E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > '11 335d w/ Profi Exhaust and

07-12-2017, 06:11 PM   #23
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Getting it installed as I write this post. My mechanic wasn't overly impressed with the fit and finish of the exhaust and downpipe. Then again who gives a crap since it is under the car and I live on the west coast.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 06:35 PM   #24
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Monaco blue, 335D

Awe that's awesome. The clamps they send are actually really good. There SS band/bolt clamps. I did use Lava header pipe wrap on my down pipe before I installed it, just to keep heat down around the engine. Today was the first day on FB, I ever herd of someone having an issue
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 06:45 PM   #25
Lexustbs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson335d
I ordered my profi and its finay shipped but i havnt got it yet. I spoke to Ivo and he assured me he fixed the egt bung issue and also he was kind enough to let me pay a little extra for v-band fittings instead of slip...just for ease of assembly or disassembly.
I bet your bung will be wrong......
      07-12-2017, 10:55 PM   #26
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexustbs
Quote:
I ordered my profi and its finay shipped but i havnt got it yet. I spoke to Ivo and he assured me he fixed the egt bung issue and also he was kind enough to let me pay a little extra for v-band fittings instead of slip...just for ease of assembly or disassembly.
I bet your bung will be wrong......
How come? He told me that he had fixed the bung issue as well. Will my mechanic likely be able to recognize a problem?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 03:07 AM   #27
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep
Drives: bmw

Well to bad to hear fit and finish wasnt to good with your exhaust that's dissapointing. I havnt heard anything negative until tonight but i know its no ubobtanium. And he sent me pics of the egt bung he used so i am pretty sure i wont have any issues. Hey cheif be sure to update us on how it all came out i wont be able to install mine for awhile until i get tue engine ecu tuned

Any pics btw?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 08:54 AM   #28
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well to bad to hear fit and finish wasnt to good with your exhaust that's dissapointing. I havnt heard anything negative until tonight but i know its no ubobtanium. And he sent me pics of the egt bung he used so i am pretty sure i wont have any issues. Hey cheif be sure to update us on how it all came out i wont be able to install mine for awhile until i get tue engine ecu tuned

Any pics btw?
I will try to get some today. My mechanic decided to fashion a bracket to secure the down pipe and said that some of the hangers we're not in the right position. This surprised me. That said, there was nothing that presented a huge problem...just some jiggering and a bit of welding. I also think that comparing the fit to the OEM stock with the Profi setup is bound to disappoint.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #29
Lexustbs
Private
United_States
Rep

Was your EGT bung correct?
      07-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #30
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Yeah my muffler hangers were a bit off, seemed like more or less they were rotated too far around the can so the point a little diagonally at the mount. Definitely there are several items which point to why it is several hundred less than the next cheapest system.

My downpipe is also kind of long before the first bend, in order to get the under car pipe up as high as possible the downpipe has to be rotated pretty far, so its in this situation where I am trying to get it as far rotated as possible but still not hit the firewall. If the pipe was 1" shorter to the first bend it would fit 1000% better. Maybe Ill get it cut and welded...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #31
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexustbs View Post
Yes...just got back from the mechanic. The bung is correct. Comforting since the Profi guys went out of their way to say that they were aware of the bung issue.

Checked out the exhaust...again, not blown away by the fit and finish, but the price was right.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 12:35 PM   #32
Lexustbs
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman
Quote:
Yes...just got back from the mechanic. The bung is correct. Comforting since the Profi guys went out of their way to say that they were aware of the bung issue.

Checked out the exhaust...again, not blown away by the fit and finish, but the price was right.
well good. I had the same emails with that reassurance, but the ball got dropped.
      07-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #33
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
well good. I had the same emails with that reassurance, but the ball got dropped.
Interesting...lemme ask a question...would it be readily apparent to the mechanic if it were not the right bung? This guys works on diesels all time and a I gave him a heads up on the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 12:44 PM   #34
Lexustbs
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman
Quote:
Interesting...lemme ask a question...would it be readily apparent to the mechanic if it were not the right bung? This guys works on diesels all time and a I gave him a heads up on the issue.
the egt sensor would never bottom out or tighten up. I think the OP shows what it would look like. I'd say your installer would of noticed. He could of fixed it for you and not said a word.
      07-13-2017, 08:52 PM   #35
bfunk04
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d

I ordered my profi exhaust and received it at the end of may. The fit on mine was perfect. Hangers were all in the right place as well as the bungs for the sensors.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 04:17 AM   #36
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep

I got mine today but to busy to unpack it. Ine thing i did 2botice right off the bat was i peaked into a hole in the box and see the downpipe. I see the egt bung and its got a weird hole drilled in the pipe and then the bung welded in top but pretty far off center. Cant imgagine why the hole in the pipe was made so big but also there is some steel that should be ground off inside where the hole was drilled ill take sime pics. It may or bot make any difference but its that attention to details. Ill unpack the box tomorrow because i wanna video it and take pics.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 08:41 AM   #37
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

So they got my exhaust and 2.8 tune installed. The car flys. Traction control light came on when I punched it at 45 mph on dry pavement. However when I come to a stop I am always smelling exhaust fumes in the cabin. In fairness I assume this is as much an installation issue as a exhaust manufacturing issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 10:25 AM   #38
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Chief, I only smell exhaust at a stop with the windows down and the wind in the right direction. If you get a chance at some point you might want to double check the tightness of all the slip fitting clamps, they definitely loosened up on mine after the first couple drives I guess due to settling in.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2017, 07:47 PM   #39
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper
Chief, I only smell exhaust at a stop with the windows down and the wind in the right direction. If you get a chance at some point you might want to double check the tightness of all the slip fitting clamps, they definitely loosened up on mine after the first couple drives I guess due to settling in.
Turns out in my first day of spirited driving I managed to bottom out on the exhaust mildly crunching/scraping about two feet of it. Hence the exhaust leak. As others have pointed out, the Profi downpipe is a little too long. My mechanic also suggested cutting down the Bulgarian downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 08:31 PM   #40
Lexustbs
Private
United_States
Rep

by the time you try to re rig this exhaust I think it's better to spend the extra $600 for a better fit.
      07-14-2017, 11:40 PM   #41
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
by the time you try to re rig this exhaust I think it's better to spend the extra $600 for a better fit.
Depends on your thoughts on "worth it". The exhaust fits ok if rotated enough but it would be easy to not see that's what you need to do. The same would apply to any other exhaust using slip fittings. The biggest issue was the egt bung which it sounds like they might have actually straightened out now
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 01:47 AM   #42
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

uh oh...wife was complaining about Diesel smell... didn't tell her what I did to the car...not sure I ever will...may need to get a cat for the smell...any recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 02:19 AM   #43
Hockey13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper
Quote:
Depends on your thoughts on "worth it". The exhaust fits ok if rotated enough but it would be easy to not see that's what you need to do. The same would apply to any other exhaust using slip fittings. The biggest issue was the egt bung which it sounds like they might have actually straightened out now
if you do it yourself or someone willing to pay attention to details it's fine. iirc I got it together then realized it wasn't seated properly then realized to rotate it etc...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 08:55 AM   #44
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep

Well i just opened the box which was poorly packed. It had a large hole in it where i could stick my hand in there. It should be double boxed at the least. So i opened it up and basically discovered one of the mufflers has a large flatspot in it like someone took a big hammer and whacked it good. Could be DHL damaged it but still it was dissappinting. The box was packed worse than the crap i get from china!

So i looked at all the welds and its just not real good. Sure it will work i guess but its really poor. Some welds are fine but just about every vband weld looks very bad and to make it worse all the vbands are welded at an angle on straight pipe it is very weird. The flex pipe isnt stainless steel i have no idea why not and the sensor bugs arent stainless steel either. Odd considering srainless versions exist but just choose not to use them i guess. The vband to the turbo is welded at a cockeyed angle like if the flange is on straight the down pipe will go off at an angle to the engine instead of just going straight back and then down. If the flange is sqaured up, the pipe as it goes under the car, starts to angle back up towards the car. I would Have to pull down hard on the down pipe and put a block of wood or something under it to make it level but thats going to add unesessary torque on the flex joint. I am talking maybe 3/4 inch of bending to make it level. Lets just say i could not flex it like that by hand without leverage. These flex to absorb vibrations not flex to be an articulated joint. Again all the vbands are not welded on straight the are all crooked i can just imagine the sealing nightmare that will arise as they are meant to be installed to seal and seat flush.

Maybe it's welded in such a way that ot only goes on one way but if thats true then there is absolutely no room for adjustments as you cannot swivel the joints because the flanges are not true.

I needed this to be right from the first time for me because not only can i not afford any extra down time but also i dont Have the ability to take it on and off.

Some of the welds look just fine to me both inside and out but you can clearly see the insides of the tubes for example arent blownout and have filings inside and the welds on the vband flanges look terrible. Then again other welded sections look good both inside and out.

Ill give ivo the oppertunity to fix the ussues, which basically amounts to starting over completely from scratch in my mind, or he can issue me a refund and ill mail it back. Maybe it was DHL who messed it all up at least i know part if it was damaged probably during shipping although i could find no evidence of an impact on the box.

Really disappointed and trust me i am picky but not THAT picky. I could have spent a couple hundred more and probably got a real nice product but now my money is tied up in this product for who knows how long

Last edited by Asonchadwick; 07-15-2017 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 0