E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > ~DIY: $130 Rear View Camera with OEM integration (vendors will hate me)~

04-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #947
Bmw330
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Hi All!

I was hoping I could get some help.

# Parts I ordered

Autofocustech PnP emulator
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CIC-Retrofi...72.m2749.l2649

Autofocustech RVC
https://www.ebay.com/itm/E82-E88-E84...72.m2749.l2649

# Installation

I connected the PnP harness to the back of the CIC and transferred the fiber optic cables. The video yellow RCA cable came with a red wire which I attached to a 12V source. The black wire from the video camera is grounded to the chassis. The redwire with the black wire is unused.

# Coding
I added $3AG to CAS/FRM. I coded CIC.C1A to defaults and PDC first then I added the following to the CIC module:
Code:
MACRO_PDC
aktiv
MACRO_REARVIEW
aktiv
RVC_CIC
wert_23
MACRO_L6_PARKMENU
aktiv
PDC_DIRECTION
vertikal
# Problem
When I put it in reverse, I hear the beeps but do not see the screen change to the PDC screen. When I turn disable MACRO_L6_PARKMENU I get the PDC menu but without the menu on the side and double PDC vertical display cars. I checked that the video camera was getting 12 volts with a voltmeter.

I emailed autofocustech and they believe the emulator is the correct one even though it is missing the white wire. Any ideas?

Did you get this sorted? I bought the same harness/emulator a few months ago but not yet fitted it, now worried I’m going to run into issues!

What’s the missing white wire?, I assumed it was just plug in and go? Is that not the case?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 05:34 PM   #948
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw330 View Post
Did you get this sorted? I bought the same harness/emulator a few months ago but not yet fitted it, now worried I’m going to run into issues!

What’s the missing white wire?, I assumed it was just plug in and go? Is that not the case?

I have not dealt with this yet. Autofocustech seems to be adamant it is the correct emulator.

I ordered a new quadlock extension and an autofocus rvc only emulator to solder in. I'm waiting for the emulator to arrive and I can attempt this again.

There is two E90s in the family (brother's e90 diesel with combox and my M3 with TCU/ULF) so ordering a secondary emulator if the first one is still right isn't that bad of an idea.

Hopefully the emulator arrives this week and I can work on it this weekend. If not, will have to wait till the following week.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 01:18 AM   #949
Bmw330
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I’m assuming we’re not the only ones to have bought that harness/emulator, appears a few are having issues with it also. I suppose I need to get mine fitted and see if I get the same issues

Could you please expand a little more on the missing white wire?. Is this to power the camera? I just presumed I could plug it all together and code and it would work!, I didn’t realise there were other things to do, where should the white wire come from?

Cheers

Last edited by Bmw330; 04-03-2019 at 06:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 09:52 AM   #950
christoepurrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I also had issues with my emulator from autofocustech. Everything was installed correctly as directed in this thread, but the white wire was not giving any power to the camera.

As you guys mentioned above, autofocustech kept denying any issues with their emulator stating that they've sold x amount of emulators without any issues. Needless to say, they weren't much help and did not want to send a replacement or refund.

I ended up using a fuse tap to power the camera and all works well.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 02:17 PM   #951
Bmw330
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So the white wire should power the camera at 12v when put into reverse but doesn’t give any voltage at all?

I don’t appear to have a white cable coming from the emulator?, I only have green, yellow, blue, brown, red and black. All the wires appear to be soldiered into the adaptor harness ....

Last edited by Bmw330; 04-03-2019 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 04:52 PM   #952
christoepurrr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So the white wire should power the camera at 12v when put into reverse but doesn’t give any voltage at all?

I don’t appear to have a white cable coming from the emulator?, I only have green, yellow, blue, brown, red and black. All the wires appear to be soldiered into the adaptor harness ....
I should've added, the emulator I used was the splice in version, not the version built in the quad lock
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 06:51 AM   #953
Bmw330
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ah right!, I’ll give mine a go at the weekend

Last edited by Bmw330; 04-04-2019 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 10:50 AM   #954
Bmw330
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have not dealt with this yet. Autofocustech seems to be adamant it is the correct emulator.

I ordered a new quadlock extension and an autofocus rvc only emulator to solder in. I'm waiting for the emulator to arrive and I can attempt this again.

There is two E90s in the family (brother's e90 diesel with combox and my M3 with TCU/ULF) so ordering a secondary emulator if the first one is still right isn't that bad of an idea.

Hopefully the emulator arrives this week and I can work on it this weekend. If not, will have to wait till the following week.

Do you think yours is faulty? If you bought it from autofocustech they offer a free repair service for 12 months after purchase, check out their advert.

Quoted from their eBay page :
‘We will offer free repairing service within 12 months from the date you purchased, excluded shipping charges’
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 11:55 AM   #955
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Do you think yours is faulty? If you bought it from autofocustech they offer a free repair service for 12 months after purchase, check out their advert.

Quoted from their eBay page :
‘We will offer free repairing service within 12 months from the date you purchased, excluded shipping charges’

The Quadlock PnP harness says CIC Navigation, VIM, and RVC emulator. It has
total of 6 wires into the emulator.
1. Red power
2. Black ground
3. blue
4. yellow
5. green
6. brown

the CAN H and CAN L from the male connector goes to the emulator directly in 2 pins. 2 different pins which I assume is CAN H, CAN L come out of the emulator and go to the female connector pins for CANH, CANL. I am assuming that it somehow seperated the CAN H, CANL pins to blue/yellow to the unit, and green/brown to the CIC harness. There is no white wire to power the yellow RCA cable.

The emulator I just purchased from Autofocustech that you need to splice has 5 wires coming out of the emulator.

1. Red
2. Black
3. white
4. blue
5. orange

Because of these differences and that it states it is a CIC navigation, VIM, RVC emulator, I think I purchased the wrong one. Even powering the RVC directly from the battery, I was unable to get it to turn on on the screen with the PNP.

I have not tested the splicing emulator with a new quadlock extension connector yet.

Last edited by derbo; 04-04-2019 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #956
danaite
France
Rep
Drives: e90 318d LCI

Quote:

# Problem
When I put it in reverse, I hear the beeps but do not see the screen change to the PDC screen. When I turn disable MACRO_L6_PARKMENU I get the PDC menu but without the menu on the side and double PDC vertical display cars. I checked that the video camera was getting 12 volts with a voltmeter.
hi derbo, have you tried to add
Code:
MACRO_PDC_TOPVIEW
aktiv
TVC_WIDTH_0C
wert_02
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 03:22 PM   #957
Bmw330
Second Lieutenant
Rep

As you say there is no white wire to power the camera so assume this now needs to tap into the 12v reverse light somewhere.?

I also can’t seem to figure out where the bare RCA cable goes, I realise it’s pins 18 and 28, (U.K. car) but when the pnp harness is fitted, it already has wires going into those pins, so I can’t add these

Last edited by Bmw330; 04-04-2019 at 04:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 05:11 PM   #958
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaite View Post
hi derbo, have you tried to add
Code:
MACRO_PDC_TOPVIEW
aktiv
TVC_WIDTH_0C
wert_02
Yup, no dice.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 05:13 PM   #959
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
As you say there is no white wire to power the camera so assume this now needs to tap into the 12v reverse light somewhere.?

I also can’t seem to figure out where the bare RCA cable goes, I realise it’s pins 18 and 28, (U.K. car) but when the pnp harness is fitted, it already has wires going into those pins, so I can’t add these

Yes. the RCA yellow cable from the camera has a power source at the male yellow RCA cable if you are using the white wire, or there is another power wire with the ground closer to the camera side you can use a 12V switched source.

You should plug in camera pins into the car CIC male harness from what I can tell.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:08 PM   #960
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Here are the pics of the emulator with different wires.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 11:08 PM   #961
Bmw330
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have the top picture with no white wire so looks like the power source has to be the reverse light in that application. I didn’t really want to tap into the reverse light!

Oh right, so the rca cable goes into the car harness not the adaptor/emulator harness?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 05:08 AM   #962
danaite
France
Rep
Drives: e90 318d LCI

Quote:
I have the top picture with no white wire so looks like the power source has to be the reverse light in that application. I didn’t really want to tap into the reverse light! ?
if your emulator doesn't provide any power you must pick a source that is powered only on Reverse mode. so the reverse light is the easiest way to do this. aussuming it's providing enough current when it's lighted up
Quote:
Oh right, so the rca cable goes into the car harness not the adaptor/emulator harness?
yes and no. your rca female adaptor goes directly on the quadlock at the back of your CIC unit. with or without quadlock harness extension. as you see 1st img RCA is plugged on MALE original harness and 2nd img RCA is pugged on MALE after market harness

https://www.e90post.com/forums/attac...1&d=1522754273 (img oversized)

Quote:
# Problem
When I put it in reverse, I hear the beeps but do not see the screen change to the PDC screen. When I turn disable MACRO_L6_PARKMENU I get the PDC menu but without the menu on the side and double PDC vertical display cars.
can you post some pics of these two screens you get.
and can you send me your FSW_PSW.TRC from CIC just to compare with mine
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 01:18 PM   #963
Bmw330
Second Lieutenant
Rep

On my pnp harness all the pins are taken up with wires so I’d have to soldier into the two relevant wires.

Do you know what current the camera needs to activate, autofocus state 500mA on their advert. Anyone measured what the reverse light gives?

I’m staring to think I should just buy the emulator as everyone else ....

They also sent me the coding which differs from some earlier in the posts

Computer Configuration: Configure 3AG coding computer module (FA = VO =
configuration)
Configure 3AG code CIC and PDC , and modify following items:
MACRO_L6_PARKMENU
aktiv
MACRO_PDC
aktiv
MACRO_PDC_TOPVIEW
aktiv
TVC_WIDTH_0C
wert_02

Last edited by Bmw330; 04-05-2019 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 09:00 PM   #964
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaite View Post
if your emulator doesn't provide any power you must pick a source that is powered only on Reverse mode. so the reverse light is the easiest way to do this. aussuming it's providing enough current when it's lighted up

yes and no. your rca female adaptor goes directly on the quadlock at the back of your CIC unit. with or without quadlock harness extension. as you see 1st img RCA is plugged on MALE original harness and 2nd img RCA is pugged on MALE after market harness
[IMGhttp://www.e90post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1052004&stc=1&d=140423 1993[/IMG]
https://www.e90post.com/forums/attac...1&d=1522754273 (img oversized)

can you post some pics of these two screens you get.
and can you send me your FSW_PSW.TRC from CIC just to compare with mine
So here is an update on my adventure with this on my brother's E90D.

It was not my coding after all. The second emulator I bought to splice had 5 wires (CAN H, CANL, Power, Ground, Camera Power wire) and when I installed this, it worked.

I followed the OP post coding to the CIC. I coded the VO but the defaults to the CIC were not 100% correct to what was needed from the OP post anyways.
Code:
MACRO_PDC
aktiv
MACRO_REARVIEW
aktiv
RVC_CIC
wert_23
MACRO_L6_PARKMENU
aktiv
PDC_DIRECTION
vertikal

## Aftermath
Since I have this PnP CIC/VIM/RVC Emulator harness that I have no idea if it is faulty or if it actually works with the RVC, I will contact the seller to see what they can do. In the end, this extra harness cost me an extra $80 for no reason.

I still have to do this install on my E90M so I'll test it again when the time comes around.

## Notes
The rear trunk momentary switch glue is garbage. While I was fitting it into the trunk hole, the latch fell off the handle due to poor glueing. I had to use abs cement glue to clean it up.

As many mentioned, tucking an extension quad lock is a pain in the butt. I managed to unbuckle the passenger side wires at the bottom right and that provided extra room for the quadlock.

The emulator sat on top of the cic unit behind the HVAC controls.

Minimizing the trunk rubber insulator loom as small and straight as possible allowed the micro connector to go through with a zip tie guide. I managed to do this in 10 minutes.

Last edited by derbo; 04-07-2019 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy685.00
      04-07-2019, 10:51 AM   #965
Bmw330
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I’ve just fitted all mine, but need to get a relay for the reverse light camera power activation and code, was hoping to get it done today to see if the pnp harness does actually work, (I contacted the seller earlier in the week and he confirmed it does work for a RVC). I’ll have to leave it till later in the week now for the relay.

Glad yours is up and running, wish I’d gone the 5 wire emulator route now as I may also have a £70 paperweight!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 11:54 AM   #966
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
I’ve just fitted all mine, but need to get a relay for the reverse light camera power activation and code, was hoping to get it done today to see if the pnp harness does actually work, (I contacted the seller earlier in the week and he confirmed it does work for a RVC). I’ll have to leave it till later in the week now for the relay.

Glad yours is up and running, wish I’d gone the 5 wire emulator route now as I may also have a £70 paperweight!
Let me know if you get it up and running. I still have the M3 to wire up so if it does indeed work, I'll try it on my M3 too.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 01:28 AM   #967
Bmw330
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yep will do.

Last edited by Bmw330; 04-09-2019 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
derbo3610.00
      04-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #968
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Yep will do.
Were you able to get it working?