E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Cool Carbon Review

03-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
Presidio335xi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe

Cool Carbon Review

Despite some people having a bad experience with cool carbon brake pads, I still gave them a shot after reading all the reviews I could find.

I also got the Z4is brake rotors for the poor man's upgraded brake kit.

After trying to do the project myself I eventually went to German Auto Sport in Berkeley. Couldn't get the damn rotors off because they were rusted on pretty good.

Long story short I am very very happy with the cool carbon brake pads. I have about 2,500 miles on them. It took a day or two to get use to the new feel, but now I can't imagine going back to stock pads. Since it requires more brake pressure to initiate that first 20-30% of brake power I have much better control going into and out of corners. A must for achieving the highest possible entrance and exit speed and grip through turns.

There has been ZERO problems, no shuddering at high speeds, absolutely NO noise and dust is low.

I would recommend them for anyone. You just have to install and bed them correctly.

Thanks
      03-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

They are great on the streets indeed. Smooth, not much noise, linear brake feel, etc.

Please be advised that you shouldn't go to any track event with those. Learned it the hard way.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

i actually heard these arent that bad on the track
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
Presidio335xi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonho View Post
Please be advised that you shouldn't go to any track event with those. Learned it the hard way.
Other than the pads not being track pads, what was the "hard way"? Fad?
      03-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presidio335xi View Post
Other than the pads not being track pads, what was the "hard way"? Fad?
I didn't have fade issue. It's probably because I didn't even get to the point of reaching temps high enough for fade to come in.

What happened was, I'd get 2-3 laps in, temps got up a little high, and steering wheel would jutter pretty rediculously even under light tap on the brake. After asking around to many many people, two theories came up:
1) at higher temps, small chunks of pad material comes off the pad and rolls between the rotor and pad
2) because CC pads don't quite have the temperature resistance as proper track pads, they heat up too quickly and end up warping the rotor

The funny thing is, when they are cooled down, they go back to normal. So I had to cool down every 3-4 laps.

Mind you I did proper bed-in of the pads and rotors (all new when I got them installed together, including Superblue) when I got them first installed, before track day, and even during the event when I was off the track - about 2 cycles of 10 stops from 60-20 with about 80-90% braking power.

Whatever the exact reason may be, I deduced that CCs are no good for track. However I'd also like to emphasize that they are GREAT on the road, as I'm really not trying to bash them altogether blatantly. IMO better feel than OEM pads.

Anyways, if you already have em, and you're tracking sometime in the near future, why not just try them. Maybe you'll have a different experience as many others did on this forum. It's just that mine didn't go too too well. Mid-session cool downs really helped tho.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
I put Porterfield RS4 pads on front and back last weekend and I am very happy so far. I am taking the car to the track next weekend and then I'll have a better idea how things are.
      03-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #7
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
I put Porterfield RS4 pads on front and back last weekend and I am very happy so far. I am taking the car to the track next weekend and then I'll have a better idea how things are.
How's the noise w/those pads? What about bite when it's really cold outside?
      03-30-2012, 07:01 AM   #8
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
How's the noise w/those pads? What about bite when it's really cold outside?
So far there is no noise and I did not even apply any brake quiet material on them. Initial bite is equivalent to stock pads. After that, every subsequent bite is way more aggressive. The coldest that I've driven with these here was mid 50's degrees ambient temp.

So far I like them, but it is a bit too early to make a final judgement.