E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Windshield Replacement - With or Without green glass?

01-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
aniv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport

Windshield Replacement - With or Without green glass?

I might have to get my windshield replaced as I just discovered a small crack on the bottom passenger side. It looks like a star crack but I dont see any impact marks, could be from stress.

I am going to take it to the dealership tomorrow to determine if its covered under warranty else I will have to contact my Statefarm agent to file a claim.

I was looking at the cost of parts from tischer, there are two different types of glass for 2011 335d, with and without green color. Which one is the default one and recommended?

I also have the rain sensor, alarm etc. Hopefully the deductible for this isn't too much.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I just went through this process. I had a $200 deductible, and was told by my insurance co. (the one who does estimates specifying used parts on new cars and probably is #1 in advertising on tv) that they WILL NOT pay for OEM. I turned it into a game and said I understand that but rather than take my car to the #1 glass co. in the nation with whom you're in bed with, I'll go to my dealership no matter what it costs (I'm not made of $$$, just playin because the girl was reading a script). Anyway, I can tell you the glass co. charges just under $900 for OEM. I can only imagine what the dealership charges (just like with my extended warranty inquiry, I could not get a single dealership to call me back on the windshield).

I opted for aftermarket, but they botched the install job. The top edge didn't meet my roof and wind came into the car. The next day they put in the OEM Saint Gobain Sekurit. There is no green border that I am aware of. Although the logo in the lower driver side of the glass is not the same as my original. They also let the rearview mirror hang by the cord when they do the job, which to me is lazy half-baked, just as many techs let brake calipers hang by the brake lines. Long story short, there is some truth to if you can get it repaired, just do so, rather than have people remove the glass. g/l...

Oh, one last notation--a rattle that I lived from for over 4 years from day one, is now gone after getting the new windshield. What great quality work they do in Regensberg!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
johninjax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X128i LeMans Blue M Sport

In Florida, if you have comprehensive insurance you get full glass coverage. I had my winshield replaced at N/C. The installer used my VIN and installed OEM BMW stamped glass and new sensors. He came to the house and completed repairs in 1/2 hour.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
aniv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the valuable feedback guys I will update the post with today's proceedings.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
badassfajita
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 e70 3.5i

How long is the crack? I've had even 10-12" cracks repaired pretty well covered by insurance. I would recommend avoiding the replacement route on such a new car.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
getBMWparts
Rep
Drives: BMW Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniv View Post
I might have to get my windshield replaced as I just discovered a small crack on the bottom passenger side. It looks like a star crack but I dont see any impact marks, could be from stress.

I am going to take it to the dealership tomorrow to determine if its covered under warranty else I will have to contact my Statefarm agent to file a claim.

I was looking at the cost of parts from tischer, there are two different types of glass for 2011 335d, with and without green color. Which one is the default one and recommended?

I also have the rain sensor, alarm etc. Hopefully the deductible for this isn't too much.
PM me the last 7 digits of your VIN# and I'll be glad to give you a part number/BMW MSRP on the correct factory replacement windshield for your vehicle.

Unfortunately, we don't ship windshields(shipping costs are too high and they are just too fragile).

I'll be happy to help you find the correct part # though!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
aniv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassfajita View Post
How long is the crack? I've had even 10-12" cracks repaired pretty well covered by insurance. I would recommend avoiding the replacement route on such a new car.
The crack was only around 0.5" but I cant stand a single scratch or bump on my car, gadgets etc. I lose my sleep over it and I guess repair would have been more than sufficient but knowing myself I chose to replace it. The SA @ BMW of Austin recommended a repair for free but I had to politely decline the offer. They did a great job and it looks like new.All sensors were replaced too.

Thanks for the help Jason but I already got it replaced. Wish I had seen it little earlier. Total cost out of the door was $702. It is the one without the green tint, I was told '11 cars dont come with the green tint anymore. However I will be ordering some easy mod's next month, will hit you up on AIM
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #8
wizardsway
Jim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I had my windshield replaced 4 months ago and my fiance just had hers replaced they replaced with Pilkington windshields that's is the company that makes the windshields for BMW they come with rain sensor and condensation sensor the are also Green tint / green shade windshields from factory at least our cars were i have a 2006 325i and fiance has a 2007 328i they also replace all molding around windshield along the top they really did a great job took 2 guy's about 1 hour all sensors work like they did from factory.

I also live in Florida and the were replaced under insurance for free but i did see on the paper work the whole job completed was 699.00

Wife's BMW 2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
aniv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah cars before 2010 had the green shade on them. My car didn't have it neither did any of the new ones in the lot. They also replaced the molding and it also came with the sensors.

Must be nice to live in Florida, everyday I get on the highway to go to work there are at least 3 or 4 of those huge construction trucks carrying rocks etc. pisses me off, doesn't matter what time of the day I drive I always see them.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #10
scrufy
Zoom Zoom This
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Short Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@Tischer View Post
PM me the last 7 digits of your VIN# and I'll be glad to give you a part number/BMW MSRP on the correct factory replacement windshield for your vehicle.

Unfortunately, we don't ship windshields(shipping costs are too high and they are just too fragile).

Just wanted to give John a +1
When I needed some parts last summer- Tischer did a bit and helped me out of a jam.
Tischer has done right by me every time. No, I don't work there or have anything to do with them. haha
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 06:48 AM   #11
rigdowntex
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

For Gawds sake don't let them talk you out of having it done at BMW, I did and still regret it. Crappy install of rubber seal, even after re-doing it, mirror fell off(yeah I had a radar detector hanging off it, before). Your choice on who you take it too.....RDT
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 06:50 AM   #12
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

You can still get it done by BMW and not have BMW do it. Find out what glass company your BMW dealer uses and go to them directly.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #13
hope335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92, 2007 , jet black

I got my replaced by the dealer $1400 OTD insurance pay, geico allows you to go to the dealer if the car is a E92 because the glass is part of some type of safety and you need especial tool to do it (at least that what the said to me)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 11:03 AM   #14
LacesOut
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@Tischer View Post

Hey Jason I know it's been a while but I just found this posit and was wondering if I could PM you my vin for a windshield model lookup.

Mine just cracked, last time progressive gave me a crappy non-OEM windshield and I was to be prepared before I call them up.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 12:14 PM   #15
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I had mine done by Safelite last summer. Non-OEM glass too. It has been perfect so far, and the guy who came out was really knowledgeable about BMWs and European cars. Maybe it's just my local office that is good.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 12:30 PM   #16
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
I had mine done by Safelite last summer. Non-OEM glass too. It has been perfect so far, and the guy who came out was really knowledgeable about BMWs and European cars. Maybe it's just my local office that is good.
Same here. My guy who replaced my glass was their Euro guy who mostly replaced glass on Mercedes, Audis, and BMWs. He knew everything that needed to be done and did an awesome job. I actually had him twice within two weeks due to an unfortunate rock that smacked the corner of my windshield only a week later.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 02:54 PM   #17
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
I had mine replaced at the dealer last month. I think it was $1800 or so, glass + install, covered 100% by insurance. The dealer will lookup which windshield you need by VIN. I had them do a couple of outstanding recalls and the annual inspection while they had the car, worked out perfectly.

They did an absolutely perfect job, you would never know it had ever been touched. Unlike literally every single other windshield I have ever had replaced. Some glass companies are complete hacks.

Thankfully, in Maine, by law you can insist on new OEM parts when having your car repaired. The insurance company is allowed to try to get you to go with their aftermarket/used crap by use of incentives. Typically, deductible waivers and extended warranties. Of course, OEM parts can result in the car being totaled if it isn't worth much. I'm insured with AIG, who use Safelite for their glass coverage, and they tried the "I'll have to get special approval to have the dealer do it" line - but of course it was instantly approved due to the aforementioned law.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0