E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Installing Interior LED Bulbs

01-26-2016, 06:34 AM   #155
loknar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i e90 iDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_N54 View Post
I put mine back on and it was fine for months until the other day when it just fell off.. half scared the shit out of me.. Anyways I figure it's because of the sub and I can't get it to stay on anymore.... Any ideas?

Preferably ones that don't involve removing the sub
the cover is really fragile and needs two tiny male pins to hold itself to the dome. I'm gessing one of your pins is missing. I would glue a piece of plastic to replace it. Shouldn't be visible after installation. If you need pics let me know.

Other option is not to use the cover at all. I think it looks great. Actually I'm getting rid of mine or looking for solutions to make the frosty plastic covers match the rest of the car...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 07:16 AM   #156
ForeignAsian
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i Xdrive

Quote:
I put mine back on and it was fine for months until the other day when it just fell off.. half scared the shit out of me.. Anyways I figure it's because of the sub and I can't get it to stay on anymore.... Any ideas?

You might have not snapped it in all the way. I thought I had mine in all the way the first time, hit a pot hole and bam it's on my lap, I read somewhere you have to almost use stupid force to get it in (it's best if you took out the unit before trying to force that in if not you'll be pushing into your headliner) and putting in the rear side first (one that faces the rear) after a good snap, poke around seeing if there's movement in other places. Haven't had issues since, but knowing my luck by me saying that it will probably fall
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #157
b1mmr
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignAsian
Quote:

You might have not snapped it in all the way. I thought I had mine in all the way the first time, hit a pot hole and bam it's on my lap, I read somewhere you have to almost use stupid force to get it in (it's best if you took out the unit before trying to force that in if not you'll be pushing into your headliner) and putting in the rear side first (one that faces the rear) after a good snap, poke around seeing if there's movement in other places. Haven't had issues since, but knowing my luck by me saying that it will probably fall
Ya I'll try that.. I know when everything is still up there you push and the whole unit moves :/ thanks
      01-26-2016, 01:51 PM   #158
b1mmr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by loknar
Quote:

the cover is really fragile and needs two tiny male pins to hold itself to the dome. I'm gessing one of your pins is missing. I would glue a piece of plastic to replace it. Shouldn't be visible after installation. If you need pics let me know.

Other option is not to use the cover at all. I think it looks great. Actually I'm getting rid of mine or looking for solutions to make the frosty plastic covers match the rest of the car...
I was wondering if maybe I broke a tab, I'll check into that next time I'm in the car
      01-28-2016, 05:20 AM   #159
BMSE92_Harry
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

Does anyone have issue with the footwell lights blinking, on and off on and off when the door is opened for longer than 1 min?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 07:17 AM   #160
loknar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrychiu012 View Post
Does anyone have issue with the footwell lights blinking, on and off on and off when the door is opened for longer than 1 min?
Yes. I'm guessing you have led there? This is because the original halogen lights are dimming I guess after a while. Leds can't dim they just flicker or turn off. Some led bulbs can do it I'm sure. But not mine I have the same issue.

Try switching them around.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 03:03 AM   #161
b1mmr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrychiu012
My gf's Kia soul flashes down there when you drive and it's a very dim halogen.. Dim enough to not make you try to fix it but bright enough to piss you off when you start thinking about it
      01-31-2016, 03:09 AM   #162
b1mmr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignAsian
Quote:

So I got around to trying to put the frosty cover back on.. Success. Mine only had one male pin where as loknar said (I think) his had 2 and I couldn't seem to find a spot that looked like anything was ever broken off.

Proper procedure for fully reinstalling the frosty cover is to put the furthest end up in first as if you were latching it in (because you are), then push in the nearest side up in.. With your bright new led installed and turned on it will become aparent where you need to press to get each tab to snap in; and yes, stupid force really is needed.

Cheers & thanks everyone
      01-31-2016, 06:41 AM   #163
loknar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

The frosty cover only has one male pin sorry

Good work Ian
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 12:46 PM   #164
b1mmr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by loknar
The frosty cover only has one male pin sorry

Good work Ian
Yeah I looked it over and couldn't see anywhere where it looked like it may have broken off

I mean I break all sorts of trinkety s**t on this car so I didn't put it past me for a second lol.

Thank ya, couldn't have done it without yall
      03-22-2016, 09:34 PM   #165
somir1
Rep
Drives: 2010 bmw e90

welp

this got screwed

[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xedtnjgs0NI[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #166
mraissam
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335IS

no need to wire things now ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161559522064
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 06:21 AM   #167
JLIT
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
This was phenomenal. I've never thought to reach in to unclip the dome!
18x8.5 et35 VMR 803, Stoptech Trophy Series Front BBK, M4 LCA,KW V2, Seibon CF Hood, APR Gtc250, Agency harness bar, Corbeau A4 Raving Seats and 4pt Harnesses, P3 Display, XHP Stage 3, PR Coils -TTFS-XDI35 hpfp ~CaryJordan Tune Full E85~aFE Momentum GT, Stage 2.5 Walbro 535 LPFP, MPerfExhaust, Quad CF Sleeve Tips, custom quad cf rear diffuser, M2 Style Front bumper with lip. Avery Dark Grey Gloss Vinyl
Appreciate 0