E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > blueh88 Build Thread!

09-14-2019, 06:36 AM   #133
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
maybe be some silicone sealant ,,dont know what the back of lights
look like but the sealant is easily moulded to any shape really while its soft
I ended up doing the silicone jobby and be absolutely fine since. No water/condensation.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 01:46 AM   #134
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

champion,,,the old silicone has 101 uses ha ha
Appreciate 1
blueh8869.00
      02-25-2020, 12:57 PM   #135
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Not really been any drama over the winter. Car running well except for a small exhaust leak from the manifold. Thankfully it was just the EGR blanking plate. Removed, cleaned up and with a new gasket, all is well.

Plans for the near future:
Subframe bushes upgrade
Tie rods
New tyres needed
Replace the Xtrons head unit. It's lasted 2 years and now WiFi, Bluetooth and radio have just died. (not quite sure what to replace with?)

Other than, all good and still loving the performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 04:29 PM   #136
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueh88 View Post
Not really been any drama over the winter. Car running well except for a small exhaust leak from the manifold. Thankfully it was just the EGR blanking plate. Removed, cleaned up and with a new gasket, all is well.

Subframe bushes upgrade
Tie rods
New tyres needed
Replace the Xtrons head unit. It's lasted 2 years and now WiFi, Bluetooth and radio have just died. (not quite sure what to replace with?)

You selling the xtrons? There's a few mods I wanted to try which involves opening it up but mines pretty much brand new and still got warranty so I don't really want to touch it haha.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 03:18 AM   #137
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
Quote:

Subframe bushes upgrade
Tie rods
New tyres needed

You selling the xtrons? There's a few mods I wanted to try which involves opening it up but mines pretty much brand new and still got warranty so I don't really want to touch it haha.
Once I get round to getting a new one, you can just have it! I cannot guarantee when that is though lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 05:27 AM   #138
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Once I get round to getting a new one, you can just have it! I cannot guarantee when that is though lol.
Sweet!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 05:15 AM   #139
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

So, this update consists of two new items: tyres and brakes!

Rear tyres were running low so thought I'd take the opportunity to change for some track day tyres. Planning on a track day at some point in the next few months so thought it was good timing. Went for the Federal 595 RS Pros as a budget track tyre, whilst still being half decent on the road. Too early to tell what they're like yet. Pic attached.

From a brakes point of view, I was experiencing extremely poor performance at high speed, with crazy judder once they got a bit hot. So decided I want to upgrade the front calipers. I didn't want to go all out BBK, so began sourcing some FXX 4 pot calipers. More clamping force than the current single piston and slightly larger braking surface area. Got lucky and found some on the F30Post forum and found some recently refurbished ones that came off a 435d. Pic attached. Also got the OEM discs and pads with them with plenty of life left. I've also had some stainless steel hoses lying around for ages but never got round to fit. Thankfully these fit into these calipers and now would be a perfect opportunity to fit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 09:30 AM   #140
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

what them tyres like in wet conditions though ?,,,,maybe be careful till you know them
Appreciate 1
blueh8869.00
      07-01-2020, 12:03 PM   #141
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
what them tyres like in wet conditions though ?,,,,maybe be careful till you know them
No idea yet lol. Yeah defo will take it easy if it's raining. Today has been dry and I went out for a drive...my god the grip is immense!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 04:25 PM   #142
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Nice upgrades. The brakes will make a big difference to help reduce fade.

Tyre wise never used them but dry grip will be (as you’ve found) superb. In the wet though could be interesting. I had my 18’s on with r888r’s and took her out for a nice drive with the family. Ended up going for a bite to eat and all good until we got outside to find it was hammering it down. The drive home on the motorway was seriously crazy as the car was literally aquaplaning the whole journey. Was sat at 50-60 and constantly correcting to stay straight. Kind of fun too and the family didn’t even realise how on it I was.
      07-03-2020, 12:10 AM   #143
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No idea yet lol. Yeah defo will take it easy if it's raining. Today has been dry and I went out for a drive...my god the grip is immense!
yeh,,baldy tyres are better wen it's dry/warm..but them days,,after a dry spell then get a drop of rain,,roads covered in deisel fumes and petrol then a little rain ,not enough to wash it all away etc,,slippery as fuck
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 12:12 AM   #144
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
Nice upgrades. The brakes will make a big difference to help reduce fade.

Tyre wise never used them but dry grip will be (as you’ve found) superb. In the wet though could be interesting. I had my 18’s on with r888r’s and took her out for a nice drive with the family. Ended up going for a bite to eat and all good until we got outside to find it was hammering it down. The drive home on the motorway was seriously crazy as the car was literally aquaplaning the whole journey. Was sat at 50-60 and constantly correcting to stay straight. Kind of fun too and the family didn’t even realise how on it I was.
yeh,,ive had that,,was on complete bald tyres,,driving a car to scrapyard many moons ago,,police would give you a warning in them days for baldy tyres
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 04:40 AM   #145
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Calipers fitted!

Unfortunately, as I undid the flexi hose from the hard pipe on passenger side, it sheared. Seems to be a common issue due to age/corrosion, etc.

Getting a new brake line made up and once done, can flush and bleed system and test out!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 01:46 PM   #146
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Calipers fitted!

Unfortunately, as I undid the flexi hose from the hard pipe on passenger side, it sheared. Seems to be a common issue due to age/corrosion, etc.

Getting a new brake line made up and once done, can flush and bleed system and test out!
They are absolute shite, I think I got one hard-line off when removing the rear subframe and all the rest twisted. The rear would be annoying if you wasn't replacing the subframe because it goes over the Diff.

The new brakes are going to be so good I reckon, I don't like mine, I remember back on for Ford focus they where so snappy.

Oh and if you're bleeding brakes with INPA and get DSC errors afterwards there's a service function in ISTA to adjust the DSC.. I really can't remember what's it's called but it activates the ABS pump just like the bleed routine and all errors went.

Oh and those alloys are what are they?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 03:28 PM   #147
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

They are absolute shite, I think I got one hard-line off when removing the rear subframe and all the rest twisted. The rear would be annoying if you wasn't replacing the subframe because it goes over the Diff.

The new brakes are going to be so good I reckon, I don't like mine, I remember back on for Ford focus they where so snappy.

Oh and if you're bleeding brakes with INPA and get DSC errors afterwards there's a service function in ISTA to adjust the DSC.. I really can't remember what's it's called but it activates the ABS pump just like the bleed routine and all errors went.

Oh and those alloys are what are they?
Yeah I really cba doing the rears after the doing the fronts. Maybe next year and ready myself with new hard lines lol.

I've just finished installing new hard line and bled them manually today, old school bottle and tube method, but pedal still feels a bit soft, even though there was no air bubbles coming out. So going to try with the software tomorrow. I also don't think I was pushing the pedal right down to the floor during bleeding come to think of it.....

Cool, cheers I will keep that in mind with regards to the errors.

Ah cheers man, they're Axes CS lites. They're a bit dinged up now but still look alright when clean!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 03:38 PM   #148
Silnismo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Clean build!

That's weird I have those same calipers on my e90 and no coding needed on my end.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 04:50 PM   #149
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silnismo View Post
Clean build!

That's weird I have those same calipers on my e90 and no coding needed on my end.
Cheers man!

Na no coding needed for the actual caliper change, it's just for the flushing of the brake fluid, to make sure the ABS/DSC unit gets flushed/bled properly too.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 04:11 AM   #150
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Just another little update - i had an issue with my Xtrons headunit a while ago where the Bluetooth and WiFi stopped working. I recently ordered a replaced a replacement board for the unit (much cheaper than buying the whole unit again!) and all is now working again thankfully.

Sorry MrSweet, I did say you could have the unit when I got round to replacing it but I've just ended up fixing it instead!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 01:21 PM   #151
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Just another little update - i had an issue with my Xtrons headunit a while ago where the Bluetooth and WiFi stopped working. I recently ordered a replaced a replacement board for the unit (much cheaper than buying the whole unit again!) and all is now working again thankfully.

Sorry MrSweet, I did say you could have the unit when I got round to replacing it but I've just ended up fixing it instead!
Happy for you mate, I was only going to try some crazy things, there was a video posted not long ago about putting a PX6 board in our Px5 units so it was just for some fun really lol.

Where did you end up buying a new board for it?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 05:08 PM   #152
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Happy for you mate, I was only going to try some crazy things, there was a video posted not long ago about putting a PX6 board in our Px5 units so it was just for some fun really lol.

Where did you end up buying a new board for it?
Lol I see, fair enough.

I just emailed Xtrons support if they would sell me one instead of buying a complete new unit and they said yes. Took a while to come though! Around 4 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 05:20 PM   #153
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Lol I see, fair enough.

I just emailed Xtrons support if they would sell me one instead of buying a complete new unit and they said yes. Took a while to come though! Around 4 weeks.
Must be coronavirus with that delay maybe? I've contacted them twice and there's a woman who responds in around a day or two usually.

If you don't mind me asking, what did they charge for a new board? Maybe you can venture into some mods now with your old board lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 02:21 AM   #154
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Must be coronavirus with that delay maybe? I've contacted them twice and there's a woman who responds in around a day or two usually.

If you don't mind me asking, what did they charge for a new board? Maybe you can venture into some mods now with your old board lol.
Yeah Abby right? Lol.

£80. Naa I really can't be bothered going that far lol.
Appreciate 0