E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Smoke on de-acceleration after recent engine swap

11-22-2021, 04:24 PM   #1
Ryanluke27
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i 2007

Exclamation Smoke on de-acceleration after recent engine swap

Hi, I've recently had a new engine put into my 335i the turbos have covered 17k and turbo seals have been replaced during the swap.

70 miles later I'm still experiencing smoke on de-acceleration once the car is warm. I've got the car back to the garage which done the work but I feel something dodgy is going on.

They are telling me its the valve stem seals and want to charge me £2400!!

Could it be down to them wrongly installing the turbo seals and using this as a cover up?

Apparently the PVC system is all operating correctly.
When they replaced the turbos they said they was in very good condition with 0 play. Which really only leaves the valve stem seals? But I was lead to believe this would make my car smoke from cold which it doesn't.

ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED PLEASE

Many Thanks, Ryan
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 04:52 PM   #2
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I'd find the valve stem seals to be unlikely, not impossible though. Ask them for what proof they have of leaking valve stems. I'd imagine they'd need to pull the turbos to confirm, so unless they have any photos to back this up, I call BS. They should have seen this the moment they put the turbos on the new engine anyway.

You say they did turbo seals with the swap, how did they do this? The turbo seals are not easily replaced, that would require a total turbo rebuild.
      11-22-2021, 07:10 PM   #3
Ryanluke27
Rep

Hi, thanks for the reply. To be honest I don't have any proof of the seals being done its just them telling me, But to be honest if my turbos have only covered 17k would they realistically be worn?

From what I've read online it doesn't realistically sound like its the valve stem seals. But what else could it be?

Do you think I should pull it from this garage & get a 2nd opinion? Because I don't really know what else to do.

Many Thanks,
Ryan
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 02:10 PM   #4
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

How old is your valve cover?

Do you have a metal BMS or RM PCV Valve?

Do you have a new oem flapper valve?

If not......start there.
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 11:39 PM   #5
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanluke27 View Post
Hi, I've recently had a new engine put into my 335i the turbos have covered 17k and turbo seals have been replaced during the swap.

70 miles later I'm still experiencing smoke on de-acceleration once the car is warm. I've got the car back to the garage which done the work but I feel something dodgy is going on.

Could it be down to them wrongly installing the turbo seals and using this as a cover up?

When they replaced the turbos they said they was in very good condition with 0 play. Which really only leaves the valve stem seals? But I was lead to believe this would make my car smoke from cold which it doesn't.

Many Thanks, Ryan
Are the turbos OEM, after mkt or Chinese/ EBay specials. 17k on turbos with suspect quality turbos that's been driven hard could equal bad turbos.

Make sure you have upgraded your PCV valve, replaced your crank case hose/ valve & installed a BMS catch can.

If it still produces smoke on Decel after doing the above, it's the turbos.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 06:58 PM   #6
Ryanluke27
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
How old is your valve cover?

Do you have a metal BMS or RM PCV Valve?

Do you have a new oem flapper valve?

If not......start there.
Hi mate, Thanks for the message.

To be honest I got the engine from a breaker on 72k miles. So presuming that's how old the valve cover is.

What is the OEM flapper valve?

Ill drop my car to another garage and get them to replace these parts. Just puzzling me because the previous garage told me the breather system was 100%.

Thanks, Ryan

Last edited by Ryanluke27; 11-27-2021 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: edit
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 07:01 PM   #7
Ryanluke27
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Are the turbos OEM, after mkt or Chinese/ EBay specials. 17k on turbos with suspect quality turbos that's been driven hard could equal bad turbos.

Make sure you have upgraded your PCV valve, replaced your crank case hose/ valve & installed a BMS catch can.

If it still produces smoke on Decel after doing the above, it's the turbos.
Hi mate, these are OEM turbos which have been refurbished. They have only covered 17k and to be honest have been driven hard at all. But the garage said they looked brand new with 0 oil.

Ill go ahead with the bits you guys have mentioned and see if this makes any difference.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 10:22 PM   #8
Armyflyguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanluke27 View Post

Many Thanks, Ryan
Is the smoke dark grey/black, or is it white? I just posted about what I believe most people are actually having happen if it's white smoke....not smoke at all but rather condensation steaming off.

If it's dark grey/black smoke...then you've got other issues

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=28301405
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 07:13 AM   #9
Ryanluke27
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyflyguy View Post
Is the smoke dark grey/black, or is it white? I just posted about what I believe most people are actually having happen if it's white smoke....not smoke at all but rather condensation steaming off.

If it's dark grey/black smoke...then you've got other issues

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=28301405
Hi! Thanks for your story, it’s defiantly the smell of oil and colour of oil burning, and it’s plumes of smoke normally between 20-30mph coming to a standstill when it covers the car 😳! It’s becoming so stressful as I was hoping the car would be sweet after the engine swap but still left in a right pickle!

Thanks,
Ryan
Appreciate 0