E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > What MHD tune should I be running?

04-18-2021, 10:38 PM   #1
blamped.e92
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92 335i

What MHD tune should I be running?

Hello all, I have a 2010 335i e92 with 80,000 miles. The car currently has the following modifications :
VRSF DCI
ARM 5inch competition FMIC
VRSF Charge pipe
HKS BOV
Custom Oil Catch can ( Via Haus Of Power in CA)
Brand new Eldor Coils
NGK 2 step colder plugs.

In addition to this, I had the all the vacuum lines replaced with platinum cured silicone vacuum lines, and the Oil filter housing, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, thermostat, upper coolant hoses, water pump, all done in the last 10,000 miles.

Im currently running the car on MHD Stage 1 +, on 91 California pump gas, and I use the MHD Monitor to check everything, and all temps ( Coolant, Oil, trans, and IAT) all below or at the normal temp, except IAT which are obviously way lower. I have absolutely zero issues, but im wondering if I can upgrade to stage 2 or 2+ ? Im figuring not because of the OEM cat not allowing the air to flow as fast as it needs to so the engine would pull timing, but im wondering what you guys think/have done. Ive heard stories of people going stage 1+ with a stock car, but im all about over building the car for whatever tune I have applied, a keeping that methodology applied as I move higher up in power, to have some semblance of reliability. Thanks for any help. Also if anyone has any reccomendations for a fuel pump that can run full e85, full pump gas, and any mix, as id like to dive into e85, but Los Angeles doesn't have a lot of stations.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 10:46 PM   #2
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamped.e92 View Post
Hello all, I have a 2010 335i e92 with 80,000 miles. The car currently has the following modifications :
VRSF DCI
ARM 5inch competition FMIC
VRSF Charge pipe
HKS BOV
Custom Oil Catch can ( Via Haus Of Power in CA)
Brand new Eldor Coils
NGK 2 step colder plugs.

In addition to this, I had the all the vacuum lines replaced with platinum cured silicone vacuum lines, and the Oil filter housing, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, thermostat, upper coolant hoses, water pump, all done in the last 10,000 miles.

Im currently running the car on MHD Stage 1 +, on 91 California pump gas, and I use the MHD Monitor to check everything, and all temps ( Coolant, Oil, trans, and IAT) all below or at the normal temp, except IAT which are obviously way lower. I have absolutely zero issues, but im wondering if I can upgrade to stage 2 or 2+ ? Im figuring not because of the OEM cat not allowing the air to flow as fast as it needs to so the engine would pull timing, but im wondering what you guys think/have done. Ive heard stories of people going stage 1+ with a stock car, but im all about over building the car for whatever tune I have applied, a keeping that methodology applied as I move higher up in power, to have some semblance of reliability. Thanks for any help. Also if anyone has any reccomendations for a fuel pump that can run full e85, full pump gas, and any mix, as id like to dive into e85, but Los Angeles doesn't have a lot of stations.
You are on the correct tune for your current mods. However I wondered this also before I went catless. I spoke to wedge performance who actually makes the ots tunes for MHD.

You can go 2+ as long as your not tracking the car or pushing it hard for a long period of time. 2+ boost tapers less before redline therefore making more heat. The cats can overheat if you were to push the car too long.
I did run 2+ myself with cats for a couple months. I had zero issues. You just won't be making the full power of that map. That being said, I recommend just keeping the tune matched to your mods.
      04-18-2021, 10:55 PM   #3
blamped.e92
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
You are on the correct tune for your current mods. However I wondered this also before I went catless. I spoke to wedge performance who actually makes the ots tunes for MHD.

You can go 2+ as long as your not tracking the car or pushing it hard for a long period of time. 2+ boost tapers less before redline therefore making more heat. The cats can overheat if you were to push the car too long.
I did run 2+ myself with cats for a couple months. I had zero issues. You just won't be making the full power of that map. That being said, I recommend just keeping the tune matched to your mods.
That makes sense, the boost in preformance would basically be negligible unless paired with the downpipes. Another question if you don't mind, aside from turbo inlets and outlets, and a flex fuel pump, what else should I get If I want to make right around 500-550whp? Idealy, id like the build the car to be able to output around the high 5's but have the tune set 15%-20% below the maximum capabilities to not stress anything too much.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 12:11 AM   #4
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamped.e92 View Post
That makes sense, the boost in preformance would basically be negligible unless paired with the downpipes. Another question if you don't mind, aside from turbo inlets and outlets, and a flex fuel pump, what else should I get If I want to make right around 500-550whp? Idealy, id like the build the car to be able to output around the high 5's but have the tune set 15%-20% below the maximum capabilities to not stress anything too much.
Stage 2 turbos, Lower pressure fuel pump will need to be upgraded (at least stage 2) and E85.
Appreciate 0