E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Ege valve and mas error codes

07-02-2021, 05:34 PM   #1
pablorogue123
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 320d

Ege valve and mas error codes

Hi. I have an E90 320d. Car was struggling for power, codes said egr valve and mass air flow sensor. I've had both of these replaced. Car is running fine now but engine management light is back on and egr valve and mass air flow codes keep coming back even after they are cleared. Any suggestions? thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 12:09 PM   #2
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Well what exactly are the codes? I'm sure there's more info to be revealed when you analyze both of these engine codes.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 12:40 AM   #3
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D, V-10 Touareg Diesel

Ege valve and mas error codes possible cause

I had a problem with my car getting a SES light due to the MAF sensor. I do not remember the code but it was that the MAF was not reading the expected air flow rates. I replaced the MAF with a OEM Bosch MAF and the codes came back within a week or two. The code kept coming back every month or so and I could never resolve the issue. It took me over a year to find out the actual cause. I decided to do a carbon buildup cleaning on the car because the car has 90,000 miles on it. The carbon build up was moderately bad (30% plugged). I cleaned up the carbon buildup with walnut blasting. After the carbon cleaning, I no longer have the occasional MAF sensor code. I think the reduction of the air flow due to the carbon buildup was causing the MAF code. It makes sence that the carbon buildup could cause a restriction in the air flow which caused the SES lights.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 05:11 PM   #4
CRJ68
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

I had these same codes on my car using a crappy scanner. Generic EGR and MAF codes.

With a better scanner you can get more specific codes and get pointed in the right direction. Most auto parts stores will let you borrow one (Im sure you know) get your hands on their better one and see if it has "BMW Enhanced" mode
Appreciate 0