E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > HPFP question.

06-03-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
Pangearox
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
HPFP question Edit. new pump installed. Turbo hose blew off on the way home.

Hey all...

i had a question about my fuel pump. i had the long cranking issue for about a week....and very very rough idle when first started the car.

then the engine malfunction light came on, only yellow though.

took the car in, they said they reset the adaption values of the high pressure pump control valve and it seems fine now. they told me if it happens again they will have to replace the HPFP.

how long do i have before im going to need a new pump???

Last edited by Pangearox; 06-11-2009 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
in before the search crowd!

where's canuck?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

you're on borrowed time. no saying when it will die though
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
Pangearox
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
in before the search crowd!

where's canuck?
thanks for the helpful post. jeez.

i searched, most people just had theirs replaced right away.

i want to know if there is anyone like me that they just reset some codes and sent me back.

i dont need the sarcastic posts thanks
      06-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
shaddai
former N54 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Audi S4 DTM

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Have them do SIB 12 55 06 and do a pressure test. Chances are it will fail.
      06-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
smartys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangearox View Post
thanks for the helpful post. jeez.

i searched, most people just had theirs replaced right away.

i want to know if there is anyone like me that they just reset some codes and sent me back.

i dont need the sarcastic posts thanks
Hey man,

I had almost the same issue.....my car started giving me sliiiiightly longer cranks on Cold starts in the morning, after I got my Dinan tune.....nothing major though.....

When I took it into the dealer, they told me the same thing, that there was a "low pressure fault", but the HPFP tested fine, and they "reset the adaptation"......

My car still gave some slightly longer cranks (and I mean slight, like 2.5seconds instead of instant---and I know it sounds like I'm being paranoid, but my car ALWAYS started instantly, and then it started giving me slightly longer cranks), and on top of the cranks, after the tune, when I dyno'd the car, though there were clear gains post-flash, there was a dip in the torque curve btw 2-3k rpms down to stock values before it picked up, and the AFRs were ridiculously low, like 10....

Anyways, after they "reset the adaptation", I still had slightly longer cranks, and I felt like there was something missing in performance compared to the first couple of weeks after the tune.....

So recently, i went back in for an oil change and told them my cranks were still a bit long......I don't even think they tested it, they just told me they ordered the part and tomo I'm going back in for it to be replaced.....

I think that SIB that someone posted is a good idea....just go back in, tell them you're still having long cranks, but no errors (if you haven't had any since), and ask them to run the HPFP pressure test as suggested by the other member, and see what happens.....

If it fails, then you got a new pump.....might as well try, and get a new pump now before it gets worse.....

BTW, +1 on the sarcastic remarks, sometimes it can be irritating, but at the same time, it's usually just all in good fun.....if you let it slide off your back, they're usually quite funny! Just don't sweat it....

Hope this helps!
      06-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
Pangearox
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartys View Post
Hey man,

I had almost the same issue.....my car started giving me sliiiiightly longer cranks on Cold starts in the morning, after I got my Dinan tune.....nothing major though.....

When I took it into the dealer, they told me the same thing, that there was a "low pressure fault", but the HPFP tested fine, and they "reset the adaptation"......

My car still gave some slightly longer cranks (and I mean slight, like 2.5seconds instead of instant---and I know it sounds like I'm being paranoid, but my car ALWAYS started instantly, and then it started giving me slightly longer cranks), and on top of the cranks, after the tune, when I dyno'd the car, though there were clear gains post-flash, there was a dip in the torque curve btw 2-3k rpms down to stock values before it picked up, and the AFRs were ridiculously low, like 10....

Anyways, after they "reset the adaptation", I still had slightly longer cranks, and I felt like there was something missing in performance compared to the first couple of weeks after the tune.....

So recently, i went back in for an oil change and told them my cranks were still a bit long......I don't even think they tested it, they just told me they ordered the part and tomo I'm going back in for it to be replaced.....

I think that SIB that someone posted is a good idea....just go back in, tell them you're still having long cranks, but no errors (if you haven't had any since), and ask them to run the HPFP pressure test as suggested by the other member, and see what happens.....

If it fails, then you got a new pump.....might as well try, and get a new pump now before it gets worse.....

BTW, +1 on the sarcastic remarks, sometimes it can be irritating, but at the same time, it's usually just all in good fun.....if you let it slide off your back, they're usually quite funny! Just don't sweat it..

Hope this helps!
hey, thanks for the help.

but, wouldnt you know my luck, the pump died this morning. car wont start.

so i guess im getting a new one hahah
      06-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
Pangearox
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
hey everyone,

another question, im a bit confused.

i just got a call from my dealer that they installed a new HPFP in my car, and that they had to reflash my software.

i had the Dinan stage II in it. obviously i have to get it reflashed, but

A) why did they reflash my car??
and
B) is there anything i should know about the new software from BMW??
      06-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
Ginsu69
Rep
Drives: 2000 323Ci

Alright, so I know this HPFP has been discussed ad nauseam in many posts and to be quite honest I'm borderline scared out of my wits as I await delivery either this week or next of my 09 335. I'm trying to remain positive thinking that many drivers are not having issues, my neighbor included whose 07 335 has 35k + miles and not one hiccup.

I am curious though, and I know this is the E90 post board, of all the BMW models with this engine, e.g. 135, 535 etc., how prevalent is the HPFP problem? I can't help but wonder are the peeps on those boards expressing the same frustrations?

Anybody have any insight on this?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #10
takashin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 YMB F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsu69 View Post
Alright, so I know this HPFP has been discussed ad nauseam in many posts and to be quite honest I'm borderline scared out of my wits as I await delivery either this week or next of my 09 335. I'm trying to remain positive thinking that many drivers are not having issues, my neighbor included whose 07 335 has 35k + miles and not one hiccup.

I am curious though, and I know this is the E90 post board, of all the BMW models with this engine, e.g. 135, 535 etc., how prevalent is the HPFP problem? I can't help but wonder are the peeps on those boards expressing the same frustrations?

But i'll still answer.

Not as much as you think, but don't be surprised if you get it.
Everyone here who has an HPFP problem complains. Done. So the numbers here are blown out of proportion like crazy. However, BMWNA knows about this problem and are extending HPFP warranties etc. It may come up, but don't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Sounds like a classic case of HPFP.

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 12:18 AM   #12
SMA335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsu69 View Post

I was in the same boat as you hoping for the best..Now my 09 is 6 months old with only 3400 miles and guess what, my HPFP was replaced today. Symptoms surfaced only once this last Saturday and the HPFP was toast thereafter
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 12:51 AM   #13
smartys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangearox View Post
hey everyone,

another question, im a bit confused.

i just got a call from my dealer that they installed a new HPFP in my car, and that they had to reflash my software.

i had the Dinan stage II in it. obviously i have to get it reflashed, but

A) why did they reflash my car??
and
B) is there anything i should know about the new software from BMW??
what?? consider yourself lucky!!

When I had my HPFP changed, they said the car didn't need to be reflashed! And to get the updated DME (which I wanted, based on what so many have said re: this, ie updated DME + DSII = way better performance), i had to pay the fee to flash to stock and reflash, which was $375 bucks! Can you post your invoice?

If it's necessary, then I can try to get my $$ back!

thanks
      06-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #14
Pangearox
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartys View Post
what?? consider yourself lucky!!

When I had my HPFP changed, they said the car didn't need to be reflashed! And to get the updated DME (which I wanted, based on what so many have said re: this, ie updated DME + DSII = way better performance), i had to pay the fee to flash to stock and reflash, which was $375 bucks! Can you post your invoice?

If it's necessary, then I can try to get my $$ back!

thanks
hey sorry i cant post my invoice, its in a folder at my dad's office.

but, here is another question for people...

if you have read the post you would know i had my HPFP replaced last week. Today i was driving the car, and the whole inside of my car stunk of Gasoline smell...even outside the car you could smell it, and the Engine Malfunction light came back on again.

anyone have an idea what could have happened? could they have installed the pump incorrectly?
      06-11-2009, 01:50 AM   #15
MNR0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i (also own an LS1)

Most likely a fuel leak. Get it checked out.

You have HPFP Flu

There is no vaccine
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #16
Pangearox
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNR0 View Post
Most likely a fuel leak. Get it checked out.

You have HPFP Flu

There is no vaccine
well i got my answer.

it was on of the turbos.

i guess when they put in the fuel pump they had to unhook the turbo, well, when the tech put the turbo back in the car, he didnt attach the clamp on the hose properly. the next day when i stepped on the gas hard and the turbo spooled up, poof! the hose blew off.