E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > e90 iDrive retrofit in Colorado?

02-07-2017, 07:46 PM   #23
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
My understanding of the CIC retrofit is that the CIC can't be programmed in the car. The factory cars have Ethernet wiring from the diagnostic port to the CIC that's used for programming. Without that, it won't work. The retrofit guys I know can flash them on the bench but not in the car. I'm not sure if I can do it successfully or not but I can ask someone I know about it. With any luck the CIC you get will already be up to date and programming won't be needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 08:33 PM   #24
trjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92, F10, F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
My understanding of the CIC retrofit is that the CIC can't be programmed in the car. The factory cars have Ethernet wiring from the diagnostic port to the CIC that's used for programming. Without that, it won't work. The retrofit guys I know can flash them on the bench but not in the car. I'm not sure if I can do it successfully or not but I can ask someone I know about it. With any luck the CIC you get will already be up to date and programming won't be needed.
Sorry. I think by jumping in this thread I made it confusing. I have factory cic in my car. I just want to retrofit combox to it, but my cic software is too old even to update the maps. My cic is Still on original software from 2009 I believe. Does the cic still need to come out of the car for updating when it was installed from the factory? I might want to update all the softwares in the car, transmission and all. Murray BMW says they won't do it unless there is a problem. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 09:37 PM   #25
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trjn View Post
Quote:
Sorry. I think by jumping in this thread I made it confusing. I have factory cic in my car. I just want to retrofit combox to it, but my cic software is too old even to update the maps. My cic is Still on original software from 2009 I believe. Does the cic still need to come out of the car for updating when it was installed from the factory? I might want to update all the softwares in the car, transmission and all. Murray BMW says they won't do it unless there is a problem. Lol.
Ah ok. That's no problem at all. If your car is an '09 you'll need to load the maps via DVD. The USB stick with the latest maps is not supported. Mine is an '09 as well so I'm stuck in the same boat. Combox retrofit shouldn't be a problem though. I may even have one laying around I can sell you, if you need one.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 11:59 PM   #26
trjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ah ok. That's no problem at all. If your car is an '09 you'll need to load the maps via DVD. The USB stick with the latest maps is not supported. Mine is an '09 as well so I'm stuck in the same boat. Combox retrofit shouldn't be a problem though. I may even have one laying around I can sell you, if you need one.
From what I read 09 car maps can be updated via glovebox USB port if you have updated the cic software. The little circle with a tick mark on the cic screen means USB update possible. Mine doesn't not. I already have the maps on dvds, but the cable I bought to generate the fsc code for maps didn't work so will need to buy another one.
However, for combox retrofit I will be needing different fsc code. That's what I would need along with the software update to my cic. Let me know if I am wrong or have contact of someone who can do the update locally.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 05:31 AM   #27
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

Quote:
this is not actual for E-Series Headunits, only for F-Series
E-Series headunit programmed over DCAN bus, or in a much faster way via MOST bus
      02-08-2017, 07:24 AM   #28
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
this is not actual for E-Series Headunits, only for F-Series
E-Series headunit programmed over DCAN bus, or in a much faster way via MOST bus
E series CIC cars use Ethernet as well, I'm positive about that. For programming and map data loading via ISTA/P. You an always try to program a retrofit CIC in a CCC factory equipped vehicle via the OBD and MOST, but it's not going to happen. It will either brick it 2 minutes in or it won't program it at all, leaving it operational after failed programming. Trust me, I've tried it just to see what happens. The F series varies on Ethernet usage by model. Some are just Ethernet to the gateway module and the CIC/NBT and newer models have additional usage and G has even more. Ethernet is ~10x the speed of most.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 07:29 AM   #29
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

I'd skip CIC and install NBT (from F30)

Much better system and also a much simpler installation.
      02-08-2017, 11:15 AM   #30
trjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post

I already have CIC from factory. I am just trying to install combox and to do that I will need to update CIC software. Looking for directions/person who can do it locally in Colorado. Dealer is not being very helpful to provide me the updates.

I am planning on getting an f10 soon, so upgrade to NBT in this e92 would be too much work to put in for a year or two.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 12:12 PM   #31
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Quote:
I already have CIC from factory. I am just trying to install combox and to do that I will need to update CIC software. Looking for directions/person who can do it locally in Colorado. Dealer is not being very helpful to provide me the updates.

I am planning on getting an f10 soon, so upgrade to NBT in this e92 would be too much work to put in for a year or two.
If you want the dealer to update it, you'd have to go in there and complain about an actual problem with the radio. Then they'll do it

Make something up lol
      02-08-2017, 01:27 PM   #32
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post

I can get you set up for that if you want. Shoot me a PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 05:48 PM   #33
Hobbs64
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

MileHigh,

Do you have the parts to sell? I ask because you mention the combox. I have nothing but the dash at this point to go into an 08.

Coz
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 08:43 PM   #34
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs64 View Post
MileHigh,

Do you have the parts to sell? I ask because you mention the combox. I have nothing but the dash at this point to go into an 08.

Coz
I did offer it to someone else, but if that person does not need it I defiantly don't need a second one. Onc upon a time I did, but that's no longer the case. Looks like the going rate is around 300-350, give or take. Let me know if that works.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 08:35 AM   #35
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
E series CIC cars use Ethernet as well, I'm positive about that. For programming and map data loading via ISTA/P. You an always try to program a retrofit CIC in a CCC factory equipped vehicle via the OBD and MOST, but it's not going to happen. It will either brick it 2 minutes in or it won't program it at all, leaving it operational after failed programming. Trust me, I've tried it just to see what happens. The F series varies on Ethernet usage by model. Some are just Ethernet to the gateway module and the CIC/NBT and newer models have additional usage and G has even more. Ethernet is ~10x the speed of most.
you cannot program(update) E-series CIC via ethernet because software used to do so do not have Ethernet layer in EDIABAS configured
      02-14-2017, 10:26 PM   #36
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
Quote:
you cannot program(update) E-series CIC via ethernet because software used to do so do not have Ethernet layer in EDIABAS configured
Works just fine with an ICOM
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 09:19 AM   #37
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

it is programmed using dcan via icom
      04-29-2017, 01:41 PM   #38
TheeGovernor
Life is better with burnouts
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Fyi I completed my swap (without combox). If anyone needs help or has questions let me know.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #39
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic Metallic E90 335i

There is a very good write up out there by user booster4075. His write up is what I used for the retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 02:49 PM   #40
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic Metallic E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs64 View Post
MileHigh,

Coz
I was considering swapping out my cic to the nbt... if I go that route I will be posting my entire setup for sale
Appreciate 0