E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Coolant hose blow-out (the sequel)

08-22-2019, 02:57 PM   #1
gde061
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

Coolant hose blow-out (the sequel)

Back in December my upper radiator hose blew apart at the click-on connector. Now a smaller mystery hose had the same thing happen. Anyone know what the name / part no. is for the connector / hose circled in the pictures?

It looks like it's going to be tight to disconnect the lower end of this hose... and also tricky to get at that connector clip on what's left of the upper end. Any advice about the best way to go about it?

Finally, when this happened last time, I remember reading a very detailed post about the N54 cooling system (it might have been a post here, or a page linked to by a post here). It explained at what temps different things are supposed to happen with the thermostat / water pump. I can't for the life of me find that webpage again. Anyone happen to know the one I'm talking about and have a link to it??

Thanks!

p.s. -- I am seriously thinking about taking this car to a shop and tell them replace all the hoses and rubber under the hood. However the place I'd probably take it to is 25 miles away, so any tricks for cobbling this broke hose together just long enough to get me there?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 08:39 PM   #2
gde061
Private First Class
Rep

OK, last things first -- I found where I read about the cooling systems... buried on the forum here are these BMW University modules that had those details about the coolant pathways, etc. If your like me and can't parse 1,000 search hits easily, here's the link: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1360573 (scroll down a few posts from the top)

Then for the quick-fix thing: there are some threads here about getting a metalic coupling that you put on the head after removing the plastic OEM one, and then attach the hose to that...
. I think that might work for me to get to a shop, but I'm not sure it's the same hose. I think mine has one of those "snap on" connectors on it, but it's hard to see for sure.

As far as I can come up with, I'm thinking this is the "Cylinder head to thermostat hose", P/N 11537541992 but it would be really great if someone could confirm that for me whose had to fix this also.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 09:06 PM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Yes. That is the t-stat to head hose.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 11:14 PM   #4
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
DIY fix thread: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1618232

Replacement aluminum hose fitting: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-335i-11...53.m1438.l2649
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 07:23 AM   #5
gde061
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
Good stuff -- I've gotten less and less trusting of eBay... seems there are more shady sellers than legit these days, and hard to spot the legit ones as they are lumping reviews under "products" results rather than specific listings. However that fitting is 1/3 the price of the one I saw at ECS's website, so I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for the links!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gde061 View Post
Good stuff -- I've gotten less and less trusting of eBay... seems there are more shady sellers than legit these days, and hard to spot the legit ones as they are lumping reviews under "products" results rather than specific listings. However that fitting is 1/3 the price of the one I saw at ECS's website, so I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for the links!
I got my parts for the aluminum bib on Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 10:52 AM   #7
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I got my parts for the aluminum bib on Amazon.
same.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #8
///Mik3
gonna miss the M, but the wagon is sweet!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Wagon

Garage List
if you are ready to just bring it to a shop but the shop is only 25 miles away, why not just tow it?
      08-29-2019, 08:33 AM   #9
gde061
Private First Class
Rep

Got the aluminium hose bib recommended above. Was able to fish out the part of the old bib that was in the hose with my finger. However it basically came out missing huge chunks so now I think I either need to shop vac out the hose and/or get under the car and disconnect at the t-stat and inspect for debris.

On top of that, the other side of the plastic bib cracked off in the head so I had to fish that out with my finger and carefully try to get it cleaned out with a rag. Whatever the plastic is, it is so brittle it literally crumbles in my fingers into dust.

Seriously, is this normal? Car had Blue coolant, so I don't think it was from an incompatible antifreeze... but the orange/brownish tint makes me thing maybe oil in coolant -- either way it looks like chemicals dissolved it to me!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 01:36 PM   #10
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Got the aluminium hose bib recommended above. Was able to fish out the part of the old bib that was in the hose with my finger. However it basically came out missing huge chunks so now I think I either need to shop vac out the hose and/or get under the car and disconnect at the t-stat and inspect for debris.

On top of that, the other side of the plastic bib cracked off in the head so I had to fish that out with my finger and carefully try to get it cleaned out with a rag. Whatever the plastic is, it is so brittle it literally crumbles in my fingers into dust.

Seriously, is this normal? Car had Blue coolant, so I don't think it was from an incompatible antifreeze... but the orange/brownish tint makes me thing maybe oil in coolant -- either way it looks like chemicals dissolved it to me!
Yes it is normal. I just changed every hose on my 06. The only 2 that were bad were the 2 you changed already. The hot engine ruins the plastic fittings inside the hoses. The rest of the hoses don't get cooked like those 2 do. My theory is they get hotter than the rest of the hoses after each engine shut down. None of the other hoses have plastic connected directly to the engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 07:17 PM   #11
gde061
Private First Class
Rep

Apparently that's not all that gets ruined... the little pop-up dip-sticky thing in the coolant tank broke off as I was going through the air purge procedure and caught it on the cap... it was all crumbly and brown too.

Anyway, to give a complete update... I did use a shop vac with a long piece of tubing attached with duct-tape to snake out that t-stat coolant hose and came up with what looks like it is the chunk that went missing from that hose bib in the picture. Clamped down the hose to the new aluminum hose bib, the way it's been done forever and no leaks, did a 10 minute test drive, temp gauge stayed on cold side and so I hope that's the end of this episode. However I'm still a little put-off about the water pump possibly running dry (the refill basically took 6+ quarts of coolant!) so I'm going to see about getting someone to do a complete cooling system "refresh" as it seems to be called.

Last edited by gde061; 08-30-2019 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 06:18 AM   #12
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
OK, last things first -- I found where I read about the cooling systems... buried on the forum here are these BMW University modules that had those details about the coolant pathways, etc. If your like me and can't parse 1,000 search hits easily, here's the link: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1360573 (scroll down a few posts from the top)

Then for the quick-fix thing: there are some threads here about getting a metalic coupling that you put on the head after removing the plastic OEM one, and then attach the hose to that...
. I think that might work for me to get to a shop, but I'm not sure it's the same hose. I think mine has one of those "snap on" connectors on it, but it's hard to see for sure.

As far as I can come up with, I'm thinking this is the "Cylinder head to thermostat hose", P/N 11537541992 but it would be really great if someone could confirm that for me whose had to fix this also.
Quote:

Can you just cut the hose like in the video? I looked at my hose and there isn't much slack and it could be too short?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 07:58 AM   #13
gde061
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Can you just cut the hose like in the video? I looked at my hose and there isn't much slack and it could be too short?
I followed the tutorial in the PDF linked by arkei6 -- for me it didn't look like there would be enough hose if I cut it off as well... but also in my case, cutting wouldn't have mad a difference because the hose bib had already fragmented -- I'd still have had to snake out the debris / disconnect at the t-stat.

Another thing I don't like about the way he does it in the video is that connecting the hose first, then trying to connect the coupler to the block increase the chance of cross threading the bolts in the head. The PDF tutorial is pretty explicit on this point. My 335xi had extra oil-cooler lines running from the oil filter housing, so it was a real tight fit to get onto those bolts and start them up properly by hand -- I wouldn't want to be fighting with the connected hose when doing that. My guess is that the particular 525i application in the video has more allowance so cutting the hose worked for him, but might not work for a 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 10:00 AM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I followed the tutorial in the PDF linked by arkei6 -- for me it didn't look like there would be enough hose if I cut it off as well... but also in my case, cutting wouldn't have mad a difference because the hose bib had already fragmented -- I'd still have had to snake out the debris / disconnect at the t-stat.

Another thing I don't like about the way he does it in the video is that connecting the hose first, then trying to connect the coupler to the block increase the chance of cross threading the bolts in the head. The PDF tutorial is pretty explicit on this point. My 335xi had extra oil-cooler lines running from the oil filter housing, so it was a real tight fit to get onto those bolts and start them up properly by hand -- I wouldn't want to be fighting with the connected hose when doing that. My guess is that the particular 525i application in the video has more allowance so cutting the hose worked for him, but might not work for a 3 series.
There is no reason to cut the hose. It would be too short if it was cut. I decided to bolt the aluminum bib into the head first for two reasons: (1) reduces the chance of stripping the mounting bolts into the head; (2) takes any guess work out of correctly orienting the new hose bib to the hose. The hose naturally orients itself to the bib if the bib is installed into the head first.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
gde06116.00
      09-16-2019, 07:58 PM   #15
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Planning to do mine....it's original!
How did u remove the metal collar on the hose? In fact how do u detach the plastic connector from the hose? Just yank it?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 07:09 AM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
How did u remove the metal collar on the hose? In fact how do u detach the plastic connector from the hose? Just yank it?
www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1618232
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 07:13 AM   #17
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
I would just use a dremmel. If you don't have any try a flat blade but that might screw up the hose.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 08:50 AM   #18
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I would just use a dremmel. If you don't have any try a flat blade but that might screw up the hose.
No need to dremmel anything, as you run a risk of damaging the hose.

Follow the pdf instructions and simply crush the clamp with the bib inside it.
Once the plastic is broken remove it and simply slide off the old clamp.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 09:18 AM   #19
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post

Honestly I don't think crushing and deforming old hose is great either. Dremmel seems like better option IMO. Or just make a half deep slit and pry it off easy. Just like the intercooler pipings.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #20
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Honestly I don't think crushing and deforming old hose is great either. Dremmel seems like better option IMO. Or just make a half deep slit and pry it off easy. Just like the intercooler pipings.
Come on man, it's a RUBBER hose reinforced with nylon thread. It's supposed to flex, that is why they are made of rubber...

One slip of a Dremel cutting wheel will trash a perfectly good $65 hose.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 11:26 AM   #21
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post

Crushing + My Clumsiness + Proximity to Vital Engine Parts = Bad Things.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 09:28 PM   #22
mrdavidjin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Are you referring to these lines?

I'm also trying to figure out what these hoses/pipes under the engine are.

Name:  IMG_1703.JPG
Views: 3394
Size:  375.1 KB
Appreciate 0