E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Stett CAI DIY or Install? Arrived today without install guide

09-25-2009, 12:25 AM   #1
JRam
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT AW/FR

Stett CAI DIY or Install? Arrived today without install guide

Allright i know everyones going to tell me to search which i did and i was unable to find a detailed DIY. I read former_boosted_IS review of the charge pipe and CAI which was very helpful, yet not quite a step by step. I got the intake in today after waiting like six weeks for it and it shows up with no instructions of any kind in the box. Please help if you can i want to get this thing installed and tomorrow (today now technically) is my only day off!!!! As pissed as I am at Stett for taking so long this thing is so pretty. Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 05:27 AM   #2
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRam View Post
Allright i know everyones going to tell me to search which i did and i was unable to find a detailed DIY. I read former_boosted_IS review of the charge pipe and CAI which was very helpful, yet not quite a step by step. I got the intake in today after waiting like six weeks for it and it shows up with no instructions of any kind in the box. Please help if you can i want to get this thing installed and tomorrow (today now technically) is my only day off!!!! As pissed as I am at Stett for taking so long this thing is so pretty. Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Jeff, that DIY is thorough. Is there any part in particular that I can help on?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
Darkcyd_Turbo
"Booty Hole Bandit"
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego E92 335xi

Quote:

Jeff
Hey bro, just call him! Chad will email you the pdf file if he's got it, which I think he should. When I ordered my charge pipe, I asked if he could email me the install instructions so I knew what I was getting into prior to me even getting it yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GTR Black Edition

FBIS's Stett charge pipe and cold air intake threads are very thorough as far as instructions go. My stuff arrives today....and i'll definitely be referring to those threads during the install this weekend. thanks again FBIS...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by import36 View Post
FBIS's Stett charge pipe and cold air intake threads are very thorough as far as instructions go. My stuff arrives today....and i'll definitely be referring to those threads during the install this weekend. thanks again FBIS...
You bet.

I have two more reviews coming soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
JRam
Private
Rep

Thanks for the responses fellas. Former Boosted your review is definately thorough and very helpful. I would still like the original directions though. I think it just outlays it more as far as the removal of the airbox and relocation of the lines. Does anyone have his email so i can e-mail him becasue i want to get this done today? I did the contact us thing through the stett site but no results yet. Thanks guys! Also how long should i set aside for this install, and also, why is the relocation of the lines simply cosmetic? i've heard of some people doing it and some not whats the benefit? Thanks very much guys.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
OnTilt75
Banned
Rep
Drives: Evo 8, B5 S4, 335i, VW Corrado

Quote:
Originally Posted by import36 View Post
The charge pipe when installing it on your own for the first time is a BITCH!!! EVERY piece for the most part is a TIGHT fit to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the responses fellas. Former Boosted your review is definately thorough and very helpful. I would still like the original directions though. I think it just outlays it more as far as the removal of the airbox and relocation of the lines. Does anyone have his email so i can e-mail him becasue i want to get this done today? I did the contact us thing through the stett site but no results yet. Thanks guys! Also how long should i set aside for this install, and also, why is the relocation of the lines simply cosmetic? i've heard of some people doing it and some not whats the benefit? Thanks very much guys.
I didn't do the relocation of the lines to be honest. I may someday, but wasn't ready just yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #9
JRam
Private
Rep

Yea i didnt get the charge pipe just the CAI. Its pretty frustrating though. I kept getting the run around on when it was even going to be shipped, and finally when it does get here i cant install it. I guess it will have to wait till next friday. I called stett twenty times left a message e-mailed them, did the contact us thing on their site, and still nothing. Definatly going with the Helix intercooler now this made the decision pretty easy.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
Darkcyd_Turbo
"Booty Hole Bandit"
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego E92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTilt75 View Post
The charge pipe when installing it on your own for the first time is a BITCH!!! EVERY piece for the most part is a TIGHT fit to say the least.
First time took me an hour! lol

After that, 20-25 min...I just didn't want to F anything up the first time around.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #11
STETT Performance
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: FAST

Hi Jeff,

Sorry for the late response, thanks to the city worker of the month who cut our Fios line at the end of the street we have been phone and internetless all day. Nevertheless, here is the link for you.

http://stettperformance.com/install/...n%20Manual.pdf

If you have any questions please feel free to email or call, we should be fully restored by tomorrow.

Quote:

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #12
STETT Performance
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: FAST

Quote:
Yea i didnt get the charge pipe just the CAI. Its pretty frustrating though. I kept getting the run around on when it was even going to be shipped, and finally when it does get here i cant install it. I guess it will have to wait till next friday. I called stett twenty times left a message e-mailed them, did the contact us thing on their site, and still nothing. Definatly going with the Helix intercooler now this made the decision pretty easy.
Please see our previous response, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #13
mwscircle
Banned
Rep
Drives: e90, e30, 993, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by STETT Performance View Post
Please see our previous response, thank you.
chad is the bomb!!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 10:08 PM   #14
JRam
Private
Rep

WOW Pretty sure they sent me the wrong piece. Boosted IS how long ago did you order yours? I got three pipe pieces in mine, and i think the main piece which goes into the intakes of the turbos is way too long and it doesnt have a taper like it shows in your pics. And then you have one pipe which drops the filter down into the fender well. I have two. I dont know what is going on but im beyond frustraded and if i have the wrong piece im going to be pissed. how far do the pipes go into the intake runners? the only way mine would fit is if they went in 3 or so inches on each side. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 02:56 AM   #15
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
WOW Pretty sure they sent me the wrong piece. Boosted IS how long ago did you order yours? I got three pipe pieces in mine, and i think the main piece which goes into the intakes of the turbos is way too long and it doesnt have a taper like it shows in your pics. And then you have one pipe which drops the filter down into the fender well. I have two. I dont know what is going on but im beyond frustraded and if i have the wrong piece im going to be pissed. how far do the pipes go into the intake runners? the only way mine would fit is if they went in 3 or so inches on each side. What do you guys think?
Didn't you say you ordered the charge pipe too? One of those is the intake piping that runs into the fender and the other is the charge pipe that from the intercooler piping to the TB. That charge pipe should be a 90 degree bend pipe and the intake pipe should be more "S" shaped.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 09:30 AM   #16
JRam
Private
Rep

F*ing FIOS. A. I work for cablevision so now im double pissed. and B. I compared the intake y pipe, to the stock airbox piece and the intake runners are clearly much longer, and for some reason are not tapered like i see in the other pics. I took a pic but it wont upload it to the site it keeps saying failed which is almost equall as annoying. Boosted I'd like to e-mail it to you and see what you think. I'm extremely perplexed and feel like a huge mental midget. I e-mailed the picture to stett so im hoping for a response real soon. I appreciate the response i understand things happen its just frustrating for me. I was hoping it would just miraculously be installed when i woke up today but its still sitting in pieces.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #17
JRam
Private
Rep

Allright hopefully this works. Check it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 09:47 AM   #18
JRam
Private
Rep

Sorry. This looks like it worked if not i give up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #19
JRam
Private
Rep

Nice. Allright so what do you guys think? Is it the right piece or no good? Notice theres no taper on the intake Y-pipe, and it looks long as hell. Unless those runners slide in about three inches into each of the intake pipes, its not gonna fit.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 09:58 AM   #20
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Nice. Allright so what do you guys think? Is it the right piece or no good? Notice theres no taper on the intake Y-pipe, and it looks long as hell. Unless those runners slide in about three inches into each of the intake pipes, its not gonna fit.
That looks about right...and yes the tapered parts go into the intake piping...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #21
JRam
Private
Rep

what im saying is.......there are no tapered parts. Mine is just straight. every other pic ive seen its been tapered.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #22
nkw512
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335i Coupe

looks really odd to me, y pipe looks way too long to fit. Did you try to see if it fits?
Appreciate 0