E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > So my water pump just hit the fan.. best price for Canada ?

11-13-2016, 10:39 PM   #67
fanatic
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

It's recommended to replace the water pump at about 100k mile (160k km) as preventative maintenance. It's not a matter of if it will fail but when. The last thing you want is for it to fail on the highway and no way to get it safely home (as it happened to me).
      01-15-2018, 06:57 PM   #68
VPATEL11
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Overheating.. waterpump +tstat or head gasket issues

Hey all - here is hoping someone sees this and can provide some insight..

I have an issue where my car starts to overheat, but only on highway drives at the 30-40 minute mark. I will get a light telling me engine is getting hot (yellow) and to drive moderately (no loss of power or anything) then immediately a red light (engine too hot) telling me to pull over, at the same time the car will start decelerating and I will lose power. I pull over, shut the car off for 2-3 minutes, turn it back on and the car drives perfectly fine! I am able to complete the rest of the trip (about 20 minutes). I looked on this forum and these are normal symptoms for waterpump and thermostat.

I brought it to a guy who always looks at my car (an independent shop) and he is saying I have a deeper issue other than waterpump and tstat, which is a blown head gasket or some sort of crack in the engine head... This is an expensive fix. My mechanic is pretty well-versed in BMW's and has replaced alot of engines before on these cars as well.

To be sure, I brought my car to Maranello BMW in Vaughn and they are confident that it is a water pump and thermostat issue and quoted me $2,600 all in for new pump, t stat, radiator hose and coolant flush.

I am conflicted because my independent shop guy says I am wasting my time and that even if the water pump is bad, there is an underlying issue that the coolant is mixing with the oil... My guy checked the oil filter housing gasket and replaced the gasket and did a pressure test and says the coolant is forsure leaking still from somewhere in the head of the engine and to find out you need to lift the block of the engine.

BMW Maranello says they ran their own pressure test and are certain it is not a blown gasket or engine head issue, and that it is quite rare for their cars to have that sort of problem where the head gasket is blown or there are any cracks. The car is not constantly overheating as well and only intermittently..

Has anyone experienced this kind of issue before? Any help or guidance or even opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by VPATEL11; 01-15-2018 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 10:14 AM   #69
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by viren11.patel View Post

I have an issue where my car starts to overheat, but only on highway drives at the 30-40 minute mark. I will get a light telling me engine is getting hot (yellow) and to drive moderately (no loss of power or anything) then immediately a red light (engine too hot) telling me to pull over, at the same time the car will start decelerating and I will lose power. I pull over, shut the car off for 2-3 minutes, turn it back on and the car drives perfectly fine! I am able to complete the rest of the trip (about 20 minutes). I looked on this forum and these are normal symptoms for waterpump and thermostat.

I brought it to a guy who always looks at my car (an independent shop) and he is saying I have a deeper issue other than waterpump and tstat, which is a blown head gasket or some sort of crack in the engine head... This is an expensive fix. My mechanic is pretty well-versed in BMW's and has replaced alot of engines before on these cars as well.

To be sure, I brought my car to Maranello BMW in Vaughn and they are confident that it is a water pump and thermostat issue and quoted me $2,600 all in for new pump, t stat, radiator hose and coolant flush.

I am conflicted because my independent shop guy says I am wasting my time and that even if the water pump is bad, there is an underlying issue that the coolant is mixing with the oil... My guy checked the oil filter housing gasket and replaced the gasket and did a pressure test and says the coolant is forsure leaking still from somewhere in the head of the engine and to find out you need to lift the block of the engine.

BMW Maranello says they ran their own pressure test and are certain it is not a blown gasket or engine head issue, and that it is quite rare for their cars to have that sort of problem where the head gasket is blown or there are any cracks. The car is not constantly overheating as well and only intermittently..

Has anyone experienced this kind of issue before? Any help or guidance or even opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Either way you'll have to spend a pretty penny.....I would go the expert maranello low option first.
A cracked head you probably could buy a whole other car opening that can of worms.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 07:53 PM   #70
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:

The thing here is even if its not a blown head gasket you driving that car and intermittently heating it up to hot WILL blow a head gasket. Whatever you do dont drive the car anymore before you fix the root cause. I would replace the waterpump first because you will have to anyways sooner or later and you can eliminate that route first. Generally speaking intermittent overheats are classic head gasket issues but not always. Listen to your indy guy if he can show you the test performed..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 09:39 PM   #71
starbuck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Msport

Fyi not sure if anyone has also mentioned.. the full replacement kit with pump , bolts and coolant is about 500 from German parts near hwy 400 and finch in Toronto. I got my kit last summer for my e90 325i with 156000kms on it. I figured failure was a matter of time so got it done at my mechanic for 200 dollars in labour. All in was about 700.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 08:10 AM   #72
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
Fyi not sure if anyone has also mentioned.. the full replacement kit with pump , bolts and coolant is about 500 from German parts near hwy 400 and finch in Toronto. I got my kit last summer for my e90 325i with 156000kms on it. I figured failure was a matter of time so got it done at my mechanic for 200 dollars in labour. All in was about 700.
FCP euro will throw a thermostat in the kit for less than that..and ships to your door
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 12:35 PM   #73
starbuck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Msport

Not that it matters much, but I was mistaken, the German Parts kit is 600+ tax and does include the thermostat. It seems to be the same kit as FCP.

FCP has the kit for is for 355 USD which translates to roughly 440 CAD + roughly 44 CAD for shipping + about 20 CAD for brokerage + tax. Lets call that about 500 CAD+ tax

Works out to about 100 less than German Parts with the following considerations:
1. If your need is urgent, you have to wait for the shipping of your kit
2. If something happens to be incorrect in the shipment, you have to ship back and/or wait for another shipment

If I was doing this as preventative maintenence, I'd go the FCP route
If my waterpump gave out, I'd go the german parts route even with the additional 100.

Last edited by starbuck; 01-17-2018 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 12:15 AM   #74
KiX1911
Blah
Canada
Rep
Drives: Awesomeness

Quote:

I think you need a third opinion. Take it to BMWizard or RMP. I would trust both those guys over BMW Maranello.

B
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 09:40 AM   #75
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
Not that it matters much, but I was mistaken, the German Parts kit is 600+ tax and does include the thermostat. It seems to be the same kit as FCP.

FCP has the kit for is for 355 USD which translates to roughly 440 CAD + roughly 44 CAD for shipping + about 20 CAD for brokerage + tax. Lets call that about 500 CAD+ tax

Works out to about 100 less than German Parts with the following considerations:
1. If your need is urgent, you have to wait for the shipping of your kit
2. If something happens to be incorrect in the shipment, you have to ship back and/or wait for another shipment

If I was doing this as preventative maintenence, I'd go the FCP route
If my waterpump gave out, I'd go the german parts route even with the additional 100.

Good points sir ! I always do those calculations but never thought about the fact that if the water pump goes you need that replaced ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 11:51 PM   #76
kayak4r
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi touring

2008 e91 with 197,000km and just got the water pump and tstat replaced today. I would call it preventative maintenance since it didn't leave me stranded on the side of the road. I was just waiting for the ding in heavy traffic with nowhere to stop.

Just my observations for anyone wondering:

I had the amber and then red high temp lights come on and then go off almost immediately before even pulling over. Got the reader out and I had the 2e84 and 2e85 communication error codes.I also watched the live data stream and noticed the coolant temp getting close to 100 degrees Celsius and the water pump rpm staying at 194 no matter how high the engine rpms were or how hot the coolant temp got. After replacement the codes were gone and the temp stayed closer to 90 and the rpm settled in at 175 and went well above 200 when the temp got to 90 or the engine rpms got higher. There was also a point when the pump didn't even start up when the car turned on.

So, it wasn't completely dead, but it was getting unreliable enough to replace. From the sound of things I'd say I got a good life out of the first one.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 09:53 PM   #77
bushwa
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Might as well keep tagging onto this post. I’ve got 180,000 km on my 06 330i, and i had to get a tow from the side of the highway 190km from home today. Thankfully I had the upgraded AMA which covered most of it. I’ve had a pump and Tstat kit sitting on the shelf since I purchased the car over a year ago. Was hoping that having it would be enough to guarantee I’d never need it lol. No such luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 11:08 PM   #78
adam_c
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

Are these the same parts?

https://order.germanparts.ca/parts/b...ardware/A0340B

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/he...ater+pump,2208
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 08:27 AM   #79
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...mp-11517563659

Comes with lifetime replacement warranty
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #80
adam_c
Private
Canada
Rep

The car would probably die before the water pump does (after replacement)

Exchange rate so +~30% plus CC forex fees, plus shipping (in USD) and brokerage
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 01:25 PM   #81
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c View Post

I dunno, I had to replace one of the pumps only after 20,000 km which was a shitty pill to have to swallow again. At least with FCP its lifwtime warranty.

I have almost 300,000 km on my car now so it may last for some time still.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 10:26 AM   #82
bushwa
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwa View Post
Might as well keep tagging onto this post. I’ve got 180,000 km on my 06 330i, and i had to get a tow from the side of the highway 190km from home today. Thankfully I had the upgraded AMA which covered most of it. I’ve had a pump and Tstat kit sitting on the shelf since I purchased the car over a year ago. Was hoping that having it would be enough to guarantee I’d never need it lol. No such luck.
Changed on the weekend. Temps in town hit 32C yesterday, didn't overheat in traffic on the way home so looks like its fixed :-).

On a 330i, no xdrive, it wasn't too bad a job. Didn't remove the fan or the wheel/wheel well and managed to get to all the blots and hose clamps using a variety of tools. Took about 4-5 hours all in thanks to some how to's posted here and elsewhere on the interweb.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 05:55 PM   #83
datbimmer
Wastegate Rattle
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i m6t nav sport

Quote:

Huh? My car is about to get its 3rd pump. @ 154 000 km.

2007 335i E92 Sport, CIC, 6MT, DOCRACE6266 Spacegray/Black
2009 335i xDrive Black/Black Nav AT Individual
Gf: 2011 335i Xdrive Mpack,Nav AT Alpine/SaddleBrown
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 06:36 PM   #84
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by datbimmer View Post
Quote:

Ouch that's unlucky.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 08:23 PM   #85
adam_c
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yea that's pretty unlucky, I meant that if the average lifespan of a water pump is 160k km, most cars are off the road before 320k km
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 01:30 AM   #86
datbimmer
Wastegate Rattle
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i m6t nav sport

Quote:
Yea that's pretty unlucky, I meant that if the average lifespan of a water pump is 160k km, most cars are off the road before 320k km
I feel like N54 wasserpump average lifespan is half that...

2007 335i E92 Sport, CIC, 6MT, DOCRACE6266 Spacegray/Black
2009 335i xDrive Black/Black Nav AT Individual
Gf: 2011 335i Xdrive Mpack,Nav AT Alpine/SaddleBrown
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 12:27 PM   #87
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Quote:
I feel like N54 wasserpump average lifespan is half that...
Yeah N54s chew through water pumps. It's the N52 ones that last quite a long time. Must be the lack of heat vs. the boosted motors.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 07:00 PM   #88
adam_c
Private
Canada
Rep

This thread gave me a nightmare on the weekend, the dream was that when my wife took the car on a road trip to Edmonton the waterpump failed and I had to change it on the side of the high way...

Luckily it didn't happen (she did go to Edmonton), made me wonder if I should buy one now and replace as preventative maintenance. Car has around 166ish
Appreciate 0