E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Logic 7 speaker types & impedence help

01-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
RectalItching
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Logic 7 speaker types & impedence help

I have been reading threads for months doing the homework on e90 audio systems before i post. I just found teh Entertainment Systems definition pdf so i'll be busy with that.Thanks for all your guys' knowledge, ive learned alot, you know who you are. i want to upgrade with my budget in mind. i will probably buy deals little by little to install by Spring, spending about $1k on an amp for all new speakers, a DSP, and install gear.

My logic 7 tweeters are blown, and my rear door speakers distort too.

Please correct me, because i dont know where i have to buy co-axials or components or individual tweeters and at what impedence. how are the front doors, rear doors, center channel, and rear deck config different?

I'm thinking of buying?:
-coaxials-Alpine Type S-rear door and rear deck, center channel
-components-less expensive, quality brand either: CDT, DLS, or Diamond. (pretty sure I don't want Polk) what is better? and whats the next best for slightly more, Rainbow?

I already have a sub and mono amp I had prior. I dont want to replace the oem 8"drivers...what negative impact will cutting power to these have, or should i just leave them alone be fill that frequency?

I will probably get the Alpine Imprint or the JL Audio Cleansweep, because I'm only competent enough for auto tuning. I would need to get the Imprint PXE-660, not the 650, since it offers speed volume calibration?

Is it possible to use just a 4 channel amp, to drive all 13 speakers (I think I lose center channel) with these sound processors? otherwise I would get a 6 channel amp like the JL Audio G6600, or E6450, or A6450 amp, whichever i find a good price on. is the center channel then saved by summing the front channels?. these amps have been discussed as fitting in a oem location and they should have enough power for all new speakers. Finally, the MS-8 is too much and i'll already have a external amp.

Technic or VP Electricity could you sell me battery connectors, harness, and input connectors. I only have power, ground, remote, speaker wire, d-block. i have a Best Buy LOC, but should i use a different one in the e90?

I would appreciate advice on what and what not to buy, keeping in mind my budget, and that I listen to mostly Rock. I wont worry about install, just what i need to make it work. thanks ahead to everyone with help!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

If you have logic 7 you don't have coaxials now

You have components in the front doors and on your back shelf or doors to . I don't know why you would want to replace component speakers with coaxials in most cases. The trouble with the BMW setup and retrofitting it is they used 2 ohm speakers of a small size with little depth and there aren;t that many speakers that will fit or that have that ohm rating, 4 ohm is more standard these days.

I would get the whole thing from VP and or technic because they can give a complete package.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
RectalItching
Private
Rep

ok that helps alot, I'll stay away from co-axials. so then if I wanted to get a really nice set all around i should buy 2 full component sets for front doors and rear deck and then a set of just midwoofers for the rear doors i guess. I'm not too concerned with choosing a specific amp or processor as long as I do my job but I'm not really sure about what speaker brand I will go with, since those quality components are not usually in audio shops available to hear
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #4
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

If you get an MS-8 and replace the blown L7 drivers you can run all the cabin speakers off of the internal amp, install your existing amp/sub in trunk, stay under $1000, and have a loud, clean, kickass system.
      01-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
If you replace your logic 7 speakers I'll buy your front door ones
I also have a pair of alpine sps-400 4" coaxials and Infinity reference 5022i 5 1/4" coaxials I can send you.
I also have the oem connecter to hook up power to the factory battery, the black piece that fits on top.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RectalItching View Post
Technic or VP Electricity could you sell me battery connectors, harness, and input connectors. I only have power, ground, remote, speaker wire, d-block. i have a Best Buy LOC, but should i use a different one in the e90?

I would appreciate advice on what and what not to buy, keeping in mind my budget, and that I listen to mostly Rock. I wont worry about install, just what i need to make it work. thanks ahead to everyone with help!
What I would do is:

- THA555 5-channel amp (front, rear and underseat)
- MS-8
- DLS P4S front components (front replacement)
- 2 sets of Kicker DS400 coaxials (rear and center speaker replacements, leave the rear side OEM and connect them in parallel with the Kicker).

That's $900-$1000 in hardware, plus another $75-$100 in harness, RCA cables, OEM connectors and amp power kit. I would push my budget and get a trunk sub and another THA555 for some $500, that would be really nice.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
RectalItching
Private
Rep

Ok thanks im really liking the THA 555 amp, im going to get it. I overlooked giving the underseat drivers more power because of its 7 ohm impedence. And Technic, a 4 channel amp can only drive all the cabin speakers if it is connected to a MS-8 becuase of its DSP AND 8 channel amp capabilities right, which is why you suggested this package? In other words, the Imprint or CLean sweep would DSP but not power my center channel.

I will also get DLS PS4's, but just to clarify, these are 50mm top mounts, i was thinking they wouldnt fit bottom mount, then realized i cant. i can get a set of RAINBOW SLX's which are 51mm but for a nice price. They obv wouldnt fit doors, how about in the rear deck?

As for Kicker's im not sure ill would like them co'axials more than the Alpines, they handle less power but also the tweeter is smaller. what do u guys think, I havent heard of anyone using co-axials.

Kmarei i can sell or trade you my front door mwoofers later at install. did you try those Alpines and not like them? and i probably wont want to cut in doors for 5-1/4

I have a brand new audiobahn 8000T 900W RMS mono amp and 10" Flame Q sub in a 1cu. ft box.
Technic i would buy another THA 555 for the advantage of class D but i want to sell my amp first. i could have a place bench test it for power. anyone interested in buying it for about 200 OBO shipped? i hope im not hanging myself out to dry for buying Audiobahn
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
no i got both sets from a friend after i fixed his computer
i didn't want to get any payment, so he said you're into car audio take these.
both sets look really good

you can install the 5 1/4" on the rear shelf
i know a few people did it on ths forum
and the 4" alpine's look the same size as the OEM speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Ok thanks im really liking the THA 555 amp, im going to get it. I overlooked giving the underseat drivers more power because of its 7 ohm impedence. And Technic, a 4 channel amp can only drive all the cabin speakers if it is connected to a MS-8 becuase of its DSP AND 8 channel amp capabilities right, which is why you suggested this package? In other words, the Imprint or CLean sweep would DSP but not power my center channel.
The reason of the MS-8 here is that it is what I have -it sounds great- and as a DSP it can take care of your OEM Logic7 system outputs while giving you a much better Logic7 processing than OEM. The MS-8 can power your center channel directly as well if you get a single THA555.

I have not used any Imprint -don't like the way it works- and the Cleansweep will require a summing device, which the MS-8 already has.

Quote:
I will also get DLS PS4's, but just to clarify, these are 50mm top mounts, i was thinking they wouldnt fit bottom mount, then realized i cant. i can get a set of RAINBOW SLX's which are 51mm but for a nice price. They obv wouldnt fit doors, how about in the rear deck?
The E90 front doors and rear deck accept speakers of up to 50-54mm deep depending of the magnet size.

Quote:
As for Kicker's im not sure ill would like them co'axials more than the Alpines, they handle less power but also the tweeter is smaller. what do u guys think, I havent heard of anyone using co-axials.

Kmarei i can sell or trade you my front door mwoofers later at install. did you try those Alpines and not like them? and i probably wont want to cut in doors for 5-1/4

I have a brand new audiobahn 8000T 900W RMS mono amp and 10" Flame Q sub in a 1cu. ft box.
Technic i would buy another THA 555 for the advantage of class D but i want to sell my amp first. i could have a place bench test it for power. anyone interested in buying it for about 200 OBO shipped? i hope im not hanging myself out to dry for buying Audiobahn
The reason of the Kicker suggestion is to keep the price under your budget and also because the rear speakers do not need to be too expensive for the job that they will perform with the MS-8 and Logic7 -surround effects.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
RectalItching
Private
Rep

final audio choice

so it turns out ALL my speakers are blown, i noticed while fading front and back. Still need to get one new center channel speaker but this is what i get:

front- 4" Rainbow SLX 210 components $115
rear doors- 4" rainbow SL 100 $65
rear deck- 5.25" rainbow SL 130 $70
center- CDT Audio Centerstage including two right/left 2' midtweeters and imaging module $100
Alpine PDX-5
Cleansweep & Summing
Blaupunkt THA 555-$100

Hey guys by the way the THA 555 is going for $100 on ebay from a particular seller, however, there is no PNP harness

The PDX-5 will power my front components, deck speakers, and trunk sub
The THA 555 will power the rear doors, underseats, and center channel, with one unused channel

I already have an amp for my trunk sub but its class A/B and with 900 W RMS i think ill be drawing too much juice, especially if i got the MS-8, that would be 3 amps. i think the PDX-5 shall do just fine since a previous thread listed it running 361W true rms or so.

Let me know if you guys give this setup a thumbs up, or if something wouldnt work right. thanks a bunch on all your guy's advice

Technic can you PM me with some info on what i would need from you? and if you would have a solution for the missing THA harness?

Last edited by RectalItching; 01-16-2011 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: detail
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
How did you manage to blow every single speaker with oem amp?
Do you listen with the bass at +10?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
so it turns out ALL my speakers are blown, i noticed while fading front and back. Still need to get one new center channel speaker but this is what i get:

Alpine PDX-5
Cleansweep & Summing
Blaupunkt THA 555-$100

Hey guys by the way the THA 555 is going for $100 on ebay from a particular seller, however, there is no PNP harness

The PDX-5 will power my front components, deck speakers, and trunk sub
The THA 555 will power the rear doors, underseats, and center channel, with one unused channel

I already have an amp for my trunk sub but its class A/B and with 900 W RMS i think ill be drawing too much juice, especially if i got the MS-8, that would be 3 amps. i think the PDX-5 shall do just fine since a previous thread listed it running 361W true rms or so.

Let me know if you guys give this setup a thumbs up, or if something wouldnt work right. thanks a bunch on all your guy's advice

Technic can you PM me with some info on what i would need from you? and if you would have a solution for the missing THA harness?
Please PM with your details...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #13
RectalItching
Private
Rep

i bought this car used this past november. im not sure how anyone blows these speakers.had to be a moron and yeah they probably had the bass way up, like the factory speakers were made to shake houses or somethin. In any case, i dont think there is any other reason i hear the distortion. i thought it was just my mp3 files but then i put a CD in and did the same on different tracks
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #14
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
i bought this car used this past november. im not sure how anyone blows these speakers.had to be a moron and yeah they probably had the bass way up, like the factory speakers were made to shake houses or somethin. In any case, i dont think there is any other reason i hear the distortion. i thought it was just my mp3 files but then i put a CD in and did the same on different tracks
well one theory is all the speakers are blown
i would bet a more likely scenario is the amp is at fault?
can't you disconnect any of the speakers you think are blown (rear shelf is the easiest i think) and try them at home on any old amp you have etc?

i'd bet money not all the speakers are blown
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 12:10 AM   #15
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

Quote:

center- CDT Audio Centerstage including two right/left 2' midtweeters and imaging module $100
Alpine PDX-5
Cleansweep & Summing
Blaupunkt THA 555-$100
Seems like your questions here are fairly under control now. Would you mind sharing with me where these prices are coming from ? Are you certain of the part numbers ?

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #16
wagonmeister
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe View Post
Seems like your questions here are fairly under control now. Would you mind sharing with me where these prices are coming from ? Are you certain of the part numbers ?
Hah, i was just about to ask this same question
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #17
RectalItching
Private
Rep

part numbers and prices

sorry for the delay. i didnt know someone replied again. as for the part numbers listed , they are correct, i have the speakers now but now installed yet. there is a seller on ebay, he must run small quantities of good stuff because i just checked and he has one or two sets of 4' and 5.25' coaxials and even a set of rainbow cs 210's for 200, those are listed as going for 750on a discount audio site we are all familiar with. he has a set of rainbow subs which im sure kick ass. and the blaupunkt is from another ebay seller that has alot in stock for 100 bucks. i would suggest everyone pick one of those up. the oem connector isnt included but technic's harness is all you need anyway.

PM me if you need a tip for the ebay sellers.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #18
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

didn't you start with a logic 7 setup

Are you reprogramming the head unit for a Hi Fi low level signal output?
How are you getting around the Fiberoptic output to the amp or are you
just tapping its outputs for your new speakers and amps.

Last edited by ctuna; 01-29-2011 at 07:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #19
RectalItching
Private
Rep

yea i will be keeping the oem amp to tap the outputs for my Alpine pdx 5 and Blaupunkt THA 555. im not sure i want to get into recoding, its more complicated than i thought. this recode thread is 55 pages! lol

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451145

im hoping my speakers and not the amp are bad or i might have to recode to HI FI first to upgrade

as for the high low level input thing, its kinda over my head in audio knowledge. my other cars had aftermarket head units with RCA's. i think i have to get a LOC, im not sure
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #20
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Those are well known amps

So if they say they take high level outputs there is a good chance they will .
Somebody here should know what they need if not.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #21
RectalItching
Private
Rep

HU recode

Im gonna take my car soon to the shop, I'm still under CPO warranty, maybe they'll replace the amp free. i also contacted the Werks Shop right outside Chicago and Dan, the shop manager seemed enthusiastic about recoding some things. Im looking into the Hi Fi recode, angel eye DRL's and high beam DRL disable. anyway. having a Hi Fi configuration raises a concern for me. Im guessing i can tap into the amp inputs now? is there 4 or 6 channels that i will be using now? because then i thought i could use a single alpine PDX-5 to power my 3 fronts, 4 rears, and trunk sub, and a THA 555 to power my underseats, all coming out of a Cleansweep, no Summing. i am unsure if i will need a MOST converter for this, or anything else besides the recode. i have Technic's harness though
Appreciate 0