E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 328i Exhaust

10-08-2017, 10:56 PM   #23
iullah
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Xdrive E92 A/T

Update:

I ended up taking the cheap route and bought a straight-through Magnaflow muffler (#14862). When I brought it to the muffler shop to get it installed, they said that there "wasn't enough room to fit" normally due to its length, so if I wanted to angle it in order to give it enough space they would need to bend the tubes in between the muffler and the tips, therefore meaning I would need to spend substantially more than a standard installation. So, I made the decision to buy another Magnaflow muffler, this time not straight through, but was shorter (11 inches in length compared to the straight-through which was 14 inches) allowing it to fit in the muffler cavity without much manipulation.

Overall, I am a bit underwhelmed. There is an obvious difference between the stock sound, but the amount of sound and raspyness is simply not what I was hoping for. That being said, there is virtually no drone making my highway commutes no worse than my stock setup, while still being able to hear something a little louder than stock when pulling from a red light.

I do forsee myself taking out the resonator in the near future to add some volume/more aggressive sound to the system, but I'll need to do a little more research first.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 02:15 AM   #24
Emjaydc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iullah View Post
Update:

I ended up taking the cheap route and bought a straight-through Magnaflow muffler (#14862). When I brought it to the muffler shop to get it installed, they said that there "wasn't enough room to fit" normally due to its length, so if I wanted to angle it in order to give it enough space they would need to bend the tubes in between the muffler and the tips, therefore meaning I would need to spend substantially more than a standard installation. So, I made the decision to buy another Magnaflow muffler, this time not straight through, but was shorter (11 inches in length compared to the straight-through which was 14 inches) allowing it to fit in the muffler cavity without much manipulation.

Overall, I am a bit underwhelmed. There is an obvious difference between the stock sound, but the amount of sound and raspyness is simply not what I was hoping for. That being said, there is virtually no drone making my highway commutes no worse than my stock setup, while still being able to hear something a little louder than stock when pulling from a red light.

I do forsee myself taking out the resonator in the near future to add some volume/more aggressive sound to the system, but I'll need to do a little more research first.

Post a video if you can.
Interested to see how it sounds like.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 08:59 PM   #25
TylerJamesInc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 328i 6MT M-Sport Slicktop

I recently cut open my muffler and re-worked the routing to somewhat emulate the PE muffler.
I understand this isn't feasible for everyone, but it sounds REALLY good. I plan on taking out the res still, because it isn't loud enough for me or my wife.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 10:18 PM   #26
Larrye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010bmwe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumptuous Hummus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
Assuming it is still available, you can't go wrong with the OEM BMW Performance Exhaust system. It fits, it sounds great, and after being on my car 5 years in Maine looks just like it did the day I put it on. Expensive, but you get what you pay for.
$1000 for a couple horsepower, deletes your factory resonator which is an excellent design, and doesn't even remove your secondary cats which will easily yield better gains alone then the whole PE exhaust.

Now replacing your secondary cats with two resonators along with the PE exhaust would be one of the best 328i sounds period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumptuous Hummus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
Assuming it is still available, you can't go wrong with the OEM BMW Performance Exhaust system. It fits, it sounds great, and after being on my car 5 years in Maine looks just like it did the day I put it on. Expensive, but you get what you pay for.
$1000 for a couple horsepower, deletes your factory resonator which is an excellent design, and doesn't even remove your secondary cats which will easily yield better gains alone then the whole PE exhaust.

Now replacing your secondary cats with two resonators along with the PE exhaust would be one of the best 328i sounds period.
Please explain more on replacing the second cats with resonators. What kind of resonators would I need to get for that . I really want to do something like that for my PE
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 11:04 PM   #27
Larrye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010bmwe90

My video of my PE in a 328i hope it helps some one
Appreciate 0