E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Whale Watchers TV show

09-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Whale Watchers TV show

Has anyone seen this show on Animal Planet/Discovery? I watched it for the first time last night - and found it somewhat disturbing. Don't get me wrong - I like whales - but it seems that these guys are nothing more than your average ecoterrorist.

On a side note it would be pretty cool to spend a month on a boat going to/from Antarctica though (despite the cold).
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
Ghost151
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 64i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkw15 View Post
Has anyone seen this show on Animal Planet/Discovery? I watched it for the first time last night - and found it somewhat disturbing. Don't get me wrong - I like whales - but it seems that these guys are nothing more than your average ecoterrorist.

On a side note it would be pretty cool to spend a month on a boat going to/from Antarctica though (despite the cold).
I am by no means a supporter of whaling but that show does nothing but promote ecoterrorism. They are lucky the ships they are attacking do not defend themselves with more force than they do because they would be totally justified.

On your side note, I spent 6 months on an icebreaker on a trip from Seattle to Antarctica and back. It was an amazing trips with port calls in Hawaii, Sydney, Melbourne, and New Castle Australia, Hobart Tasmania, Tahiti, Mazatlan, and San Francisco. It was a once in a lifetime trip. I also made several trips to the Arctic. The port calls in Alaska were not quite as exotic but still very cool if you are into the outdoors.
      09-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/whale-wars/

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
ktdw
BMWCCA #401908
Rep

I watched it the other week, and agree that they are just ecoterrorists. Their attitude made me root for the whalers, and laugh at their many failures.

Vishnu PROcede v3, Vishnu Dual Cone Intake, Code3 FMIC, Riss Racing Downpipes, Riss Racing Exhaust, H&R Sport Springs
Best 1/4 mile: 12.583 @ 117.609 mph
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
M6ZeusGod
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdw View Post
I watched it the other week, and agree that they are just ecoterrorists. Their attitude made me root for the whalers, and laugh at their many failures.
Ehh, anyone who annoys the Japanese is ok with me, lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Ive never watched the show, but I certainly dont support whaling. Why is everybody calling them ecoterrorists? Wouldnt an ecoterrorist, terrorize the ecosystem? Arent they trying to preserve the ecosystem which provides our food, water, and oxygen?

Again, Ive never watched the show so im just going off the previews.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
choicez
Major
Rep
Drives: you mad

I've watched Whale Wars for both seasons and I'm addicted. I don't support whaling and I actually root for these guys. I don't believe one second that the Japanese are down there for research purposes only so I don't mind those guys throwing a monkey wrench into the Japanese operations.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #8
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

I don't support whaling, but I just can't stand the captain. There is something goofy about him.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Yeah the captain is a bit strange; now that I think of it he reminds me of the crazy old guy in Jurassic Park.

While I don't agree with everything they do; the "research" excuse the Japanese are using is complete
      09-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #10
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsum View Post
I don't support whaling, but I just can't stand the captain. There is something goofy about him.
Agreed, he's on a constant power trip. He's also very childish at times too.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #11
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdw View Post

Same here. My favorite quote from one of the women on the boat:
"It is so frustrating that they [the whalers] aren't afraid of us. And now they are starting to use some of our own tactics against us! Very frustrating..."

Well boofuckinghoo! They believe in what they are doing just as much as the Sea Shepherds believe in what they are doing. Whining and crying that they don't roll over for you is too bad. I think the Sea Shepherds are all asshats, but I give them credit for being out there in defense of their position. But watching the Japanese hook up 4 whales right in front of them did make me laugh a little. Completely incompetent fools! Plus, they are extremely dangerous, twice ramming other ships.

My opinion on whaling is that if is properly managed like most of the other fisheries, I see no problem with it, as long as the species in question is thriving and not endangered.
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 11:27 PM   #12
M6ZeusGod
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsum View Post
Some info on Paul Watson:

-Watson is responsible for ramming, scuttling, and sinking a slew of boats across the world's waterways

-He is quoted as saying, ”the death of seals is an even greater tragedy than the death of four sealers”.

-in the aftermath of 9/11, Watson announced “there is nothing wrong with terrorism, as long as you win”

-He said, "earthworms are far more valuable than people”
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 11:31 PM   #13
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
People say lots of stuff. Whaling is still wrong. Ive said some crazy stuff in my life, that doesnt mean that I should be judged based on what ive said.

The terrorism comment is weird but id like to see the context. But the seals and earthworms things are fine. We are primates, they are seals and worms. Whos to say which is better?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 11:39 PM   #14
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

I've seen parts of the show it seems pointless to me they barely save any whales its mostly funny to watch lol
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #15
M6ZeusGod
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
People say lots of stuff. Whaling is still wrong. Ive said some crazy stuff in my life, that doesnt mean that I should be judged based on what ive said.
Granted, but he truly believes animals are more important than people. He has the goal of elevating animals and nature above people. He has sunk quite a few ships and preaches his disdain for the human race. I agree that international law has failed to protect these whales, but is ramming a ship into a fishing ship and potentially killing people justifiable to impede whaling?

Here is a little reading on Cpt. Watson
http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/i...asp?indid=1217
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 11:58 PM   #16
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2385 View Post
Granted, but he truly believes animals are more important than people. He has the goal of elevating animals and nature above people. He has sunk quite a few ships and preaches his disdain for the human race. I agree that international law has failed to protect these whales, but is ramming a ship into a fishing ship and potentially killing people justifiable to impede whaling?

Here is a little reading on Cpt. Watson
http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/i...asp?indid=1217
Humans are animals. We are not a separate entity. Human/animals are separate from nature but we still need it. Could we survive without food, water, or air.....nope. I can live without people, I cant live without nature.

You are assuming that humans are more important then whales and thats not up to us, being that we are human, to decide. We are bias. I think that all life should be allowed to live out their days naturally. That captain guy should not be killing or hurting people, and the whalers should not be killing whales.

Im definitely gonna watch this show now. Sounds interesting.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 01:29 AM   #17
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

just donated some money to his sea shepherd organization- i don't agree with all of his motives and tactics, but i think the japanese are despicable when it comes to whaling.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 01:39 AM   #18
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
Humans are animals. We are not a separate entity. Human/animals are separate from nature but we still need it. Could we survive without food, water, or air.....nope. I can live without people, I cant live without nature.

You are assuming that humans are more important then whales and thats not up to us, being that we are human, to decide. We are bias. I think that all life should be allowed to live out their days naturally. That captain guy should not be killing or hurting people, and the whalers should not be killing whales.

Im definitely gonna watch this show now. Sounds interesting.
So you are a hard core vegan then? What about the lives of plants and micro-organisms? Doesn't a broccoli plant, a swine flu virus or a common cold bacteria have the same right to live out its life? How many millions of "lives" have you snuffed out, just today, with antibacterial drugs, or munching on carrots and celery?

Humans are usually at the top of the food chain. Sometimes those lower on the food chain manage to snack on a human, which is fine. But this "can't we just all get along" namby-pamby bullshit doesn't cut it in nature.

You don't see lions letting up on zebras or gazelles on the plains of Africa. If they could, they'd eat every damn thing they could get their paws on. Humans are unique in that we have the mental capacity to understand how our actions have an impact on the environment, and we can choose to manage that impact (or not.) Hunters and fishers are the world's best conservationists. Hunters and fishers in America have done more to protect the overall health and prosperity of the animals they hunt and fish than these Sea Shepherds ever have.

But mostly, it is an "emotional" issue for a lot of people. Seals are cute, you can't kill them! Whales are cool and smart, you can't kill them either! A cow, oh please, those dumbass ugly bastards are just walking tenderloins! A lamb is too cute and cuddly to eat! A chicken? Man, they are noisy, dirty ugly birds, when's dinner?
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 01:57 AM   #19
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
So you are a hard core vegan then? What about the lives of plants and micro-organisms? Doesn't a broccoli plant, a swine flu virus or a common cold bacteria have the same right to live out its life? How many millions of "lives" have you snuffed out, just today, with antibacterial drugs, or munching on carrots and celery?

Humans are usually at the top of the food chain. Sometimes those lower on the food chain manage to snack on a human, which is fine. But this "can't we just all get along" namby-pamby bullshit doesn't cut it in nature.

You don't see lions letting up on zebras or gazelles on the plains of Africa. If they could, they'd eat every damn thing they could get their paws on. Humans are unique in that we have the mental capacity to understand how our actions have an impact on the environment, and we can choose to manage that impact (or not.) Hunters and fishers are the world's best conservationists. Hunters and fishers in America have done more to protect the overall health and prosperity of the animals they hunt and fish than these Sea Shepherds ever have.

But mostly, it is an "emotional" issue for a lot of people. Seals are cute, you can't kill them! Whales are cool and smart, you can't kill them either! A cow, oh please, those dumbass ugly bastards are just walking tenderloins! A lamb is too cute and cuddly to eat! A chicken? Man, they are noisy, dirty ugly birds, when's dinner?
lol, most of that is so full of errors I dont know where to start. Put it this way. Take humans off the planet and there is not overpopulation, pollution or destruction of resources or nuclear weapons. Take animals off the planet and humans could not survive. Hunters and fishermen as conservationist, lol. Yeah thats why people hunt and fish. That issue is too involved to discuss now.

And we are not at the top of any food chain. We are primates. Primates eat plants. Predators catch food and digest it raw. We cannot catch food naturally. We are 99% percent identical to chimps. 1% of our brain became different and now most people think they are special, lol.

All conscious life should have a choice. Bacteria has no feeling, carrots have no feeling. Animals besides humans, have emotions, feelings, thoughts, pain, etc. Why should one species life be above another in terms of thinking conscious life? If we have such great brains, then why do we commit conscious evil acts while animals only act on instinct? If we are so smart whats with all the drugs, violence and stuff that humans do on purpose? Your a primate, get over it. We just appeared on this earth from who knows where. Its not a primates job to decide what lives or dies.

Who cares what lions do in the jungle? You claim we have better brains, yet do the same thing as jungle animals while also raping and murdering our own kind?? This human ego drug has got to stop. Your a monkey, our species has only been relevant for 6k years out of 5 billion earth years. Stop thinking your better then any other conscious creature. You couldn't survive if this planet said no more air, or no more water. Your a slave to the planet, be grateful.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 07:54 AM   #20
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

For those who do not know Paul Watson, the captain of the ship was the founder of Green Peace, and was thrown out the organizations for his over the top actions. He was the person what came up with the idea of driving huge nails into tree so when tree cutters saws hit them the saw would kick back and hurt or kill the cutter which did happen.

Also, the reason he is out on the seas doing this is because there are no laws in the open seas, and he is lucky the Japanese do not fire back, this is why he is not taking the Russian on who also do whaling and they would fire back at him. He is a simple coward.

I am personally all about doing what we can to lesson our impact on the earth and our resources. However, as I tell people like the ones on the Sea Shepherd they are just as much to blame as anyone, and unless they are naked in the wood living off the land they have no room to criticize anyone.

Last edited by Maestro; 09-09-2009 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 08:02 AM   #21
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

As much as I don't like the whalers, I am waiting for the episode where they unleash a can of whoop ass on those tree huggers. That would be epic.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #22
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

I like how they save the earth in their leaky ass ship that's pouring out diesel into the oceans

Other fun facts about Sea Shepard:

They own a salmon fishery, even though they've protested other salmon fisheries

Paul Watson demands his crew eat vegan meals, yet he personally eats hamburgers and steaks.