E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Active Cruise Control REMOVAL (not retrofit)

07-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
Jet2408
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Montego e92 335i

Active Cruise Control REMOVAL (not retrofit)

I recently purchased a used '07 e92 335i. Completely thrilled with the car.

It came with Active Cruise Control- upon my first attempt to use it, my display read 'Active Cruise Control Malfunction'. I've read that that error can be caused by misalignment- anything from snow to rain, etc.

I had a VIN vehicle inquiry printed out (unrelated) and noticed a Defect Code '6631001500 - Long range sensor, ACC (active cruise control) permanent malfunction'. I can't find any information on this. Does anyone have any experience with this or information on the code?

As my car is manual, and my commute without too much traffic, the active cruise control is not that attractive to me. As I may want to change my front bumper cover in the future, I'm wondering what all is involved in removing the ACC from my car?

I've read that Dynamic Cruise Control is standard- will removing the ACC allow me to just have that feature?

I know I can't just remove the sensor- there is a different control stalk for it, possibly a different cluster.

Lastly, what coding would need to be done for this?

Any input or information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

you need to remove sensor, LDM module in driver's legroom and switch stalk
replace switch stalk with regular switch stalk with cruise (there are plenty on ebay)
code options (remove SA541 and add SA544)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

I'll trade you all my stock parts for all your stock parts.

I'll send you my cruise control stalk. E92 front bumper grill mesh. (No hole for sensor)

You send me front sensor, cc stalk, and active cruise control control box thing in drivers side footwell.

The coding is just a standard VO (vehicle order) change. As stated above. Remove active cruise control and add dynamic cruise control. Code CAS and Komi I believe. Possibly a few other modules. DSC.

Cluster is the same.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBooSTIn90 View Post
I'll trade you all my stock parts for all your stock parts.

I'll send you my cruise control stalk. E92 front bumper grill mesh. (No hole for sensor)

You send me front sensor, cc stalk, and active cruise control control box thing in drivers side footwell.

The coding is just a standard VO (vehicle order) change. As stated above. Remove active cruise control and add dynamic cruise control. Code CAS and Komi I believe. Possibly a few other modules. DSC.

Cluster is the same.
Lol good luck stealing his ACC. Smooooooth
      07-13-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
Reckless335
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 335i e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
If it doesn't work, why just not use it? Can you not use regular cruise control without it being "active"? Excuse me if that's a dumb question, as I just have the normal cruise control, but I would assume you could enable and disable the "active" part. The same as you can enable and disable the rain sensing wipers. I have to hit a button for my wipers to be rain sensing, otherwise they're just normal wipers. Is this not the same with cruise control?
      07-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
Jet2408
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Montego e92 335i

AWDBooSTIn90, sorry I know the value of the parts. If the permanent malfunction isn't related to the sensor, then I'm selling it. My next step was a feeler thread for the sale. If you're interested in buying it, or a trade plus cash, then we can talk.

latino1ny, I have been not using it. I want to sell it, but am looking for further information on the removal and any associated issues that may arise. As far as enable/disable the active component, I don't think that's possible. If its too much of a hassle, I'll just leave it in and ignore it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #7
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

I never said it had to be an even swap. I was just offering for your convenience. Lmk what you think. Pm me
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #8
bousinou228i
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Any information

Hello all,

New to the forum here and I wondered if anyone had information about converting Active Cruise to Regular Cruise. I have a e92 335 that has active that doesn't work bc it needs alignment. I'd like to remove the active parts and replace with standard dynamic. Maybe sell the Active components. Any help or direction would be appreciated! Thanks!

Jason
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 02:07 PM   #9
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Wouldn't it be easier to just "align" it? I presume it's just a software function that you activate with a BMW program.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 09:54 AM   #10
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to just "align" it? I presume it's just a software function that you activate with a BMW program.
Actually, the process to align the active cruise control involves putting the car into a special rig, that uses mirrors to calibrate the system.

I don't know how much it would cost, but if the sensor is out of alignment, I'm guessing something was damaged, or replaced, and the sensor needs to be repositioned. If that's the case, I'm guessing cost would be ~ $500 - but that's just a WAG.

I think you should be able to simply recode the car, remove 541 (Active Cruise Control) and add 544 (Dynamic Cruise Control - cruise with downhill braking) - no sense going to 540, regular cruise control, with ACC everything it there for 544. I'm guessing that would work, even with the sensor, and LDM (Longitudinal Dynamics Management) module hooked up. But if not, recoding, and disconnecting the ACC sensor, at the front of the car, and the LDM, under the steering column, should definitely get 544 working.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 08:36 PM   #11
BIMMER_Tech 631
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i TIAG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
Actually, the process to align the active cruise control involves putting the car into a special rig, that uses mirrors to calibrate the system.

I don't know how much it would cost, but if the sensor is out of alignment, I'm guessing something was damaged, or replaced, and the sensor needs to be repositioned. If that's the case, I'm guessing cost would be ~ $500 - but that's just a WAG.

I think you should be able to simply recode the car, remove 541 (Active Cruise Control) and add 544 (Dynamic Cruise Control - cruise with downhill braking) - no sense going to 540, regular cruise control, with ACC everything it there for 544. I'm guessing that would work, even with the sensor, and LDM (Longitudinal Dynamics Management) module hooked up. But if not, recoding, and disconnecting the ACC sensor, at the front of the car, and the LDM, under the steering column, should definitely get 544 working.
Just to revive an old thread and add some new info,

- One thing, the previous owner of my car had "rode up" on a median in a shopping center which jarred the sensor loose (without breaking anything) which caused the system to need an alignment. So for anyone interested, pretty much any movement of that sensor (bad enough pot hole at the right angle, hitting bottom of bumper on curb, etc) will cause it to go out of "spec". Using any BMW scanner you will then see a specific code "Active Cruise Control Malfunction" HOWEVER, if the sensor or any other component is damaged or defective (Sensor itself, LDM, etc) there will be a different, more specific code.

As far as pricing on the alignment goes, out here in NY, had a couple dealers quote me between $250-$350 for active cruise control alignment, basically explaining to me its about an hour and a half to 2 hours labor.

Though you are totally correct in regards to coding out the ACC option ($541) and adding Dynamic cruise control ($544), or even regular for that matter, its a no go. The LDM module can not be coded, they appear to be the same part # on RealOEM (for dynamic and adaptive) however im not sure how to code that specific module to not look for ACC. When i changed the VO, i was still getting a "Cruise Control Malfunction" error. I looked through CAS, FRM, KOMBI and any other module i could think would talk to the LDM to dictate the presence of ACC vs DCC but couldn't find anything, so if anyone has any ideas on where to look, comment!

The stalk I dont see being an issue, the LDM for dynamic would basically operate based on the movement of the stalk and not whats written on it, it might be confusing looking down and seeing the different options (car distance VS set/accel etc) but theres no real way of the LDM seeing a difference in stalks, since internally they are the same.

So it really comes down to what you think is worth it. Me personally, if it was as simple as coding, i would have just did that, but the price i was quoted is not really much, and my sensor is not defective so I will probably just have BMW align it and make sure not to jar it loose.
      06-05-2017, 10:40 AM   #12
BIMMER_Tech 631
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGeeks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER_Tech 631 View Post
Quote:

- One thing, the previous owner of my car had "rode up" on a median in a shopping center which jarred the sensor loose (without breaking anything) which caused the system to need an alignment. So for anyone interested, pretty much any movement of that sensor (bad enough pot hole at the right angle, hitting bottom of bumper on curb, etc) will cause it to go out of "spec". Using any BMW scanner you will then see a specific code "Active Cruise Control Malfunction" HOWEVER, if the sensor or any other component is damaged or defective (Sensor itself, LDM, etc) there will be a different, more specific code.

As far as pricing on the alignment goes, out here in NY, had a couple dealers quote me between $250-$350 for active cruise control alignment, basically explaining to me its about an hour and a half to 2 hours labor.

Though you are totally correct in regards to coding out the ACC option ($541) and adding Dynamic cruise control ($544), or even regular for that matter, its a no go. The LDM module can not be coded, they appear to be the same part # on RealOEM (for dynamic and adaptive) however im not sure how to code that specific module to not look for ACC. When i changed the VO, i was still getting a "Cruise Control Malfunction" error. I looked through CAS, FRM, KOMBI and any other module i could think would talk to the LDM to dictate the presence of ACC vs DCC but couldn't find anything, so if anyone has any ideas on where to look, comment!

The stalk I dont see being an issue, the LDM for dynamic would basically operate based on the movement of the stalk and not whats written on it, it might be confusing looking down and seeing the different options (car distance VS set/accel etc) but theres no real way of the LDM seeing a difference in stalks, since internally they are the same.

So it really comes down to what you think is worth it. Me personally, if it was as simple as coding, i would have just did that, but the price i was quoted is not really much, and my sensor is not defective so I will probably just have BMW align it and make sure not to jar it loose.
After changing the VO, recode CAS, KOMBI & DSC module in expert mode.
Did this, worked, now active steering is acting weird, when car is in cruise control, does almost like a shudder/shake when movement is applied to the wheel. Any ideas why?
      06-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #13
BIMMER_Tech 631
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Did this, worked, now active steering is acting weird, when car is in cruise control, does almost like a shudder/shake when movement is applied to the wheel. Any ideas why?
Not sure, I've never removed ACC. Do you have any codes?
Had steering angle sensor code, did calibration, it went away after re calibrating it. Cruise control works but like I said, on subtle movements of the steering wheel while in cruise control, the wheel shudders and shakes, only when in cruise control, as if active steering is trying to make a correction for something, weird.
      06-05-2017, 01:05 PM   #14
BIMMER_Tech 631
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not sure, I've never removed ACC. Do you have any codes?
Had steering angle sensor code, did calibration, it went away after re calibrating it. Cruise control works but like I said, on subtle movements of the steering wheel while in cruise control, the wheel shudders and shakes, only when in cruise control, as if active steering is trying to make a correction for something, weird.
I'd like to remote in sometime and see everything.
Sure, when do you want to?
      06-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #15
BIMMER_Tech 631
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm good around 4pm eastern.
I'll be home from work in an hour or so, that work for you? Team viewer?
      06-05-2017, 05:59 PM   #16
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Wait, how do you have adaptive cruise? I was under the impression that manual transmissions make this a non-option?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 07:15 PM   #17
BIMMER_Tech 631
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore View Post
Wait, how do you have adaptive cruise? I was under the impression that manual transmissions make this a non-option?
It's not manual
      06-06-2017, 11:30 PM   #18
BIMMER_Tech 631
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm good around 4pm eastern.
I'll be home from work in an hour or so, that work for you? Team viewer?
Sorry, yesterday got hectic quickly. We can give it a shot today.
I'll be free Thursday all day.
      08-12-2017, 07:42 AM   #19
IvarV
Rep
Drives: E90 330i E46 330d

Hi, I'm trying to do the same thing - go from ACC to Dynamic, but I'm having trouble coding the necessary modules with the new FA - the FA_Write job just doesn't appear on the job list in NCS expert. Am I doing something wrong or is my software faulty?
I was able to do the FA_Write on CAS, but not DSC and KOMBI.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 08:45 AM   #20
IvarV
Rep

Quote:
You don't FA_write to DSC & Kombi. CAS & Frm are the only to control units that store VO.

After you write VO, run Sg_Codieren on DSC & Kombi in expert mode.
Tried that, didn't work. Should I write VO on FRM as well? I only wrote it on CAS.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #21
IvarV
Rep

When I pulled the Cruise Control lever, it still gave me the ACC error in the iDrive system.
Should I hit SG_Codieren on CAS as well? I thought FA_Write was enough on CAS.
After I tried this, I replugged the ACC radar, is it important to have it unplugged or is it not important?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 01:20 AM   #22
IvarV
Rep

Thank you for being so patient with me

Unplugged the radar, then:
1. Change the FA on CAS, added $544 and removed $541
2. FA_Write on CAS
3. SG_Codieren on KOMBI and DSC

Tried to activate cruise control, didn't work, so I put everything back to how it was, meaning I plugged the faulty radar back in, removed 544 and added 541 to CAS FA, performed FA_Write on CAS and SG_Codieren on KOMBI and DSC.
Meaning I'm back to where I started which is an unusable ACC.
Appreciate 0