E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > HPFP failure causes the car to stall while moving?

08-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
HPFP failure causes the car to stall while moving?

Ive read all about most of the hpfp stuff. I have no symptoms or anything but I just read two stories where the hpfp failed while driving and the car just stops on the highway? 60+ mph and the car could just stall with not even enough power to get to the side of the road?

How has this not caused serious accidents with all the failures? Having so many failures is bad enough, but I wasnt concerned until I saw that the car can fail while on a highway. Ill be going on a trip later and now im worried. If the hpfp failed while driving and that caused the car behind to hit into the back, who would be at fault?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Finally here

mine happend during stop and go situation so, "luckily"..if u can call it that, i just pulled it off the road, even though i had to restart the car, and still barely made it off... horrifying experience cuz i can't imagine what if it just happens on the highway :/ now i dont even feel confortable taking it on the highway not knowing if it will happen again..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
TigerDejan
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i Coupe

how do u notice when your HPFP is bout to crash ? any symptoms ?
      08-30-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Finally here

not really any sympton on mine. i know for some, long cranks is a start. who knows, will try to get it checked out.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
ianthegreat
Colonel
Rep
Drives: n54

you shouldnt be driving if you cant pull over coasting at 60mph

but I agree - scary
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianthegreat View Post

but I agree - scary
lol, I could pull over fine. Its the other drivers going 70-80 that might not notice me losing all power instantly. It would be like slamming on the brakes out of nowhere. Most moron drivers arent ready for that.

Luckily, I haven't heard of any hpfp related highway accidents and hopefully I never will. If bmw knows about this problem which they do, and they know that it could cause the car to stall on the highway and someone is hurt because of it, I wonder how much trouble they are going to be in.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 09:29 PM   #7
Drakos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G42 M240i

Unfortunately that is what it's going to take. Someone is going to die or be seriously hurt as a result of a HPFP failure before BMW wakes up. This is a really pathetic situation really.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 12:18 AM   #8
dragazn
Major
Rep
Drives: i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.76]
Mine die on the highway, and the dealer did not do anything beside from checking the car out for three days. Also call BMW USA and they said that they will look into it, and assure me that the if the dealer release the car to me b/c they have check everything they could. The dealer didn't do anything b/c they can't dup;icate the problem. I'm just waitting for the time bomb to blown and get rear ended, if it happens BMW USA will hear from my lawyer soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I understand that random problems can happen to any car. But a problem as widespread as faulty hpfps, that bmw is well aware of, which could cause a serious accident should be fixed. BMW should not be permitted to allow a known problem to persist if a serious life threatening injury could happen.

A faulty pump is annoying and I wasnt really worried about it, but a faulty pump that shuts down the car on the highway is a needless death waiting to happen.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
J.P.
Close to bein Bannned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pussy Magnet

mine stalled on a major highway, I thought I had a flat tire and put the clutch in to down shift and move over to the shoulder and the car stalled power steering locked up, etc. good thing it was at 3am when there was no one on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexye92 View Post
JERRYS MOM= BEST HEAD OF MY LIFE
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 11:32 AM   #11
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianthegreat View Post

but I agree - scary
I don't know what the freeways are like where you're from, but if you've ever been on the Dan Ryan or the others out here, you'd know that it's more difficult than it would seem, with all the traffic, a million lanes wide, merges in from the left and right, and the fact that no one around here would give a shit that you needed to get over.... And, yeah.... I can see how someone would end up assed out in the middle of the freeway, which is a recipe for absolute disaster.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #12
woody2223
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 black sapphire coupe JB+

Garage List
2007 335i coupe  [0.00]
Right before my second pump went out I was chasing down a 550i and I got cut power on the highway then figured I should pull off and turn the car off for a few seconds. Right when I put my blinker on I couldn't keep the RPMs up and it stalled, luckily I was close to the exit so I was able to coast down the offrAmp to safety.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #13
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Im actually scared to go on long road trips. I dont want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere. This hpfp situation is ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 08:20 AM   #14
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

symptoms possible long crank, reduced performance, reduced gas mileage.

nothing like merging onto a heavily congested highway expecting a certain level of performance to fit inbetween two cars only to loose everything at the last second.
recipe for disaster. I too am surprised we havent heard about any accidents,deaths regarding this faulty pump or pump related problem.

It's been at least 2007 that i was aware of this faulty design (pump or electronics around the pump) and it's yet to be resolved. somebody explain to me... er justify to me why a massive company such as bmw, with the pump on many different models now & with 3 years under their belt cant resolve it.

/me notes penny pinchers probably say its easier to pay a lawsuit then replace all the pumps/design.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #15
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
After a pump failure, is the car drivable? I know that it goes into limp mode. But will the car drive say back to my house or to safety?

Or does the pump failure disable the car completely?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #16
WilliamE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 EB F30 335 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
After a pump failure, is the car drivable? I know that it goes into limp mode. But will the car drive say back to my house or to safety?

Or does the pump failure disable the car completely?

Some people go into limp mode and can get home, some people's just die altogether.

Its a crapshoot really
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #17
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamE92 View Post
Some people go into limp mode and can get home, some people's just die altogether.

Its a crapshoot really
Really? I thought that you were still able to drive in limp. Grrhhh!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #18
WilliamE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 EB F30 335 MT

Quote:
Really? I thought that you were still able to drive in limp. Grrhhh!
You can, but the car runs very poorly and your power is limited.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 06:03 PM   #19
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamE92 View Post
You can, but the car runs very poorly and your power is limited.
As long as I can get to safety and am not stranded on some random road then im happy. Makes me feel better at least knowing that I could get home on limp.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 08:50 PM   #20
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Waterfall Vert

Quote:
lol, I could pull over fine. Its the other drivers going 70-80 that might not notice me losing all power instantly. It would be like slamming on the brakes out of nowhere. Most moron drivers arent ready for that.

Luckily, I haven't heard of any hpfp related highway accidents and hopefully I never will. If bmw knows about this problem which they do, and they know that it could cause the car to stall on the highway and someone is hurt because of it, I wonder how much trouble they are going to be in.
BMW would have to really care about something more than the cost of a recall, we can all hope that no one is seriously hurt because of the hpfp FAIL issue
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 10:07 PM   #21
neo_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

Have you not ever pushed in the clutch and put your car in neutral? Your car coasts and decelerates very slowly. Stop over thinking things. You might as well start worrying about getting hit by lightening too.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #22
FJc335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: platinum bronze e92

I drove to Orlando from NJ last year when my car only had 6k miles on it. I now have 10k miles on it and going to Orlando again. Now i wonder if i should just use my other car. Always worried about the rft - getting stuck in the middle of nowhere and no bmw dealership and now this hpfp prblem....
Is it only on the 2007's ? Has the problm been fixed with the new models ?

Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me?
Appreciate 0