists both drain plugs for automatic cars as the longer version pictured above. has anyone removed this thing from the passenger side on their car?

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 04:37 PM   #4
hossiena
Rep
Drives: 325xi 2006

same question

I think Nissens radiator for automatic already comes with both plugs pre-installed and the radiator is shipped with one of each drain plug in the package separately in a bag. The driver side has the long plug installed and the passenger side the short one. At least that's what the instruction says.
Driver side - I think for auto one should leave it as is (because package says long one is already installed) but for manual one should swap it with the shorter one.

Passenger side - I think it comes with the shorter one pre-installed (I don't know why) but everyone should swap it with the longer one. Can anybody confirm this? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 03:22 PM   #5
DPDISXR4Ti
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

I'm replacing a factory radiator in a 2006 xi w/ Automatic transmission w/ after-market and have exactly the same question as has been raised here. I'm in agreement that the left (USA Driver) side should get a long plug.

But what about the right side? If I put a short plug in it seems to eliminate any coolant flow through the nearby fitting. That seems wrong, but the vendor (whom I don't really trust) says the short one is fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 07:55 AM   #6
Monger007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E-90 320D M Sport

My mechanic told me my E90 is fitted with both the long type, its an auto.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 10:30 AM   #7
DPDISXR4Ti
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger007 View Post
My mechanic told me my E90 is fitted with both the long type, its an auto.
Thanks for the reply. So the long plug on both sides. That's what I believe is correct.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 10:24 AM   #8
DPDISXR4Ti
United_States
Rep

Just to finish off this thread, the radiator I got was the p/n 2882 that is sold all over eBay for less than $100. It comes with NO plugs installed, just a short and long one in a bag. Problem is, consistent with what is indicated above, a 2006 xi with automatic transmission requires TWO LONG plugs - one in each of the fittings - same as the factory radiator.

After going back and fourth with the vendor, they finally relented and sent me another long plug. All is installed now and the car is back on the road. But I can't believe nobody else has even run into this issue, given how failure-prone the radiator is and the number of these cars sold.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 12:20 PM   #9
rbaker1967
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw325i

How to change the radiator plug

This is a helpful thread, but i am wondering how to actually change this drain assembly. It does not thread in/out, and i do not want to break it. Can someone inform as to how to change the drain assembly?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 11:11 PM   #10
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Not sure if this was definitive. So I have to tackle this job and got a Nissens.

I have an automatic 2011 E90 328i.

So drivers side: Long plug for automatic (check)

Passenger side: On my sheet it mentions the long one is for "BMW with aftercooler." I also see that on the example above that it says "deisel with aftercooler." I'm thinking both of these cases means I should be installing the shorter one on the passenger side (since my 328i N/A). Am I thinking of this wrong? Or was it really just a deisel vs gas question? (Dont know anything about diesel so forgive the ignorance).

Then the post above says long on both (but curiously it might be diesel).

I'm sure this probably makes logical sense (Seeing the piping in and out) if I cut the side off to see the flow of everything, but I was hoping to avoid that.

Greater knowledge welcome.

Last edited by bluewater328; 10-19-2020 at 11:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 08:41 AM   #11
DPDISXR4Ti
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
If you are referring to my post, it is not a diesel engine. Definitely gasoline.

It sounds like the Nissens directions are no less confusing than the ones written in Chinglish. I recall reading them and giving up; just went with best replicating what was in the car originally.

The car has been running for over two years now and several thousand miles, so I assume I got it right. It's amazing to me that this still continues to be such a point of confusion on such a common vehicle in a common configuration.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 08:55 AM   #12
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti View Post
Quote:
If you are referring to my post, it is not a diesel engine. Definitely gasoline.

It sounds like the Nissens directions are no less confusing than the ones written in Chinglish. I recall reading them and giving up; just went with best replicating what was in the car originally.

The car has been running for over two years now and several thousand miles, so I assume I got it right. It's amazing to me that this still continues to be such a point of confusion on such a common vehicle in a common configuration.
I was referring to Monger007's recommendation actually, since his vehicle listed was diesel.

But if you took that advice and it's been going well, that's exactly the confirmation I've been looking for.

So Drivers side = Long for Automatic and Passenger side = Long [for those that use that small port on the passenger (right) side] [EDITED AFTER CONFIRMING]

Thanks!

Last edited by bluewater328; 10-29-2020 at 03:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 03:41 AM   #13
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

And to close the loop for those that come again, since my car did not leak and throw codes, let's go ahead and confirm that it's two long plugs for 2011 E90 328i. The way that helped me sort things is by the full new instructions sheet (that still sucks but that you can download from the Nissens site) but refers to the second long plug on passenger (right) side as "BMW with aftercooler" and references the picture of the port. So interpret that to mean: "If you use this port pictured, you need to switch to a LONG plug."

There are a couple of different hose configurations listed in realoem based on model/spec. But if you use that lower smaller port on the passenger side, you'll want to use the long plug on that side. Other more evident one remains on the driver's side (left): long for automatic, short for stick.
Here are some of the common scenarios for smaller port use on right (passenger) side:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=17_0704 (#11)
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...51#17127540020 (#10/11)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SHORT LONG BOT PLUG AFTERC.PDF (37.2 KB, 452 views)

Last edited by bluewater328; 10-29-2020 at 03:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 10:25 AM   #14
BZ92EEE
Romania
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92 325i

Quote:
And to close the loop for those that come again, since my car did not leak and throw codes, let's go ahead and confirm that it's two long plugs for 2011 E90 328i. The way that helped me sort things is by the full new instructions sheet (that still sucks but that you can download from the Nissens site) but refers to the second long plug on passenger (right) side as "BMW with aftercooler" and references the picture of the port. So interpret that to mean: "If you use this port pictured, you need to switch to a LONG plug."

There are a couple of different hose configurations listed in realoem based on model/spec. But if you use that lower smaller port on the passenger side, you'll want to use the long plug on that side. Other more evident one remains on the driver's side (left): long for automatic, short for stick.
Here are some of the common scenarios for smaller port use on right (passenger) side:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=17_0704 (#11)
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...51#17127540020 (#10/11)
So, my English is not so good so I have to ask again to refres this post
Which plug I have to fit in the passenger side ? Long one or short ? And the big question is : what is an aftercooler ? Because here I don’t understand if I need short or long? ! So , long plug ?
In the driver side I fitted long because I have automatic transmission but in the passenger side I still don’t get it
My radiator have 4 hose plugs , 2 big ones and 2 small in the bottom of the radiator , one is for automatic transmission and one I don’t know for what ! So , do I have aftercooler ? Do I need long bottom in the passenger side ?
Thank you !

Last edited by BZ92EEE; 03-30-2021 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 12:07 PM   #15
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ92EEE View Post
So, my English is not so good so I have to ask again to refres this post
Which plug I have to fit in the passenger side ? Long one or short ? And the big question is : what is an aftercooler ? Because here I don’t understand if I need short or long? ! So , long plug ?
In the driver side I fitted long because I have automatic transmission but in the passenger side I still don’t get it
My radiator have 4 hose plugs , 2 big ones and 2 small in the bottom of the radiator , one is for automatic transmission and one I don’t know for what ! So , do I have aftercooler ? Do I need long bottom in the passenger side ?
Thank you !
Don't worry about the terminology, its the reason so many were confused. Basically, if you have a hose down there, you do, use the long one on the passenger side.

Drivers side, since you have auto, yes, it should have the long one in there.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 01:54 PM   #16
BZ92EEE
Romania
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92 325i

Quote:
Don't worry about the terminology, its the reason so many were confused. Basically, if you have a hose down there, you do, use the long one on the passenger side.

Drivers side, since you have auto, yes, it should have the long one in there.
OK. Thanks for The answer! I fitted the long one and it seems to work properly !
Thank you !
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 11:37 PM   #17
850CSi
16 years and counting...
Rep
Drives: '06 325i 6MT

Can someone help me out here…

06 325i. Manual.

I put in a new Nissens radiator today. As instructed I replaced the long plug that came installed in the drivers side with the short one that came with the radiator.

And it leaks. It seems pretty clear that the plug isn’t sealing properly. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 12:52 PM   #18
E90Raider
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Leaks with short plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850CSi View Post
Can someone help me out here…

06 325i. Manual.

I put in a new Nissens radiator today. As instructed I replaced the long plug that came installed in the drivers side with the short one that came with the radiator.

And it leaks. It seems pretty clear that the plug isn’t sealing properly. Any ideas?
I also installed a Nissens on my daughters 2011 328i Automatic.

The long plug was preinstalled on the drivers side which is fine for automatic.

The short plug was installed on the passenger side, which leaked after install and as soon as I started adding fluid.

The radiator was exchanged and the same thing happened.

I swapped it out for the long plug, which stopped the leak but now I have no heat in the car.

I saw a video yesterday of a guy testing the thermostat finding it was good and stating that the long plug is allowing cold water to go directly to the block never warming up.

To test it, he pinched the hose and released it once the water was warm.

I'm about to swap radiators for a non Nissens radiator.

Oh an just a note. The original BMW radiator only has a drain plug on the drivers side.
Appreciate 0