E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 oem oil for high mileage?

08-17-2018, 02:27 AM   #23
r4dr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: various BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
I read somewhere that it is proving not to be good in extended use as it leads to accelerated cat failure due to high content of sulphur (?) or some other chemical, I don't recall accurately. I stopped using it.
If this were true, it wouldn't be available to use in any remotely modern engine, gas or diesel.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:18 AM   #24
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4dr View Post
If this were true, it wouldn't be available to use in any remotely modern engine, gas or diesel.
Agreed...if you're burning that much oil to begin with, you'd have bigger concerns than just the life expectancy of your cats.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 06:45 AM   #25
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrque View Post
I did use it previously, but that oil is no longer BMW LL certified ?? They changed the composition also I read ... The only equivalent I found at Walmart for 25 bucks was Castrol 0w-40, which is BMW LL01 or something... I used that one for now
So I did my first oil change yesterday with Castrol 0w40. I’ve changed a lot of oil in a lot of different cars over the years and I’ve got to say this one is possibly the worst set up I’ve personally experienced. First the oil launches itself from the drain plug on a parabolic trajectory about 2.5 feet towards the passenger side of the car. Next when you take off the filter cap it spills dirty oil all down the side of the housing and the alternator. Finally...you have to either ruin a shop towel soaking up old oil in the housing...or use half a roll of paper towels and risk leaving some paper behind in the system.

I just asked my self so many times yesterday...WTH were the bmw engineers thinking???

On another note...I was shocked at how dirty the oil was. Car has 91k miles...last changed at 86k...is this normal???
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 07:29 PM   #26
07Coupe335
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
So I did my first oil change yesterday with Castrol 0w40. I’ve changed a lot of oil in a lot of different cars over the years and I’ve got to say this one is possibly the worst set up I’ve personally experienced. First the oil launches itself from the drain plug on a parabolic trajectory about 2.5 feet towards the passenger side of the car. Next when you take off the filter cap it spills dirty oil all down the side of the housing and the alternator. Finally...you have to either ruin a shop towel soaking up old oil in the housing...or use half a roll of paper towels and risk leaving some paper behind in the system.

I just asked my self so many times yesterday...WTH were the bmw engineers thinking???

On another note...I was shocked at how dirty the oil was. Car has 91k miles...last changed at 86k...is this normal???
Really? I've changed the oil/filter several times and it's a fairly clean process. Much better than my kids 07 Rabbit or my '12 F150 which drips from the front for days afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 09:48 PM   #27
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Coupe335 View Post
Really? I've changed the oil/filter several times and it's a fairly clean process. Much better than my kids 07 Rabbit or my '12 F150 which drips from the front for days afterwards.
For the VW you probably doing it incorrectly. I have owned 5 VW and never had an issue. Isn't messy at since you are able to drain the oil filter cap first.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 06:15 AM   #28
07Coupe335
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
For the VW you probably doing it incorrectly. I have owned 5 VW and never had an issue. Isn't messy at since you are able to drain the oil filter cap first.
Yup. Do that. Another marvel of VW engineering.
Appreciate 0