E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Adding towing hitch (completely hidden)

06-25-2021, 11:14 AM   #23
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunafishE93 View Post
To say adding a trailer hitch to an already problematic rear suspension is irresponsible.. But their next post will be https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1769557
2000 lbs in the back is a way different thing than 200lbs of tongue weight.

if guy had used a trailer he wouldn't have collapsed the rear suspension.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 11:31 AM   #24
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
Honestly my only complaint about towing is I cant turn off the PDC sensors. Putting it in reverse with the trailer on makes it think Im constantly going to run into my own trailer.
That is precisely why I wanted to try to retrofit the E70 setup. The same thing is super annoying with my hitch rack on--it would be cool to put a dummy plug in there to make it think there was a trailer on the back to make the PDC sensors shut up when I'm using the rack.

I think its totally possible, I just need some time and motivation to sit down with a circuit diagram to figure it out and take my interior apart.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 11:33 AM   #25
ryan stewart
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
To say adding a trailer hitch to an already problematic rear suspension is irresponsible.. But their next post will be https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1769557
Lol, trying to put a ton of stone or whatever in the back of a car has nothing to do with a problematic suspension or towing with a proper trailer. You don't belong in this thread, you don't know anything about the subject. We get it, your uninformed opinion is we should all buy trucks.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 11:40 AM   #26
ryan stewart
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
That is precisely why I wanted to try to retrofit the E70 setup. The same thing is super annoying with my hitch rack on--it would be cool to put a dummy plug in there to make it think there was a trailer on the back to make the PDC sensors shut up when I'm using the rack.

I think its totally possible, I just need some time and motivation to sit down with a circuit diagram to figure it out and take my interior apart.
Be interesting what you find. For me it was such a minor gripe I just never cared. It only really happens when backing into a stall in the paddock for about 20 seconds

Now, if I had a jet ski or something that would be another matter.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 11:56 AM   #27
TunafishE93
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Look up rear suspension failures on these cars and we will see who the uninformed is. 95% of the failures are just the car weight. The one i posted is an exaggeration but the severity of the issue shouldnt be ignored.

Its one thing to mod a car to put yourself in danger but to mod a car to put anyone around you in danger also is stupid. And to down play this stupidity is reckless.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 12:14 PM   #28
ryan stewart
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Look up rear suspension failures on these cars and we will see who the uninformed is. 95% of the failures are just the car weight. The one i posted is an exaggeration but the severity of the issue shouldnt be ignored.

Its one thing to mod a car to put yourself in danger but to mod a car to put anyone around you in danger also is stupid. And to down play this stupidity is reckless.
The one you posted is BS and has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Youre just a know-nothing self-important person with a worthless opinion.

Nobody is putting anyone in danger by fitting a tow bar and towing within the specifications that were actually even published by BMW in Europe, where they sold that Westfalia tow kit as OEM at the dealer with the UCC controller. BMW in the US just didnt carry over those recommendations because everyone here thinks "LOL buy a truck" and are as ignorant as you are about cars.

Everyone else, just ignore this guy, he doesn't know anything about E90s and is just grasping at straws (like posting an asinine post about some guy overloading his trunk with stone) to support his stupid take.

nsjames. I found the part # for the Westfalia Canbus kit but its for their 7 pin setup (which is what his looked like as well), you'd probably have to run an adapter.

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 12:28 PM   #29
TunafishE93
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Whats the oem part number? I know more abour your car than you will ever.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 01:54 PM   #30
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Anyone who would know enough about cars to want to pay what it would cost for me to part with the e91* is going to know well enough that there is no issue with me towing a motorcycle that weighs less than two average Americans and is sprung on its own axle. I'd be listing it as a feature, not a bug, as it's a properly specced and fitted mount.

The e9x has more power, more torque, a higher gross weight, a better tranny and miles better brakes than an early 90s Ford ranger. We don't need noobs to tell us to buy shitbox trucks

Hell I even got 27mpg on my most recent trip to Savannah, my car is under less stress responsibility towing than some kid "doing pulls."

Only Americans think you need a truck to carry a toolbox.

*Or a scrap dealer, as I plan to drive the wheels off of this thing.
Eh, I'll have to disagree about the Ranger. I had a 1987 STX and towed quite a bit with it. A far more stout vehicle to tow with than a 3-series. And I used to tow a 19' Grady White with my dad's '72 Mercury Marquis. That CAR never even noticed the boat. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 04:09 PM   #31
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Two adults in the back seat weigh more than the tongue weight of any trailer you should ever be hooking to the car.

just because it has a hitch doesn't mean you should expect it to tow 10K lbs.

Used within it's limits there is nothing wrong with using a 3 series to tow a trailer. There's a reason you have gross axle weight limits. You can overload the car doing anything.
It has larger brakes and more power than pretty much any 90's pickup truck.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 09:35 AM   #32
ryan stewart
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Whats the oem part number? I know more abour your car than you will ever.
Go sit in the corner big shot, the adults are talking about a subject you obvious know nothing about. Sorry to be rude but to come in here and try and "mansplain" towing and telling us we are irresponsible and dangerous means you dont deserve respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Eh, I'll have to disagree about the Ranger. I had a 1987 STX and towed quite a bit with it. A far more stout vehicle to tow with than a 3-series. And I used to tow a 19' Grady White with my dad's '72 Mercury Marquis. That CAR never even noticed the boat. Lol.
Not knocking the Ranger, and the STX was a slight upgrade. But in 1993 you could buy one with a little 4, drum rears, and actually had a lower curb weight. I know which one Id rather rely on in an emergency stop...

The point was, essentially, modern cars are far more capable than most americans think (the rest of the world knows better, didnt fall into the "every man needs a massive truck" marketing hole). The Merc is a good example, it used to be a MASSIVE car. Now a 3 series wagon is only a couple hundred pounds lighter, makes more power, etc.

nsjames, the Can adapter is NLA (obviously) in Europe from anyone but westfalia but they still list it on their own website as out of stock, so maybe you could get on a list or track a used one down and just run an adapter from the 7 pin layout.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 10:32 AM   #33
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Go sit in the corner big shot, the adults are talking about a subject you obvious know nothing about. Sorry to be rude but to come in here and try and "mansplain" towing and telling us we are irresponsible and dangerous means you dont deserve respect.

Not knocking the Ranger, and the STX was a slight upgrade. But in 1993 you could buy one with a little 4, drum rears, and actually had a lower curb weight. I know which one Id rather rely on in an emergency stop...

The point was, essentially, modern cars are far more capable than most americans think (the rest of the world knows better, didnt fall into the "every man needs a massive truck" marketing hole). The Merc is a good example, it used to be a MASSIVE car. Now a 3 series wagon is only a couple hundred pounds lighter, makes more power, etc.

nsjames, the Can adapter is NLA (obviously) in Europe from anyone but westfalia but they still list it on their own website as out of stock, so maybe you could get on a list or track a used one down and just run an adapter from the 7 pin layout.
Obviously Europe is different, but being I live in Central Virginia, which is mostly farm and horse country, all of the horse trailers, even small ones I see probably weigh as much as the E90 chassis is rated to tow, which is 2,500 pounds per your post. Throw in a normal sized horse, say 1,200 pounds, and I'd think there are better suited trucks to tow with, like a 30 year old Ranger STX. BTW, my wife had a horse for 12 years, so it's not like I'm unfamiliar with the subject.

In the US, the most popular vehicle sold is a Ford F150, so why wouldn't one just tow with it, that's what it is made for. No one is pissing on the E90, but here in the US it's not rated to tow anything. While it has a decent amount of towing capacity, for a horse in the US, with a US horse trailer hauling it, I'd not go with an E90.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 06-26-2021 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 05:40 PM   #34
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
piss on it then, I'll just wire an isolator into the turn signal wires at the lights.

Probably the tekonsha one, as I've never had any issue out of their products.
My made in 1996 voyager brake controller finally died last time I went to use it and it got immediately replaced with a P3.
Can't really complain about a brake controller that made it 20+ years.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 10:54 AM   #35
ryan stewart
Captain
Rep

Another 400 miles of towing. No exploding rear suspension, just a couple hours at 80mph while enjoying my coffee and listening to some classical guitar

Last edited by ryan stewart; 07-20-2021 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 07:35 AM   #36
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Your pic doesn't work, but its awesome that its humming along nicely.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 08:46 AM   #37
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Does anyone know why euro hitches curve like that? It's not a 2" receiver, right?

they come in handy with bike racks imho.

I put one on my wife's GM SUV and the holes/weld nuts were rusted from 9 years on the road. Amazingly it took time and patience to clean them. What I like about american cars is $100 for the hitch (Draw Tite) and $23 for the 4-pin wiring harness that simply snaps in between existing wiring. They said 25 min job but took me 2 hours due to the rust.

the thing about towing is it off loads the front axle unless there is a weight distributing setup, not ideal imho for our cars...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 08:51 AM   #38
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
Two adults in the back seat weigh more than the tongue weight of any trailer you should ever be hooking to the car.

just because it has a hitch doesn't mean you should expect it to tow 10K lbs.

Used within it's limits there is nothing wrong with using a 3 series to tow a trailer. There's a reason you have gross axle weight limits. You can overload the car doing anything.
It has larger brakes and more power than pretty much any 90's pickup truck.
Not to mention most modern SUVs have a 7 pin connector which does a lot more than activate turn signals and parking lamps. Many even with pickups couldn't tell you what's going on when you load a trailer, like anything else, tongue weight and overall weight seem to be the only consideration. Putting some of the weight onto the trailer axle(s) themselves and back onto the vehicle's front is desirable for handling. Many simply dwell upon the rear being able to meet the numbers...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 02:14 PM   #39
ryan stewart
Captain
Rep

Hopefully pic works now.

On the euro hitches I think its JUST the ball, they dont really think about the modular receiver. The invisihitch/execuhitch I have comes with both, the ball mount and then it also can have a 2" receiver for racks and whatnot.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 03:40 PM   #40
Captain Buumer
Private
Rep
Drives: 325D

Have towed couple of tonnes, already returned investment with selling scrap metal. It's really great, most i could fit on trailer was 1200kg of building rubbish.

Car is rated up to 1800kg and don't think theres any issues with this kind of weight.

Brakes are good, accelerating is good, first experience with a car that wasn't really hindered by some extra weight rolling behind.

Before fitting hitch did replace springs/shocks and some bushing as they seemed to be older than 10 years based on thickness of corrosion. Even the bushings were rusting, yikes. Just critical stuff, nothing more.

So it's westfalia kit, same one as factory puts minus the bmw logos. Diesel has premade hole for it in the rear bumper.

Based on feedback seems like the hitch usage is vastly different. In EU most people don't really have option/room to buy separate SUV or some bigger car so the daily car just gets added functionality.

It's quite normal to see all kinds of cars have hitch ranging from golf4, lots of audis and some ZAZ still drive arond with trailer behind. Yesterday in large supplies shop parking spot every 4th bmw had it.

All cars have tow ratings and as long as you don't exceed the weight limit or distribute load wrong there is no problem doing it.
Appreciate 0