E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Talk me about security / CCTV

03-20-2016, 09:27 AM   #1
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Talk me about security / CCTV

Last week our car was dinged by someone reversing onto and into our drive to turn their huge van.

So security is taking priority.

Must haves:

1. Wireless - although router is downstairs
2. Night vision
3. HDD or SD card storage as dislike the idea of cloud storage
4. High quality image
5. Connect and check via iPhone compatible
6. Consist of at least one camera and cost less than £300 in total

Thought about the Netgear Arlo but not great reviews on the camera angle. I need something I can adjust and point down and set an angel be it indoor or outdoor mounted.

This one looks good so far: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/smart-t...pid=display~RR

Any input appreciated.

BG
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 07:41 AM   #2
Precision Engineered
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M sport

Whatever you go for I'd highly recommend IP cameras over an analog system. Little trickier to set up if you aren't IT literate but the difference is day and night. Mine are 3MP just to give you an idea of what to go for.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 08:14 AM   #3
Rocko123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Hmm interested in this thread too, i have a system set up at home butt he quality is picture quality is poor.. Ive been looking at some systems in person and every person I talk to claims their system is the best.. They all have great picture quality but they are different.. NVR, AHD, SDI all 3 mp cams and all have some kind of remote viewing. I had someone else tell me to wait cause supposedly something better was going to come out that was going to be better price/quality wise..

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 11:40 AM   #4
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I'm waiting for the internet guys to install my line before i make the decision on cloud storage or hard drive. Cloud is attractive as there wont be much hardware but certainly dont want it interrupting my online gaming or 4k streaming
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 01:25 PM   #5
JM85
Captain
Rep
Drives: EBII F30 + AW E90

Maplins do some good systems, I've hear the wireless cameras can be problematic so I went wired

I've upgraded the cameras a couple of times to get a better pic quality, I think even the cheap systems are IR (night vision) & come with a app to view via iPhone
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 04:43 AM   #6
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Wireless is pointless. You need to get power to them anyway...

Make sure you by HD cameras, and IP is the only sensible way to go.

These guys do reasonable stuff:

https://www.hdcctv.co.uk/

Or you can look on ebay/amazon etc for the Hikvision cameras.

More info than you can ever need available here:

http://www.cctvforum.com/
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 02:03 AM   #7
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport Auto

We've had CCTV at our family home for many years now and my uncle also has a crazy expensive system installed after some trouble he experienced.

Best advice I can give you is:

- Install a monitor/live feed in the room you sit in the most and don't turn that off. We've lost track of the number of bizarre things we noticed otherwise being oblivious just sat in the living room watching TV

- Install infra-red lighting around your driveway if it's quite big. I can't begin to state how important this is. Your camera's built in night vision and IR will let you down when you need it most

- Buy something that is simple for YOU to use and you understand thoroughly

- Go for a system which you can access when you're not at home, whether by laptop over the internet or an app on your phone. Most incidents occur when you aren't around to go through the HDD and hunt the actual incident down but a friendly neighbour may text you to let you know something has happened

- ALWAYS back up the footage somewhere. Considering investing in your own NAS drive

- Don't rely on traditional HDD's, get a solid state disk. Faster, lighter, less noise and you'll thank yourself when transferring the video files from A to B

- Try to find cameras which are higher than 1080p in resolution

- Get more than one perspective and if possible a camera at roughly eye level.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2016, 02:04 AM   #8
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport Auto

Also, do you have front and rear dashcam's installed? They should have activated after being hit.
Appreciate 0