E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Postage cost for two tyres

12-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
EddieL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport

Postage cost for two tyres

Quick question,

Does anyone know a ball park figure for getting two tyres sent by courier from Surrey to Scotland. What's required from me?

TIA
      12-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
I would think using www.parcel2go.com you could send them for around £8 a piece. You may even get them in one consignment depending on exact size of package and weight.
      12-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
EddieL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Will, think you just saved me some money.

I just bought a pair of Pirelli Sotto Zero Tyres w240 225/40 R18 92v for £250

Was looking at paying £42 to get them delivered but it now looks like nearer £20.

Cheers
      12-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
Tunna_uk
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
I would think using www.parcel2go.com you could send them for around £8 a piece. You may even get them in one consignment depending on exact size of package and weight.
+1. never had a problem with this company. excellent service and they send you text messages to let you know the status of the delivery
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I've paid approx 24 before and I just taped em together!
      12-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #6
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

Paisley freight are very good and cheap, and there are discount codes, kayak1 I think works

You can book online
      12-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
2 tyres taped together will defo be classed as one parcel - as others have said, Use parcel2go, DHL is their courier of choice and a 24 hr service for less than a tenner is a bargain!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
lesfinnie
Panzer
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d SE

Garage List
2007 335d se  [0.00]
If you are an IV postcode take a seat before they tell you cos it's bloody expensive
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
EddieL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOB View Post
Paisley freight are very good and cheap, and there are discount codes, kayak1 I think works

You can book online
I got these guys recommended to me at work but I'd already done Parcel2Go.

Cheers, anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
2 tyres taped together will defo be classed as one parcel - as others have said, Use parcel2go, DHL is their courier of choice and a 24 hr service for less than a tenner is a bargain!
2 tyres as one package was dearer or I'm not doing it right. 21Kg 65x65x52cm is too much volume for the cheap rates. Was eventually £21 which I'm still pleased with but they missed the pick up today so won't get picked up till Wed. now. Bit of a shame but I ain't desperate so I'll stay chilled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesfinnie View Post
If you are an IV postcode take a seat before they tell you cos it's bloody expensive
No Les, I'm not far from Glasgow so normal rates for me.
      12-16-2010, 04:28 AM   #10
EddieL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

TNT have now failed to collect my tyres twice despite assurances. I've paid for next day which they are no longer guaranteeing. No one answers the helpline for ages so I phoned first thing this morning to be told they never had any intention of honouring the collection as it has a Scottish delivery address. They had my contact details but chose not to inform me. When I pressed for a collection date they suggested I leave the item OUTSIDE the address and they would get round to it this week!

I was then told that the larger supermarkets are sub-contacting them and they will get precedence over me. So basically fuck off and stop annoying us
      12-16-2010, 04:43 AM   #11
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieL View Post
TNT have now failed to collect my tyres twice despite assurances. I've paid for next day which they are no longer guaranteeing. No one answers the helpline for ages so I phoned first thing this morning to be told they never had any intention of honouring the collection as it has a Scottish delivery address. They had my contact details but chose not to inform me. When I pressed for a collection date they suggested I leave the item OUTSIDE the address and they would get round to it this week!

I was then told that the larger supermarkets are sub-contacting them and they will get precedence over me. So basically fuck off and stop annoying us
We use couriers all the time (about 40 parcels per day) and they are having huge issues at the moment due to the weather. Many parcels are late arriving at hubs or late leaving hubs which is adding delays. Add that to poor weather conditions in some areas where the vans have been unable to deliver a days parcels (often 100 ish drops per day for most vans) so they are being returned as a failed collection.

There is never normally that amount of failed collections to deal with so all the fail cages are full and the vans are having to go out again with the previous days parcels on PLUS that days deliveries (which are already late!)

THEN add on the extra xmas deliveries as half the nation starts shopping online for presents and it all adds up to a right mess!

Today we should have had 20 parcels arrive, we got 8! Yesterday we had 18 booked and 5 arrived. It has been the same now for a week with many customers getting p!ssed off with us (it's not our fault!!) although many are understanding. Most companies worked all weekend to try and clear the backlog but some areas are still hugely behind. Sheffield for instance has a 7,000 consignment backlog. They have trailers outside full of parcels waiting to be tipped but no longer have room in the depot for any more parcels! If the weather turns this weekend then it will only get worse!

Just for information, the Glasgow City Link depot are now 13,000 consignments behind - they are working to clear in 2 days but have cancelled all 3rd party collections in the area and focussing on shifting what they have to deliver. Can't imagine TNT are in any diferent situation.

Don't order anything else on the internet if you NEED it before xmas is my advice to everyone

Last edited by M3-FAST; 12-16-2010 at 05:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 05:11 AM   #12
EddieL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for that insight. Truly appreciated.

I just wish they had been more honest with me. The wait is not the problem. It's the fact that someone has to be there and they have my contact details but choose not to inform me that they were not coming. If I can get them into the system I will wait my turn for them to be delivered.

I was down at Heathrow for a job yesterday as well, but it was a mad dash to get on the flight home. I could have picked them up myself if we had a van or hire car but the job was at the airport.
      12-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #13
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

www.senditnow.com

£10.50 for 2 tyres taped together with parcelforce, been good for me so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 12:50 PM   #14
raf555
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D

wheelcarrier.co.uk are good for about £12 for two tyres (DHL come pick them up)
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #15
EddieL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys for the extra recommendations. My tyres got collected today so the pressure is off. Like I said I don't mind now waiting for them to be delivered but I was getting embarrased telling the seller that they would be collected on a certain date and noone turning up. To be fair they never once complained.

I just don't like being messed around, and therefore don't like messing anyone else around. If I say I will do something then that is what I do. The first twice they actually said they had no intention of collecting them and just never informed me.

Leave them outside and we'll get them this week ffs, have you ever heard the like.