E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Blakhawk Farms Raceway 9/13

09-17-2017, 06:25 PM   #1
patsbimmer1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SSii M3

Blakhawk Farms Raceway 9/13

I was at Blackhawk Farms Raceway on 9/13 for their open track day. It was my 3rd time out, first full day in the intermediate group and the first time with a gopro in the car. I improved on my times from August when I was there and got into the 1:29's a couple times but stayed in the 1:31 range most of the day. My brakes continue to be the weakest point on the car and with Stoptech Street/track pads and ECS slotted rotors I get some glazing as the day goes on. The ATE Typ200 fluid holds up well and my oil temps stay in the 250-260 range. This car continues to impress me and others at the track but it's also not shy about showing me that without climbing down the rabbit hole that is a track build, it's a great daily driver and a so-so track day car. I'll continue to work on the driver mod for now.

And without further ado, here is my first session out that day.

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
SpartaEvolution
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E39 M5, E36 328racecar

Nice job! Your laps look really consistent, and relatively free of traffic!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 08:11 AM   #3
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
patsbimmer1 Very nice! I was there the day after for SCCA Track Night in America in my e30. Curious, what mod list are you running? Specifically suspension, tire and brake pad?

And Blackhawk is such a brake heavy track that it's easy to overcook the brakes. Regardless, such a fun and scenic track... especially this time of year
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 09:23 AM   #4
patsbimmer1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartaEvolution View Post
Nice job! Your laps look really consistent, and relatively free of traffic!
Thank you! Traffic wasn't too bad that day and it definitely lightened up by the last 2 sessions of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
patsbimmer1 Very nice! I was there the day after for SCCA Track Night in America in my e30. Curious, what mod list are you running? Specifically suspension, tire and brake pad?

And Blackhawk is such a brake heavy track that it's easy to overcook the brakes. Regardless, such a fun and scenic track... especially this time of year
I'm running Michelin PSS 265/35r18 rear and 245/40r18 front, Bilstein B14 coilovers with CAtuned adjustable sway bar links in front and OEM spec alignment with camber trending more negative, StopTech street/track pads front and rear and ECS slotted front rotors/OEM rear rotors

Power: MHD tune stage 2+ with race cooling on, VRSF 7" IC, VRSF DP's, BMS intake, BMS catch can, 335is clutch and stock oil cooler.

I think that's all. Blackhawk is awesome and I only live about 30 minutes from there so that makes it's appeal that much stronger for me. I'm thinking that next year I will get up to Road America for an event or 2. I've been told to check out Northwoods Shelby Club to run with. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 11:46 AM   #5
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsbimmer1 View Post
I'm running Michelin PSS 265/35r18 rear and 245/40r18 front, Bilstein B14 coilovers with CAtuned adjustable sway bar links in front and OEM spec alignment with camber trending more negative, StopTech street/track pads front and rear and ECS slotted front rotors/OEM rear rotors

Power: MHD tune stage 2+ with race cooling on, VRSF 7" IC, VRSF DP's, BMS intake, BMS catch can, 335is clutch and stock oil cooler.

I think that's all. Blackhawk is awesome and I only live about 30 minutes from there so that makes it's appeal that much stronger for me. I'm thinking that next year I will get up to Road America for an event or 2. I've been told to check out Northwoods Shelby Club to run with. Any suggestions?

Ok so you have ALOT left in her! I'm far from a pro-driver but also very familiar with Blackhawk Farms. It's one of my favorite home tracks

I ran a side by side of a clean lap in your video next to a video from when I was out there in my old 335 a few years ago. Very similar mod list, except that I had an LSD. I suspect that I may have had a little more power. But still some interesting takeaways!

Noticed a vast difference in speed entering and exiting turn #2 (the slight left kink before the carousel). I'm assuming you're braking as you enter the kink? If so, not necessary. Just lift throttle a little bit. Then as you set up for the Carousel, stay as far left before turn-in as possible. A track pro once told me that you should get as close to the left as possible where you almost hit the cone. Turn 3a, better to brake too early than too late. You want to late apex that corner as much as possible as to set yourself up for that slight left kink and making the car as settled as possible leading into the scariest part of the track, turn 4. You seemed to handle turn 4 quite well. It's always a bit of a pucker moment getting familiar with that corner and the nasty alligators on the right.

The only other area that stuck out was the kink at 6a. Assuming you're braking before that kink? If so, this is a "boys become men moment" assuming you trust your brakes. I ran a semi upgraded pad (don't recall which ones) during this video. You can actually go WOT until before the kink, let off throttle to setup for the kink and then once through the kink and straightened out, hit the brakes HARD.

This was good for consistent 1:23's when I was there. With a few of these changes, you should easily be able to shave off a good 5-6 seconds a lap and then gradually push yourself lap by lap from there. This would place you firmly in a solid "advanced" run group at this track

Hope this helps!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
      09-27-2017, 03:53 PM   #6
patsbimmer1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

sirdaft1 Wow! I never expected that kind of analysis! You nailed it on some parts there. Coming through 2 I am not braking but I am riding the throttle and not necessarily accelerating through, just maintaining speed. My last instructor had told me to stay right and get deeper into the corner instead of going left. In later sessions I was trying it different ways and by the end I was hanging far left then coming into the carousel.

3a was a struggle for me that whole day as well as in August. I keep telling myself to "kill the cone" as I come in but I either overcook it or turn to early and the front end pushes then I lose speed going to 4. I'm glad to hear your comments on 4 because last year I wasn't pushing hard enough there and this year I made it a point to improve that one along with hitting my apex in 5 and allowing the car to drift out more. Your comment about braking makes sense because I think I am late braking at the cone then trying to turn in to quickly.

I'm not braking at 6a but I am lifting before, coasting then braking after. I know what you mean by the "men out of boys" comment. I have accelerated through the kink and slammed the brakes right after and had a few moments where I felt like the rear end was going to come off the ground. A couple times the back got loose from the weight shifting. It's a pucker moment for sure. This is a corner where I just don't have a lot of confidence in my brakes but they've proven to me a few times that they will indeed slow me down enough to make it through.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 04:10 PM   #7
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
sirdaft1 Wow! I never expected that kind of analysis! You nailed it on some parts there. Coming through 2 I am not braking but I am riding the throttle and not necessarily accelerating through, just maintaining speed. My last instructor had told me to stay right and get deeper into the corner instead of going left. In later sessions I was trying it different ways and by the end I was hanging far left then coming into the carousel.

3a was a struggle for me that whole day as well as in August. I keep telling myself to "kill the cone" as I come in but I either overcook it or turn to early and the front end pushes then I lose speed going to 4. I'm glad to hear your comments on 4 because last year I wasn't pushing hard enough there and this year I made it a point to improve that one along with hitting my apex in 5 and allowing the car to drift out more. Your comment about braking makes sense because I think I am late braking at the cone then trying to turn in to quickly.

I'm not braking at 6a but I am lifting before, coasting then braking after. I know what you mean by the "men out of boys" comment. I have accelerated through the kink and slammed the brakes right after and had a few moments where I felt like the rear end was going to come off the ground. A couple times the back got loose from the weight shifting. It's a pucker moment for sure. This is a corner where I just don't have a lot of confidence in my brakes but they've proven to me a few times that they will indeed slow me down enough to make it through.
You're welcome! Hopefully my comments didn't come across too "know it all"-ish. I'm still learning myself

Your comment about the final corner absolutely makes sense. In fact, the day after you were there (when I was there), a Dodge Challenger cooked its brakes coming into that corner and went full speed into the marsh. I watched the entire thing. Fortunately the weeds in the marsh slowed him down after going in a few hundred feet and he only lost a bumper. Better to lose it there than losing them going into turn 1! They call that "Going to Canada" lol

And this is why I don't ride a motorcycle at the track (start at 3:50)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 08:31 AM   #8
patsbimmer1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
You're welcome! Hopefully my comments didn't come across too "know it all"-ish. I'm still learning myself

Your comment about the final corner absolutely makes sense. In fact, the day after you were there (when I was there), a Dodge Challenger cooked its brakes coming into that corner and went full speed into the marsh. I watched the entire thing. Fortunately the weeds in the marsh slowed him down after going in a few hundred feet and he only lost a bumper. Better to lose it there than losing them going into turn 1! They call that "Going to Canada" lol

And this is why I don't ride a motorcycle at the track (start at 3:50)
Not at all! I appreciate all of the help I can get! That video made my palms sweat just thinking about it. A buddy of mine went through the marsh and stuffed his s52 swapped e30 into the tire wall last summer. Damp track + slicks =

Last edited by patsbimmer1; 09-28-2017 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 10:32 AM   #9
E30_335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Nice job
2011 335i Sport, M3 control arms front/rear, ECS Tuning rear trailing arms, Bilstein HD's, StopTech BBK, Drexel LSD, Dinan camber plates, FBO's with Cobb Stage 2 tune, Corsa exhaust, 18x9 D-Force, 255/35 R-S4's
https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7348/27630930216_573ce3d512_m.jpg
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 03:57 PM   #10
patsbimmer1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30_335i View Post
Nice job
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 04:03 PM   #11
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not at all! I appreciate all of the help I can get! That video made my palms sweat just thinking about it. A buddy of mine went through the marsh and stuffed his s52 swapped e30 into the tire wall last summer. Damp track + slicks =

Doesn't look like that link/pic works
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 10:58 AM   #12
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Usually there aren't amber cones on Blackhawk. Look for blue paint markings on the payment. Turn in late on #1 and #3. Turn #5 changes from lap to lap (at least for me) depending on how other cars lay tire down. Turn #5 exit seems rough, and you might think that will be bumpy, but I have went wide and found that isn't so bad and helps with transition to the left side of the track because my car wants to drift there (I notice sirdaft1 car as well) Turn #6 is confusing because of the main track entrance gate. Is good to go past the entrance and start turning right instead of turning right before the entrance. I use the silo for reference, when my car is pointing towards the silo I turn right. I like Blackhawk. Not a lot of amateur drivers do, because is fast, short and without much run off.
Appreciate 1
sirdaft12202.50