E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Porsche Service

12-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Porsche Service

So far...I'm very impressed.

After years of putting up with average service at best, I've got a lot of contempt for most car dealers (sales and service) who generally make no effort to impress, win your business or even try to keep your custom! The only exception recently has been the help I've had from Anneka who has really pulled out the stops to ensure I get the right service at Sytner (even though it's at my local Leicester dealer which is nowhere near her!). However, in my experience this really is the exception to the rule (but hats of to Sytner for being proactive....I'll be signing your praises again in a minute) and my experiences with Mercedes dealers in particular would make me think twice before buying another one. Do Mercedes care??....do they buggery!

Porsche however, have been VERY different. Not only did I get a good buying experience which the salesman told me should be the 'fun' part and he'd do his best to make it so, but since then I've also had experience of their after sales service.

Firstly, I happened to menton to the salesman that I wanted to buy the right tool to remove my single-bolt wheels (a very large and expensive torque wrench). The salesman randomly called me a week or so later telling me he'd done some research and recommended where I could get one online at about half the price of anywhere else he'd seen. He got nothing out of that and just did it to be nice!

My car went in last week to have cruise control retrofitted and to have a couple of rattles fixed. Rattles....now theres an area where most dealers often make worse or simply say no fault found. Not in this case...both were fixed first time and no other rattles were created in the fixing of them...result!

However, at the weekend I noticed that the option for the Sport Chrono and the tyre pressure monitoring were no longer available in the on-board computer....I guess as a result of something being deleted when they coded the cruise control.

Anyway, I rang up today to tell them about the problem and the service advisor told me he'd investigate what it could be and call me back in an hour.

First tick....I get that call back within the hour.

Second tick....I get a very genuine sounding apology

Third tick....they're going to pick my car up from my work tomorrow (thats right....next day) to get it fixed and then return it to me.

Now why can't every dealer be like this? I know it's an expensive car but this shouldn't come into it....having said that, there are plenty of BMW's and Mercs that can cost more than my car did yet I've never felt like such a valued customer as I do of Porsche.

Oh, here's the other surprise....the Porsche dealer impressing me so much is a Sytner dealer too
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
which dealership?....good to hear something positive...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Remember what I said about my clutch/flywheel? Deffo result with Porsche service mate. Love em. Miles better than bm.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Have you remapped it yet Andrew?
      12-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

That is good to hear!

How much did they charge for the cruise retrofit?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Little did they know that when they sold the car they would be seeing you on a regular basis

If you are happy then they must be good.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

It's quite surprising a 100K motor doesn't have CC as standard
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

I think at that level/market point things are different. People are in it because they genuinely have a passion for the motors and the recruitment process works differently to reflect this.

I think there was a thread about apprenticships at Ferrari over on PistonHeads a while ago, quite interesting...I imagine Porsche have a similar process in place.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London View Post
I guess Porsche reckon you won't be maintaining a steady cruising speed for long enough...the temptation to press the loud pedal must be overwhelming!

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
which dealership?....good to hear something positive...
Yes, makes a nice change! It's OPC Leicester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Remember what I said about my clutch/flywheel? Deffo result with Porsche service mate. Love em. Miles better than bm.

Matt
Yeah, I remember that now...looks like its not just the one dealer then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Have you remapped it yet Andrew?
Ohhhh thats a can of worms.

Basically, as it's the Gen-2 7TT, it's got the new direct injection engine and as it's so new theres very little knowledge on it. Rumour has it that they don't map very well and that this engine is very close to it's limits without hardware changes.

Even though they can be programmed to make more power for short bursts, the additional boost can make generate too much heat which ultimately ends up producing less power than in stock form!

So, just as my luck would have it....I've gone and bought another car that isn't very easy to tune! Not that it actually needs to be mapped....it's fankly ridiculous as it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
That is good to hear!

How much did they charge for the cruise retrofit?
£400 all-in. I did a bit of searching on the net and the RRP seemed to be about £500 at a dealer. Independents were offering it for £399 all-in and Porsche just matched them!

I also asked them for a new set of wipers and had full intention of paying for them (I'm very fussy with my wipers....a hint of smearing and new set of blades have to go on). They just provided them to me for free even though, by anyone else's standards, there wasn't anything wrong with the set on the car. They said I shouldn;t have to pay for anything like that so soon after buying it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Little did they know that when they sold the car they would be seeing you on a regular basis

If you are happy then they must be good.
Lol...that's right, dealers that don't know me just don't know whats about to hit them.

I am actually extremely patient and ever so polite as I know I'm in another league for fussiness....but this lot really have over-delivered so far!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #11
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London View Post
Optional...seems they'll charge extra for anything they can get away with.

On a new car it's about £300 extra so to get it for £400 as a retrofit (all genuine out-of the factory stuff with the proper stalk etc) is pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
I think at that level/market point things are different. People are in it because they genuinely have a passion for the motors and the recruitment process works differently to reflect this.
Yes, I concur....the people at Porsche seem genuine enthusiasts and know the product very well. I'm one of those annoying bastards that knows more about the cars than the salespeople (as I guess most people on here are) but the salesman answered every question accurately and honestly.

Still, like I said there are plenty of BMW's / Merc's etc that command just as high prices and operate in a similar market so that's why I get so damn annoyed with them....I just think they should also be offering this level of service when you go in and spend £60k plus on an M3 / C63 etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 03:03 PM   #12
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Did you get a complimentary blowjob?
      12-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #13
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ah yes....I missed that bit - they also have a waiting room at the back of the showroom where you can go for a relaxing 'massage'. Bet you didn't get that with the Transporter huh?!?!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #14
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

Quote:
It was an optional extra
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #15
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Ah yes....I missed that bit - they also have a waiting room at the back of the showroom where you can go for a relaxing 'massage'. Bet you didn't get that with the Transporter huh?!?!
I got spit roasted in the bogs by Gary the sales manager and Jim the cleaner.
      12-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #16
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Priceless! I just spat out my beer
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 03:28 PM   #17
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Quote:
Jim said he used his mop handle
      12-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #18
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by themetz View Post
Jim said he used his mop handle

I think it may have been the mop head.
      12-13-2010, 04:15 PM   #19
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post

Priceless! I just spat out my beer
Drinking on a Monday night...... Shame on you.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 04:41 AM   #20
PhilL
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, F15 X5 4.0d

This place should be re-named porkerpost.com at this rate!

I concur with what has already been said; my previous experience with BMW dealers has been so-so (Stratstone Derby won't be seeing me through their doors again that's for sure) but since Anneka has been around here my experience with Sytner Leicester has been excellent. I know it's been said plenty on here already but keep up the good work!

RE Porsche I've not had the pleasure of ownership as yet but when I enquired about a used Cayman recently at Silverstone the salesman couldn't have been more helpful and it was by far the most professionally handled sales enquiry I've experienced.

Coupled with Andrew's experience, Sytner Leicester OPC will likely see me through their doors in the not-too-distant-future
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 05:46 AM   #21
Anneka @ Sytner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: -

This is what I like to read!! It's good to see that so many of you are finding our services much improved

I'd love to make a visit to Porsche at some stage to see how they do things differently (and to stare at the cars) Next year I hope to cross brand more than I do at the moment in service and sales particularly .
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 06:07 AM   #22
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneka @ Sytner View Post

This is what I like to read!! It's good to see that so many of you are finding our services much improved

I'd love to make a visit to Porsche at some stage to see how they do things differently (and to stare at the cars) Next year I hope to cross brand more than I do at the moment in service and sales particularly .
I've just called Sytner Sutton Coldfield about an M3 Coupe.

Prob won't be taking it any further, but not anyones fault. Just spotted a cheaper car with better spec at a much closer indi - with 18 months BMW warranty, it negates the need for me to consider going to BMW directly. Sorry Anekka

Regards
Matt
Appreciate 0