E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > STOLEN - Specialized Rockhopper Expert 2012 from HOOK

11-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
poggy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 318i SE

STOLEN - Specialized Rockhopper Expert 2012 from HOOK

Almost new, Specialized Rockhopper Expert 2012 stolen from my locked garage in Hook. Please keep eyes peeled.
Black and red
Rockshox forks
Shimano hydraulic brakes
Shimano gears
Spotless condition
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Sorry to hear mate. Hope you get it back.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
What's that, some sort of heavy lifting equipment
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 & G05 X5

Hate to be pessimistic here, but you have very little chance of getting it back. We were broken into 2 months ago, managed to cut three heavy duty padlocks, a HUGE chain and a ground anchor in order to take my motocross bike. Even the police said that there is little chance of retrieving items like bikes,tools, motorbikes etc. They even advised I go round the local pubs and see if there's any gossip. Speaks volumes about how confident they are. However, luck may be on your side and I really hope it is. Cause I know exactly how you feel right now!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d XD M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by poggy View Post
Almost new, Specialized Rockhopper Expert 2012 stolen from my locked garage in Hook. Please keep eyes peeled.
Black and red
Rockshox forks
Shimano hydraulic brakes
Shimano gears
Spotless condition
Set up an eBay alert and keep an eye on gumtree for the next couple of weeks.
      11-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post
Hate to be pessimistic here, but you have very little chance of getting it back. We were broken into 2 months ago, managed to cut three heavy duty padlocks, a HUGE chain and a ground anchor in order to take my motocross bike. Even the police said that there is little chance of retrieving items like bikes,tools, motorbikes etc. They even advised I go round the local pubs and see if there's any gossip. Speaks volumes about how confident they are. However, luck may be on your side and I really hope it is. Cause I know exactly how you feel right now!
Whoa, that is some serious determination they had. Did you not get it back in the end?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #7
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 & G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_P View Post
Whoa, that is some serious determination they had. Did you not get it back in the end?
Nope. Never heard a word from the police since. The police HQ did have the cheek to send out a quality questionnaire though!

Despite the damage, the fact they stole it and the hellish emotions I experienced throughout....they really could not have given a fuck less. That was maybe the hardest pill to swallow!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
mtr123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 320d le-mans blue

sorry to hear that fella, only bet is to keep checking the usual sites, theres very little the police can do.

i had a bike shop and around 3 weeks ago they got through a mass amount of security to steal 21 bikes, all you can do is get the serial numbers circulated on the web, stolen bike alert etc. and cross your fingers, the first set of police barely looked around our premises and their negligence meant two other companies were broken into soon after.

hope you find the bike and the sods that knicked them as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtr123 View Post
sorry to hear that fella, only bet is to keep checking the usual sites, theres very little the police can do.

i had a bike shop and around 3 weeks ago they got through a mass amount of security to steal 21 bikes, all you can do is get the serial numbers circulated on the web, stolen bike alert etc. and cross your fingers, the first set of police barely looked around our premises and their negligence meant two other companies were broken into soon after.

hope you find the bike and the sods that knicked them as well.
You had? What happened is it no more?

Sorry to hear mate. some people are just C***s
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
There are some propper scum out there. I also had an expensive Kona stolen and the police diddn't care and neither did the insurance some bollox it was in the Garage and not in the house! Apparently I should have took it to bed with me or something for it to be insured.

Hope you get yours abck or have insurance on it
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #11
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Has no one come out with a cycle based based gps tracker unit? small enough to fit in one of the components say the crank? which would be powered by a lithium battery which can be charged via sunlight and also through kinetic energy?

Lets face it bikes are expensive these days and a decent bike is around a grand and higher...

hmmmm I feel a dragons den appearance in place here. I present to you.

The worlds first E90post ( uk section mind) commemorative special edition nothing to do with BMW's, self powered and highly ethical fair trade friendly cycle based tracker unit.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
mtr123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You had? What happened is it no more?

Sorry to hear mate. some people are just C***s
decided to close the company, for many reasons not just the theft but the way it was handled by the police and also our landlords were a large factor in not being comfortable in the area/situation as our landlords were absolutely useless.

one of life's little challenges, onwards and upwards though

sorry to steer away from the original topic

OP have you got the serial number? if you have i'd be happy to throw a few tweets around and see if we can spread the word and help find your bike
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
mtr123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Has no one come out with a cycle based based gps tracker unit? small enough to fit in one of the components say the crank? which would be powered by a lithium battery which can be charged via sunlight and also through kinetic energy?

Lets face it bikes are expensive these days and a decent bike is around a grand and higher...

The worlds first E90post ( uk section mind) commemorative special edition nothing to do with BMW's, self powered and highly ethical fair trade friendly cycle based tracker unit.

i've thought about looking into it before, my idea was to conceal it within a bottom bracket as if we're honest the majority of bike thieves dont have the knowledge to remove it, or obviously it could be within the tubing but if it stops working theres no way to fix it then.

solar powered would be a no go but kinetic could work.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #14
ian_m
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 330 d

Garage List
very sorry to read about the bike theft

i had the idea of bike tracker based on the fact that we radio track bats with UHF trackers stuck on them that last a few days and my car tracker is battery run that lasts four years - so somewhere in the middle.

My eldest had his rockhopper nicked when he was a morning paper lad. Getting his papers, locked up outside, they just cut it when he was in the shop and rode off - no one thought anything of it

we replaced his bike, now he uses an almax chain, pitlocks, kryptonite u lock and abus cable, data tracked and coded, locks weigh more than the bike
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #15
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33M3R View Post
Set up an eBay alert and keep an eye on gumtree for the next couple of weeks.
Guy I work with had his £1500 custom built Santa Cruz stolen off the roof of his car outside his house last year. It was a very recognisable bike with custom graphics with his girls names on. It turned up on eBay this week with a buy it now of £299.

Regarding the Police. My mum had her bag snatched in Tesco last year. Whole thing caught on CCTV. They sat and watched with my mum in the security office and the Police knew the bag snatcher by name. They then told my mum that they would pop round to the scum bags house at some point. A month later they brought her (empty) bag back. She asked what had happened to the shit bag that took it. The answer was a resounding fuck all.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #16
poggy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the replies guys.

Keeping an eye out in all the usual places and bike registered as stolen on national property register etc.

This seems to be happening a lot but what I don't get is if so many are stolen why are so few found - this must be organised crime going on that the police should be taking an interest in - if not directly, they're being used to fund drug habits or alcohol binges. Some elements of society make me sick.

Rant over.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #17
poggy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_P

I've thought about this myself but I guess there are two issues that would need to be addressed:
1) bikes are generally either metal or carbon and electromagnetic waves don't travel through either
Perhaps you could make these parts the antenna itself?
2) you could put it in the frame but they'd then strip the bikes down more and sell off parts ( think this happens a fair hit anyway)
Appreciate 0