E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Decide for yourself-Gintani cover up

03-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
birdbrain
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Decide for yourself-Gintani cover up

So picked this up on the m3 and m5 board-basically came out gintani was being investigated for fraud, theft of software from other tuners and most recently manipulating dyno data. Also reports that several blown supercharger engines on the m3.

Puts even more doubt that this "supercharger for the n52" was all a scam as gintani was the one providing the tuning supposedly.

I am not saying yay or nay either way-you guys can read and decide for yourself if you would use gintani or related tunes/superchargers if it ever exists

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504140
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
optimaxed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Glad I went down the AA tune
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
ray_futbol
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 328i|E70 LCI xDrive50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimaxed View Post
Glad I went down the AA tune
+1

2013 VW Golf R | APR Stage 2+
2015 BMW F06 640i xDrive | M Sport Edition | 20' Avant Garde M510
Retired 2009 E90 328i xDrive | M Sport | BMW Performance Grille, Intake, Exhaust, BBK | AA Stg 2 | 3 Stage Manifold | Bilstein Sport | Eibach Pro | OEM CF Spoiler | CF Lip | Alufelgen SF-71
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

There's nothing in that thread about theft or being investigated for fraud. There is a lot of arguing over the different readings from different dynos. Dynos do read differently, and will vary depending on the weather.

That said, there could be something going on, but it's too hard to speculate when you don't have enough data. I think it's too early to be making posts like this and starting a shit storm of rumors.

I personally met up with someone with the same car as me who got the gintani tune at OE on OE's dyno. We met at a completely different dyno shop, and had both our cars dyno'd on a dynojet. His car made a significant amount of power more than mine, and the dynojet also read significantly higher than what his dyno at OE read.

It's quite possible, that OE's dyno calibration is off, and reads lower than it should. But when you dyno tune, you are looking for gains over a baseline, not a peak number, unless you just want to brag.

Furthermore, the N52 supercharger has little to do with OE, and is being handled by Craven/Gavin @ MMW. It's completely ignorant and foolish to bring Gavin into this mess, and make a claim that he is running a scam. It's these kinds of words that lead to libel and slander lawsuits, so you might want to rethink your statements. If there are more threads about this, you need to post them, because just the one you linked doesn't have enough information to back up your statements

I have no affiliation with OE, and was actually planning on getting the AA tune. But to make these sorts of accusations prematurely is pretty stupid.

Last edited by mike-y; 03-25-2011 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
turboboosted
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 | E92 | F10

subscribed
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 03:45 AM   #6
Wlew
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

I agree with mike-Y. this shows very little proof about a scam or lawsuit.

Gavin is one of the most honest members on this forum and would never lie or deceit you in any way. I can speak from personal experience that he has told me he would never make a quick sale to me just to make money. He does not play that game. He will be straight forward and honest with you and tell you exactly what you need and give it to you for an excellent price. He would never sell something to you that is bullshit.

Especially the OE tune. He does not work for OE. He simply supplies the tune to his customers. IF and only IF there is a scam, he should not be thrown into this. I highly doubt, unless there is further evidence, that a company like OE would be involved in a case like this.

Gavin is making his own supercharger kit that many of us are likely to purchase. If this case turns out to be true, then he will most absolutely find another software company to provide his consumers with excellent products that he has been proven to deliver since becoming a member.

slander like this should not be posted until further evidence is produced. This is my personal opinion, of course. (Minus what I said about Gavin. I know about 90% of the members here would back me up on his legitimacy).
      03-26-2011, 03:49 AM   #7
EZ_TUR90
Ez tur90
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M6

Well said mike-y.
      03-26-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
Handsome_Rob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i w/6spd!

The OP has been anti-Gavin since he joined a couple of weeks ago. He's trying to "wake us up" to the reality of an impossible N52 FI setup. You know, Columbus wasn't looking for America, my man, but that turned out to be pretty okay for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #9
LaLakers91tc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E92 335i 6MT

I just spent the last hour reading through the various problems with OE/Gintani, and it is a tad surprising,
curious as to what the end result of all this will be

Previous SGM E90 330i (R.I.P.)
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
birdbrain
Banned
Rep

Some of you obviouy didnt read enough-check the links out in the link I posted as that leads to other forum disputes such as the m5 guys regarding discussion of OE blowing a bunch of mercedes owners and steeling tuning software for their m3 supercharger.

I am not anti-gavin but he uses their software so I would be skeptical of any OE product at this point.

I personaly do not care if you decide to use OE or not but wanted to bring it to peoples attention
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #11
Cali335
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

I have had the OE/Gintani tune for about 4 months and love it, no problems
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome_Rob View Post
The OP has been anti-Gavin since he joined a couple of weeks ago. He's trying to "wake us up" to the reality of an impossible N52 FI setup. You know, Columbus wasn't looking for America, my man, but that turned out to be pretty okay for everyone.
Awesome post
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #13
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbrain View Post
So picked this up on the m3 and m5 board-basically came out gintani was being investigated for fraud, theft of software from other tuners and most recently manipulating dyno data. Also reports that several blown supercharger engines on the m3.

Puts even more doubt that this "supercharger for the n52" was all a scam as gintani was the one providing the tuning supposedly.

I am not saying yay or nay either way-you guys can read and decide for yourself if you would use gintani or related tunes/superchargers if it ever exists

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504140

Gintani is in no way affiliated with my S/C kit

I'd like to be very clear LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #14
Proper Motion LLC
Custom Powder Coater
Rep
Drives: White 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post

Furthermore, the N52 supercharger has little to do with OE, and is being handled by Craven/Gavin @ MMW. It's completely ignorant and foolish to bring Gavin into this mess, and make a claim that he is running a scam. It's these kinds of words that lead to libel and slander lawsuits, so you might want to rethink your statements. If there are more threads about this, you need to post them, because just the one you linked doesn't have enough information to back up your statements
The OP never mentioned Gavin @ MMW.

So no, those kind of words don't lead to libel and slander lawsuits
      03-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #15
t1mmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2008 Sport

interesting read (s) clickng through the various links. Definitely curious - funny how they do mention an EZ-Flash module for the M3, 328i can't be that much different
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #16
markham335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

oh wow this should get interesting fast lol
Upgrades: <Cobb V3, DCI, BMS downpipes, ER charge pipe, Forge DV, bbs ch-r, 30%tint all around, bmw performance exhaust, umnitza V4 angel eyes>.....Next upgrades (I would like):intercooler, BBK, turbo upgrade....etc....
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #17
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Absolutely do not lump Gavin in with Gintani. Gavin is a stand up guy in the n52 community as far as I am concerned.

That said, and on a COMPLETELY SEPARATE NOTE, I just spent like an hour (oops) reading all the threads, and it does in fact seem like Alex and Jeremy are up to some shady biz on their dynos, and are now wishing for it to go away very fervently. I would love to see a showdown to clear the air, but I strongly doubt it will ever happen.
      03-28-2011, 11:29 PM   #18
birdbrain
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
There's nothing in that thread about theft or being investigated for fraud. There is a lot of arguing over the different readings from different dynos. Dynos do read differently, and will vary depending on the weather.

That said, there could be something going on, but it's too hard to speculate when you don't have enough data. I think it's too early to be making posts like this and starting a shit storm of rumors.

I personally met up with someone with the same car as me who got the gintani tune at OE on OE's dyno. We met at a completely different dyno shop, and had both our cars dyno'd on a dynojet. His car made a significant amount of power more than mine, and the dynojet also read significantly higher than what his dyno at OE read.

It's quite possible, that OE's dyno calibration is off, and reads lower than it should. But when you dyno tune, you are looking for gains over a baseline, not a peak number, unless you just want to brag.

I have no affiliation with OE, and was actually planning on getting the AA tune. But to make these sorts of accusations prematurely is pretty stupid.
Clearly you have no concept of the law as this is as far away from what libel or slander is that you can get. The entire concept of libel and slander is that it is a proven false statement made up to cause harm to another financially/emotionally or personally. Posting a picture of their own dyno graph that they posted on the internet with someones calculations added up and posted is purely factual as is the link provided to this. Since Gavin has used OE tunes and such then its also reasonable to atleast question the tunes he has been selling. This is all information provided by OE so they cannot obviously slander themselves. Again the information has to be knowingly false with intent to injure someone. Not with intent to educate with factual statements/data.

Keep reading up on the law though
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:03 AM   #19
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbrain View Post
Puts even more doubt that this "supercharger for the n52" was all a scam

These threads are about dyno tunes, and have nothing to do with the supercharger kit. Not one single mention of it. Gavin already said his kit isn't affiliated with Gintani, yet you keep trying to link them together with these threads, which you say "supercharger for the n52 was all a scam".

now tell us how you are going to prove that this is a true statement, and how it is not meant to do harm.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #20
birdbrain
Banned
Rep

Gintani is/was doing the tuning for gavins supercharger project, not him. Since its their tuning that is in question than of course it is relevent. He is using their software for his project-if you cant see how that is related than that is your fault
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 06:39 AM   #21
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
I don't know why I'm even posting this, but as an outside lurker without a dog in this fight I thought I'd add some perspective.

I don't know anything about Gavin, except that he seems to be generally well-liked and respected on this board. I have every reason to believe that he is the stand-up guy that everyone seems to think he is.

That said, I have to wonder sometimes why so many people fawn all over him.

He runs a shop that claims to be "the leader in N52 performance modification," yet his shop's website has a dearth of products for that platform. In fact, the only N52-specific product to be found (by me, at least) is the BMS PowerBox.

He also seems to be working on a never-ending project for an N52 S/C kit. Great, if it comes to fruition. And I'm not saying it won't. But why celebrate something that hasn't happened yet? Then there's the exhaust headers, which seem to be coming along very well - but aren't available yet to my knowledge.

So, unless I'm missing something, the bulk of his tuning insight seems to be "charcoal filter delete, K&N drop-in filter, and scoops." SRSLY?

I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk, and I wish Gavin the best of luck in his pursuits. I'm glad to see someone take the N52 seriously as a tuning platform. But until he produces tangible results, I don't see why everyone defers to him as some sort of N52 guru.

Am I missing something? I concede that there very well could be breakthroughs that he has made for the N52 that I have no idea about. Are there? If so, he really needs to do some work on his website. At least have an "in development" section or something. If you're going to put yourself out there as "the leader in N52 performance modification," you ought to be able to back it up with something.

Anyway, my 2¢.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 08:26 AM   #22
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I don't know why I'm even posting this, but as an outside lurker without a dog in this fight I thought I'd add some perspective.

I don't know anything about Gavin, except that he seems to be generally well-liked and respected on this board. I have every reason to believe that he is the stand-up guy that everyone seems to think he is.

That said, I have to wonder sometimes why so many people fawn all over him.

He runs a shop that claims to be "the leader in N52 performance modification," yet his shop's website has a dearth of products for that platform. In fact, the only N52-specific product to be found (by me, at least) is the BMS PowerBox.

He also seems to be working on a never-ending project for an N52 S/C kit. Great, if it comes to fruition. And I'm not saying it won't. But why celebrate something that hasn't happened yet? Then there's the exhaust headers, which seem to be coming along very well - but aren't available yet to my knowledge.

So, unless I'm missing something, the bulk of his tuning insight seems to be "charcoal filter delete, K&N drop-in filter, and scoops." SRSLY?

I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk, and I wish Gavin the best of luck in his pursuits. I'm glad to see someone take the N52 seriously as a tuning platform. But until he produces tangible results, I don't see why everyone defers to him as some sort of N52 guru.

Am I missing something? I concede that there very well could be breakthroughs that he has made for the N52 that I have no idea about. Are there? If so, he really needs to do some work on his website. At least have an "in development" section or something. If you're going to put yourself out there as "the leader in N52 performance modification," you ought to be able to back it up with something.

Anyway, my 2¢.
Wow
Appreciate 0