E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Bank 2 AFR Locked at 30

11-26-2021, 07:46 PM   #1
syntax
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Bank 2 AFR Locked at 30

My friends 08 335xi bone stock and untuned does have a bank 2 precat (bank 2 sensor 1) code but im not sure if this is the reason his AFR on bank 2 is always 30. The car from a complete cold start instantly has an AFR of 30 on bank 2. I also noticed his STFT's on Bank 2 are always at 0 and never change, signaling O2 sensor issue, but I thought these cars stay open loop with AFRs until the O2s heat up which is roughly 30 seconds after a cold start before they rely on O2's for calculating AFR's. Last week i changed his cylinder 4 injector because of a misfire code which has returned and his valve cover gasket and plugs were also changed. He does have the same coils though. Can a precat o2 sensor cause a locked AFR at 30 (Holy shit) from a dead cold start? His AFR is always 30 whether he drives, at different speeds, or is idling or does a cold start. Im guessing O2 sensor or stuck injector, but I doubt its an injector because he said it didnt misfire bad on the cold start. The events are contradicting here between the way stuck injectors usually misfire from excess fuel and how these cars wait to heat up for O2 AFRs. Here is a log.

Log Info: Log begins right before car is started. Log lasts roughly 60 seconds only idling. Car hasnt been started in a week, temps are 32 degrees F outside (freezing point).
https://datazap.me/u/loganslow/cold-...og=0&data=3-21
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 08:14 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax View Post
My friends 08 335xi bone stock and untuned does have a bank 2 precat (bank 2 sensor 1) code but im not sure if this is the reason his AFR on bank 2 is always 30. The car from a complete cold start instantly has an AFR of 30 on bank 2. I also noticed his STFT's on Bank 2 are always at 0 and never change, signaling O2 sensor issue, but I thought these cars stay open loop with AFRs until the O2s heat up which is roughly 30 seconds after a cold start before they rely on O2's for calculating AFR's. Last week i changed his cylinder 4 injector because of a misfire code which has returned and his valve cover gasket and plugs were also changed. He does have the same coils though. Can a precat o2 sensor cause a locked AFR at 30 (Holy shit) from a dead cold start? His AFR is always 30 whether he drives, at different speeds, or is idling or does a cold start. Im guessing O2 sensor or stuck injector, but I doubt its an injector because he said it didnt misfire bad on the cold start. The events are contradicting here between the way stuck injectors usually misfire from excess fuel and how these cars wait to heat up for O2 AFRs. Here is a log.

Log Info: Log begins right before car is started. Log lasts roughly 60 seconds only idling. Car hasnt been started in a week, temps are 32 degrees F outside (freezing point).
https://datazap.me/u/loganslow/cold-...&data=3-21
AFR should never go over 15.

Did you use INPA so see what the voltage looked like on the pre & post cat O2 sensors?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 12:49 PM   #3
langsbr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

My car did this same thing. I thought it was a bad o2 sensor as mine would read fine for a while, then go to 30:1.

Do you know the history of the car? you said untuned and unmodded - but had it ever been modded before?

After many frustrating steps troubleshooting, I found that one of the pins on the DME was pushed in slightly - enough to not make permanent connectivity to one of the O2 sensor pins. I was able to pull that pin out with some needle nose pliers and haven't had an issue since.

If everything checks out wiring wise, I'd suspect just a bad/dead/old sensor.
Appreciate 0