E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Best insurer for turbo upgrades

06-06-2022, 09:08 AM   #23
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
So are the parts installed insured then? So if you get in an accident they have to replace the aftermarket parts?
if it's damaged due to a accident and you claim then they will either replace with like for like or if they reckon it's not worth it, write the car off, value your car and pay you off, what they think it's worth, then bump your insurance up regardless if ot was your fault or not. This is assuming you have fully comprehensive insurance.

Basically you loose which ever way you look at it.

I was involved in a minor accident, wasn't my fault, insurance company even noted it as a non fault but claimed over 4k from the third party and then bumped up my insurance the following year. Thieves.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 03:08 PM   #24
Sethorion
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport LCI 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
So are the parts installed insured then? So if you get in an accident they have to replace the aftermarket parts?
None of the insurers I've used cover modifications.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 03:37 PM   #25
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethorion View Post
None of the insurers I've used cover modifications.
Wow they really are porking you guys over. God I hate insurance companies.

What stops you guys from saying you had no idea the modifications were done to the car and you bought it that way? Must have been done by the last guy and they can't expect you to search over every nut and bolt and how do they expect you the 'average' person to know if a part is modified or non stock? My control arms are from an M3, would I by the letter of the law need to declare them? They are stamped BMW, from BMW, and from a BMW that uses the chassis, just not this exact model. How can they expect a person to know what parts are aftermarket and what have to be declared?

It sounds like they are just 'asking you' I don't think it would hold up in court. "I am not a mechanic, how would I know this part is modified from stock your honor? I never once opened the hood, I pay my mechanic to do my oil changes and work on my car."

Last edited by Torgus; 06-06-2022 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 04:15 PM   #26
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

So much of it is at their discretion really. Any tyres other than the factory fit are 'modified', but you so rarely hear of anyones insurance claim being void. It's only for the most clear cut cases really.

For my case, ticking the 'modified suspension' box adds very little to my premium, and at least then everything is above board. Having to declare every single modified component though - that would be pretty insane. For example, a previous insurer didn't care that my suspension was modified, so long as the ride height was stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 04:16 PM   #27
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

From a legal point of view it's up to the owner/driver of the car to comply with the law, that includes declaring mods to your insurance company and ensuring the vehicle is road worthy. In the eyes of the law an MOT doesn't mean a cars road worthy it just means it was road worthy the day it was tested. You still have to maintain that level of road worthyness untill the next MOT. You could try telling the insurance company that the previous owner modded the car and you know nothing about it. They will just rub their hand together with glee and tell you that your insurance is now invalidated.

On a practical level of course if you have M3 arms fitted it's highly unlikely that an average inspector will recognise them and indeed many other mods that could be done to a car, but just because it's not easily detectable doesn't mean it's legal. It's still illegal.

The question is are you happy to just not declare your mods (if you have them) and take the chance of your insurance company discovering said mods and invalidating your insurance. That's entirely up to you.

For me, I would rather declare it as I know what slippery fuckers insurance companies are when it comes to refusing payouts. They will happily take your money but will do anything to avoid actually paying out when you need it.
Appreciate 0