E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine?

12-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #1607
ERANG A LANG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 325i black/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by element_13 View Post
Got my car back this evening. Here are the parts they changed:
1. Torx Bolt
2. Profile-Gasket
3. Rectangring
4. Gasket ring
5. Collar Screw
6. Hydr. Valve Pushrod

I don't know what they are, but I hope they will fix the ticking problem.
same here man, just got my ride back from Brian Jessel, awsome service and they got the job done!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #1608
3me
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6spd mt 325i

Alright tick has come back. The BMW dealership assured me the first time it was a broken exhaust bracket and fixed it and the noise went away, this was also coming into a mississippi summer last year. Now, coming into a colder climate over a year later, it has started back up. From normal use, it seems to go away after several minutes of driving presumably from oil heating/circulating as many say but i still roll down my window and hear this terrible clicking that correlates to my engine's rpms much like the exhaust bracket did. I believe this is the clicking problem because it sounds just like the clicking problems of others on Youtube. Is there any oil that can be used to prevent this or any oil additives? are there any types of gas i should be buying? I drive a stick does this happen primarily in manuals or not so much? Does anyone know anything about exhaust rattles? this is very aggravating and embarrassing. I did not shell out this kind of money for something that sounds like a broken grocery cart.
      12-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #1609
bimmerfan2008
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i sport and premium pa

I had this exact same problem 3 times. The first time I had this problem my car had about 12000 miles on it and the dealer said it was one of the lifters and that it would be no problem to fix it. I had it done and all was good until I hit around 15000 miles and the noise came back. I took it to the dealer amd they said they would replace all of the lifters this time. All was good until I hit 20000 miles and that dreaded noise came back. I took it in and the service advisor finally had it with me going in there with the same problem so she tools me she was going to replace the head and kept my car for a week . I have not had any problems lately although I thought I heard the beginning of that noise again the other day, it could just be me being paranoid. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #1610
integrale4wd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 328I coupe

I know its 32 degree's in ny and I had my cylinder head replaced almost a couple of years ago. Well its ticking again. Has anyone had this problem even after it has been replaced?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 08:13 AM   #1611
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by integrale4wd View Post

I know its 32 degree's in ny and I had my cylinder head replaced almost a couple of years ago. Well its ticking again. Has anyone had this problem even after it has been replaced?
They must have used the same damn head as the original. Record the ticking on your phone or camera and bring it in. Even if your car is out of warranty they HAVE to fix this issue since you brought it up while your car was still under warranty. I know it's sweet to hear a $40k car that sounds like a fucking tractor.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 10:03 AM   #1612
integrale4wd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
They must have used the same damn head as the original. Record the ticking on your phone or camera and bring it in. Even if your car is out of warranty they HAVE to fix this issue since you brought it up while your car was still under warranty. I know it's sweet to hear a $40k car that sounds like a fucking tractor.
I see you live in Jersey and you know its cold out but man, I start the car and I hear the valve train from 15 feet away! To me it sounds like the oil is not circulating properly in the valvetrain and plus when it idles when its cold out its pretty rough. Also when I drive for the first few miles after it warms up it hesitates when its cold out. It sounds rough and I could tell you there is a big difference with my mother's '09 328X. Her car when you start it in the weather sounds normal and you don't hear valves chattering.

I have been on the phone with BMW NA about it too and the car is being dropped off on Monday. The problem is... here with the cylinder head and the fuel pump issues on the 35 engine...BMW will not admit any fault of design flaw unless you tell them you are going to call a lawyer. I have approximately 35K miles on it and to be honest with you my
e46 never had a problem at all. If they find a problem with it i'm having them buy the car back and giving me back the money I paid for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #1613
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
I see you live in Jersey and you know its cold out but man, I start the car and I hear the valve train from 15 feet away! To me it sounds like the oil is not circulating properly in the valvetrain and plus when it idles when its cold out its pretty rough. Also when I drive for the first few miles after it warms up it hesitates when its cold out. It sounds rough and I could tell you there is a big difference with my mother's '09 328X. Her car when you start it in the weather sounds normal and you don't hear valves chattering.

I have been on the phone with BMW NA about it too and the car is being dropped off on Monday. The problem is... here with the cylinder head and the fuel pump issues on the 35 engine...BMW will not admit any fault of design flaw unless you tell them you are going to call a lawyer. I have approximately 35K miles on it and to be honest with you my
e46 never had a problem at all. If they find a problem with it i'm having them buy the car back and giving me back the money I paid for it.
No your right but BWM did admit that there was a design flaw, which is why they are willing (fuck they better) to fix this issue. Like I said your service people might need to replace the head again. I'm pretty sure they did not use the new head when they fixed it last time. I say fuck it pester the shit out of them till they get this fixed. There is no reason why the car should sound like a tractor.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #1614
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:

Quote:
No your right but BWM did admit that there was a design flaw, which is why they are willing (fuck they better) to fix this issue. Like I said your service people might need to replace the head again. I'm pretty sure they did not use the new head when they fixed it last time. I say fuck it pester the shit out of them till they get this fixed. There is no reason why the car should sound like a tractor.
The ticking can also be caused by broken springs in the valve lifters....less likely but they can fail. Keep that in mind. It might not be the head.....ask the dealer to check part numbers.

Also this is problem on various BMW models.....it's not N52 specific.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #1615
integrale4wd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
The ticking can also be caused by broken springs in the valve lifters....less likely but they can fail. Keep that in mind. It might not be the head.....ask the dealer to check part numbers.

Also this is problem on various BMW models.....it's not N52 specific.
Even if the head was replaced, the springs might be faulty? Even with the new design?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #1616
2006330xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330Xi Black w/manual

Quote:
This is not entirely true.... they are only willing to fix cars under under warranty. If it was truly a design flaw, and every car from certain build dates are affected, they should fix all the cars people are having problems with. In or out of warranty. That would be the right thing to do, but seeing that they are a car company, they will NOT do the right thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #1617
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Even if the head was replaced, the springs might be faulty? Even with the new design?
No. Earlier chassis have had this problem as well. Sometimes the ticking was caused by broken springs....I guess they wore out. I haven't heard about it on the N52 yet but I'm sure it's possible. It's kinda too early to tell.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #1618
integrale4wd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
No. Earlier chassis have had this problem as well. Sometimes the ticking was caused by broken springs....I guess they wore out. I haven't heard about it on the N52 yet but I'm sure it's possible. It's kinda too early to tell.
I noticed that the idle when I start the car sits a little bit over the correct idle mark and when the car gets warmer the idle finally sits in the correct position. This would do this even if I were to warm up the engine for 10 minutes.

my car came from another factory, its not reliable at all. I even had a motor mount replaced with 25K miles!

wish me luck and hopefully i'll get some good feedback on Tuesday.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #1619
Bladerunner
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

I took mine to the dealer yesterday for him to check it out, at first they said they didn't hear anything, but then it started ticking louder and he couldn't dismiss it. I have an appointment in the new year for them to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 05:54 AM   #1620
ASR1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyIDs View Post
The second step of the repair is a cylinder head replacement with a new design that includes a check valve to maintain oil pressure.

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B110907g.htm
Has BMW in the UK or Europe issued a similar bulletin?

If so where can I get it?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #1621
Sweedishfishy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07' Montego Blue 335i sedan

After hearing a tick and reading this thread, I took my 2007 335 in for a look.

The sa brought out the head tech guy and he said it was injectors after listening.

I could still hear the tick (valve clap / tractor-ish ) but it was admittedly softer after my 20min drive to the dealer.

I stressed how loud it was in the morning and how the volume seemed to fluctuate as if oil was getting here, but not there. I also stressed my research on this topic... And it was enough to allow me to leave it overnight for another look.

We'll see what he thinks in the a.m.....
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #1622
typeszh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Mine was the muffler. Once they changed the muffler the noise never came back.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #1623
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by typeszh View Post
Mine was the muffler. Once they changed the muffler the noise never came back.
Coincidence....not a solution.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #1624
tsuma
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 Alpine White 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweedishfishy View Post
After hearing a tick and reading this thread, I took my 2007 335 in for a look.

This problem only affects the N52 engine, ie not the turbos!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #1625
DL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuma View Post
This problem only affects the N52 engine, ie not the turbos!
+1 This issue is specific to the N51 and N52 engines design flaw of poor lubrication at lower rpm’s. However, I am not saying that the N54 will never have a lifter problem.
      12-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #1626
ttbmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: space gray on black 07 335i

My two cents... Many people confuse the turbo wasgate rattle with lifter rattle!!
PROCEDE, PWM Vishnu Kit, AR catless DP, BMS DCI, Helix IC, P3 gauge, 25% window tint, mattblack window trim, mattblack roof wrapped. Vorstainer CSL trunk, CF wrapped interior, 18'' Forgestar F14 Matt black, quaife LSD, M3 suspension bits, Mtech front bumper). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8JIB8C8HDA
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #1627
SnowhitE92
Rep
Drives: 08335I

I can hear the same ticking sound on my 08 335i. I bought it in May and I think it started with the cold weather. It goes away after driving (I think). The same problem I had in my wife’s 2007 X3, and dealer did lot’s of work on it till and it stopped ticking. (I don’t recall exactly what, but something to do with lifters). Never the less this problem did not occur on my 06 330 which I had before the 335. Go figure…
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 03:12 AM   #1628
virk007
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i AW

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2000 BMW 323CI  [0.00]
hey guys, quick question, I had the ticking noise back in august because my car was in the garage and not driven for 2 months, it went away within 1-2 days. Now the temperatures are getting colder, i always hear the ticking noise while idling (ex: waiting in a drive thru). Is it normal to hear it in cold weather? I never heard it during the fall.
Appreciate 0