E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > E92 M3 Kombi (cluster) EEPROM coding

03-22-2019, 02:21 PM   #45
Schmidty335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i PS2 turbo FBO JB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Why don't you just try changing the byte 2d7 to 00?

It's not a line. It's a byte...

Go down to line 2D0 and count 7 bytes along...
i can give that a shot but i still cant change the first two lines from FF's to 00's or anything else besides FF.

i will continue trying to get this one to work but i also just purchased another M3 cluster that is LCI. the one i have been trouble shooting was from 2008, the new one i ordered is a 2011 model. i will end up putting 2011 in since my car is a 2012. i perfer the newer digital display compared to the pre-lci one.

with the old cluster if i can get it completly virginized and good to go to install in a car to be coded, i will put it up for sale in the ad section. thanks again for all of the help.

i will update how everything goes with my old cluster when the new eeproms come in and also the install of my new cluster when it gets here.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 02:55 PM   #46
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty335i View Post
Quote:
Why don't you just try changing the byte 2d7 to 00?

It's not a line. It's a byte...

Go down to line 2D0 and count 7 bytes along...
i can give that a shot but i still cant change the first two lines from FF's to 00's or anything else besides FF.

i will continue trying to get this one to work but i also just purchased another M3 cluster that is LCI. the one i have been trouble shooting was from 2008, the new one i ordered is a 2011 model. i will end up putting 2011 in since my car is a 2012. i perfer the newer digital display compared to the pre-lci one.

with the old cluster if i can get it completly virginized and good to go to install in a car to be coded, i will put it up for sale in the ad section. thanks again for all of the help.

i will update how everything goes with my old cluster when the new eeproms come in and also the install of my new cluster when it gets here.
I realise that but what I'm saying is that I've never seen the first 2 lines FF before. There's a chance that the cluster just reads it as blank and resets the mileage. It shows 999,999mls as that's often what factory clusters come in to allow some mileage before it ticks over to zero.

If this is the case, changing 2D7 will make it actually 0.

Once you've changed it, test the cluster. If it still shows 999,999 then yes, you'll need to either buy an r270 or use your new eeprom...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 03:13 PM   #47
Schmidty335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I realise that but what I'm saying is that I've never seen the first 2 lines FF before. There's a chance that the cluster just reads it as blank and resets the mileage. It shows 999,999mls as that's often what factory clusters come in to allow some mileage before it ticks over to zero.

Once you've changed it, test the cluster. If it still shows 999,999 then yes, you'll need to either buy an r270 or use your new eeprom...
ohhhhh!!! ok sounds good i will give that a shot and see what it does, i am still at work but once i get home i will give that a shot and update here with the results. i cant express how much i apperciate you taking the time to help out with this. i am new to coding eeproms and BMWs in general but i have a strong electrical background (iam a avionics electrician with micro mini repair as my main occupation) thanks for helping and explaining all of the coding side of everything to me!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:57 PM   #48
Schmidty335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

ok i changed the 2D7 to 00 and it still says 999,999 miles with a tamper dot so i didnt code it to my car with ncs expert. everything works tach, mph, gas, temp gauge i am just getting the original error plus the 999,999 miles with a tamper dot now lol. i bet that FF for the first two lines is not a valid parameter for the car to read or write to perhaps? i even drove it 4 miles to see if it would roll over but it just stayed at 999,999 miles.

so the cluster is usable just annoying right now with the error. i will wait for my new eeproms and 00 out the first two lines then try again. i will probably get my other cluster i ordered before i get the new eeproms for my current cluster since they are shipping from china. thanks again. ill be back in a week or so with new updates.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 03:08 AM   #49
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

ok i changed the 2D7 to 00 and it still says 999,999 miles with a tamper dot so i didnt code it to my car with ncs expert. everything works tach, mph, gas, temp gauge i am just getting the original error plus the 999,999 miles with a tamper dot now lol. i bet that FF for the first two lines is not a valid parameter for the car to read or write to perhaps? i even drove it 4 miles to see if it would roll over but it just stayed at 999,999 miles.

so the cluster is usable just annoying right now with the error. i will wait for my new eeproms and 00 out the first two lines then try again. i will probably get my other cluster i ordered before i get the new eeproms for my current cluster since they are shipping from china. thanks again. ill be back in a week or so with new updates.
Ok. Yes FF for mileage is obviously not valid.

But Hang on.

You are testing it in your car??? You should always test it out of the car with a 12v supply.

The cluster should read the cars mileage even with a tamper dot? When you coded the car originally was the cluster mileage FF???

Just to check, plug the original cluster in to make sure your mileage is not 999,999!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 03:16 AM   #50
Schmidty335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

But Hang on.

You are testing it in your car??? You should always test it out of the car with a 12v supply.

The cluster should read the cars mileage even with a tamper dot? When you coded the car originally was the cluster mileage FF???

Just to check, plug the original cluster in to make sure your mileage is not 999,999!
yes i did test it in my car but lucky for me it didnt keep the 999,999 miles. when i put my original cluster back in it went to the normal mileage. guess i dodged a bullet on that one.

when i originally coded the car the mileage was not FF i changed them to that not knowing and it would not revert to anything else. thats when the cluster started showing 999,999 miles.

how do i power up the cluster out side of the car? i tried putting a 12v power supply on pin 9 (positive) and pin 18 (ground) but the needles moved a bit and nothing else happend. wrong pins? or not enough amps (5a)?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 05:25 AM   #51
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

But Hang on.

yes i did test it in my car but lucky for me it didnt keep the 999,999 miles. when i put my original cluster back in it went to the normal mileage. guess i dodged a bullet on that one.

when i originally coded the car the mileage was not FF i changed them to that not knowing and it would not revert to anything else. thats when the cluster started showing 999,999 miles.

how do i power up the cluster out side of the car? i tried putting a 12v power supply on pin 9 (positive) and pin 18 (ground) but the needles moved a bit and nothing else happend. wrong pins? or not enough amps (5a)?
Ah ok. Just checking.

Those are the correct pins. Once connected push the mileage reset button on the cluster and it will light up.

Let us know how you get on with the new eeprom.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #52
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
I understand the satisfaction of doing something yourself and I don't know how much you have invested in this at this point but you could have just bought a virginized M3 cluster for $300-400.
      03-23-2019, 01:45 PM   #53
Schmidty335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
I understand the satisfaction of doing something yourself and I don't know how much you have invested in this at this point but you could have just bought a virginized M3 cluster for $300-400.
Yeah i totally get that, im a DIY type of person though. I do everything to my car be it bodywork, electrical, mechanical etc... Hell i even mount my own tires lol. I feel knowing the insides and outs will save me in the long run. I definitely would have saved myself a ton on this project though if i just bought a virginized cluster lol. Like i have said many times thanks again for all of your help. I'll update once more when i get the rest of this figured out. Now cluster gets here Monday and new eeproms get here April 5th.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 02:26 PM   #54
Schmidty335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah ok. Just checking.

Those are the correct pins. Once connected push the mileage reset button on the cluster and it will light up.

hey! all I had to do was push the mileage button and boom there it lit up. oh yeah also after double checking my coding I saw that the I only zero'd the first part of the 2D7 byte, I just hooked up my cluster and recoded so that the 2D7 is both 00. it was 0C, after powering up (out of car) it still shows 999,999 miles. but has no tamper dot this time. when I first brought it in before coding to test the power out side of the car it showed 999,999 with a tamper dot.

could coding the 2D7 of made it work? after your earlier warning I probably should not install in my car to see what it does right? dodge one bullet on that already haha.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 06:03 PM   #55
Schmidty335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah ok. Just checking.

Thank you so much for all of your help! i got my new LCI M3 cluster in the mail today. i hooked it up to power and it showed it had 39k miles, so i didnt have to worry about the mileage since min was at 51k miles. i wrote the 2E0 to ff's and installed in my car. it had the tamper dot and would not code "faulty vin" hooked back up to my car prog and just manually input my vin. installed in car coded properly. NO WARNINGS AND CRUISE CONTROL WORKS!!!!

thank you for all of your help i didnt know anything about the eeprom and now i feel i have it down pretty well.

more good news, i got in my new eeprom chips for the other pre lci cluster and i read the new eeprom 00 for the first two lines. coded it and it also works!! so now i have two haha. i will keep the lci one since my car is a 2012 and sell the other one now and see if anyone wants to buy a 335i gauge with 51k miles on it. you know if there is even a market for the 335i gauges?

once more thank you EVERYONE! i could not be happier!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 04:51 AM   #56
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ah ok. Just checking.

Thank you so much for all of your help! i got my new LCI M3 cluster in the mail today. i hooked it up to power and it showed it had 39k miles, so i didnt have to worry about the mileage since min was at 51k miles. i wrote the 2E0 to ff's and installed in my car. it had the tamper dot and would not code "faulty vin" hooked back up to my car prog and just manually input my vin. installed in car coded properly. NO WARNINGS AND CRUISE CONTROL WORKS!!!!

thank you for all of your help i didnt know anything about the eeprom and now i feel i have it down pretty well.

more good news, i got in my new eeprom chips for the other pre lci cluster and i read the new eeprom 00 for the first two lines. coded it and it also works!! so now i have two haha. i will keep the lci one since my car is a 2012 and sell the other one now and see if anyone wants to buy a 335i gauge with 51k miles on it. you know if there is even a market for the 335i gauges?

once more thank you EVERYONE! i could not be happier!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 10:36 PM   #57
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan

Link to carprog you used? Orr send me a eeprom I can throw in
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 10:47 AM   #58
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep

Also, anyone know if it matters if cluster is from a auto or mt? Pre lci so I don’t think the auto has the shift lights. I’m auto now but am doing a manual swap soon. And I found a cheap manual one.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 06:08 PM   #59
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac0908 View Post
Also, anyone know if it matters if cluster is from a auto or mt? Pre lci so I don’t think the auto has the shift lights. I’m auto now but am doing a manual swap soon. And I found a cheap manual one.
Doesn't matter. The DCT has the shift lights but they don't work on non M cars. I can virginize it for you if needed.
      10-03-2019, 07:34 PM   #60
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac0908 View Post
Also, anyone know if it matters if cluster is from a auto or mt? Pre lci so I don't think the auto has the shift lights. I'm auto now but am doing a manual swap soon. And I found a cheap manual one.
Doesn't matter. The DCT has the shift lights but they don't work on non M cars. I can virginize it for you if needed.
I wanna do most of the work myself. I love doing it and the pride knowing everything done in my car was by me. I am a fan of paying people for their time and advise tho send me a pm if you can. Do you have any m3 clusters in stock?been trying to find one for cheap
2007 335XI SEDAN // JB4 G5 // BMS METH KIT // VRSF DOWNPIPES // AFE DCI // ER CP W/ TIAL BOV // MMP SILICONE INLETS // XHP STAGE 3 AT FLASH // TREBILA BEF // BMS OCC // VRSF EXHAUST // FUEL-IT STAGE 2 LPFP // VRSF FMIC // PRECISION RACEWORKS IGNITION SYSTEM // CATUNED COILOVERS // CIC AND COMBOX RETROFIT //
Appreciate 0