E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 335xi Was making a creaking noise over bumps

01-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #1
Y2K_MASTER
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

335xi Was making a creaking noise over bumps

Hey guys, I have a pre lci 335xi N54. Back in the summer it was making a creaking noise when you hit bumps, my mechanic changed the passenger side sway bar link and bushings which made it go away. Fast forward to late last month when the weather got really cold, it started doing it again but a lot worse. Basically anything that made the front of the car go up or down (braking, accelerating, hitting bumps) would make it creak a lot louder than before. Now the sound magically disappeared but it's making a whining noise while driving now. It becomes audible when you're going about 20km/h and faster. The volume gets louder if you accelerate/decelerate rapidly, but you can barely hear it if you're driving at a constant speed. it also increases in pitch the faster you go. I've been told it's most likely a shock absorbed has failed internally and if the front struts are replaced the noise will go away.

I put the car on a hoist and accelerated and it does not make the noise.

Was wondering if this makes sense?

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 08:01 AM   #2
Achappell8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi M Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
When I had this happen it was because of the strut mount bearing plate was toast
Appreciate 0