E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > inexpensive airplay for the car

03-27-2014, 04:09 AM   #67
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

It's probably the RCA to aux cable causing problems. You can have the greatest dac but your weakest link is that aux connection. Safe to assume your stereo system isn't aftermarket? Factory amp or aftermarket?
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #68
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSNGH View Post
Well yesterday I set up the new apple airport express along with the fiio D3 DAC when I started testing out the music everything just sounded off...alot of like humming buzzing sound and very weak bass

The way I was testing it out was airport connected via toslink(female adapter) to the input of the toslink port of the DAC. And then RCA to headset port from DAC TO the cars AUX...and of course the DAC was powered on

I tried every combo seems like it's something to do with the output

I want airplay to work well but anyone know why I'm encountering this?

I'm thinking of going back just using a USB drive
How did you power the AE? SOunds like a grounding issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #69
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematics View Post
It's probably the RCA to aux cable causing problems. You can have the greatest dac but your weakest link is that aux connection. Safe to assume your stereo system isn't aftermarket? Factory amp or aftermarket?
Yes factory logic 7 6fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
How did you power the AE? SOunds like a grounding issue.
Well I was still going to open the Apple TV and mod it with a usb out cable for power but I did not do that yet because I wanted test all the stuff out

After hooking everything up I used an extension cord and plugged the devices to the outlet
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #70
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Yes factory logic 7 6fl

Well I was still going to open the Apple TV and mod it with a usb out cable for power but I did not do that yet because I wanted test all the stuff out

After hooking everything up I used an extension cord and plugged the devices to the outlet
AE power is a red herring anyway if you're using an optical connection to the DAC. But then, how are you powering the DAC?
      03-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #71
NightStalker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
AE power is a red herring anyway if you're using an optical connection to the DAC. But then, how are you powering the DAC?
I'm powering the DAC by the supplied usb outlet but when i switched the cable towards the cars usb power that weird noise went away but the sound still sounded dull compared to playing via USB drive. i don't have i drive either i would of loved just connecting my iPhone cable instead of the y-cable that i have.

any who I'm sticking with usb and buying this sony one below also has micro usb integrated

if anyone wants an airport express for cheap hit me up, great condition except has marking on the bottom to open the lid but never ended up modifying it
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #72
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

by running the ae on your house current 120v and then connecting it to your car you had two different ground systems, this is what caused that noise.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 07:10 PM   #73
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
by running the ae on your house current 120v and then connecting it to your car you had two different ground systems, this is what caused that noise.
Yep, just use step down power converters and it should sound great!
      03-27-2014, 07:20 PM   #74
NightStalker
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
yeah i figured when i switched one of the devices to usb mode 5v

also theres a delay in airplay when skipping tracks which is kinda lame compared to A2DP stander in my car its instant when skipping tracks but still i seem to understand all this now
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #75
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

also theres a delay in airplay when skipping tracks which is kinda lame compared to A2DP stander in my car its instant when skipping tracks but still i seem to understand all this now
Quote:
Quote:
No, no, and no.

The airport express, by using an optical audio connection to the external DAC, is galvanically isolated from the rest of the car. It doesn't matter what supply it's connected to, there is no electrical connection to the car at all, and no shared ground.

The DAC itself, however, isn't galvanically isolated at all, and has two potential grounds. If it's not designed for full isolation, it could well be sharing ground between input power and output audio, which could cause issues.
      03-27-2014, 10:42 PM   #76
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

What the heck did you just say?

I know this (because I tried it): when the AE is powered by 120v house power and connected to my car stereo, there is noise up the ying yang. However, when using 12v step down converters, there is no noise, zero, zilch. I have NO earthly idea if that confirms or contradicts what you just said though...
      03-28-2014, 06:57 AM   #77
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSNGH
Quote:
Quote:

3.3v, not 5v. USB power needs a step down regulator. Do not power it with straight 5v from USB.
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #78
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

I'm trying to use this with an Audi..Audis have a port in glove compartment but it's not a USB...it's smaller and might be specific to audi...on other end of the cable you plug into here is a 30 pin connector used to dock older iPhones and iPods.

Will this product work with audi?. Audis also have 2 SD slots on center dash but no USB ports like bmw's have....thx.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #79
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
I'm trying to use this with an Audi..Audis have a port in glove compartment but it's not a USB...it's smaller and might be specific to audi...on other end of the cable you plug into here is a 30 pin connector used to dock older iPhones and iPods.

Will this product work with audi?. Audis also have 2 SD slots on center dash but no USB ports like bmw's have....thx.
It was designed originally for Audi and VW, I think. My understanding is that that interface is super similar to the BMW one electrically but they use a custom connector to enforce the idea that you can't plug in a regular mini USB or USB/lightning and expect it to work (just like BMW's)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 11:44 AM   #80
kenbrinkman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235xi

Garage List
The AirEnabler works great. I just wrote up a short DIY on the install. Check it out if you're interested.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971083
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #81
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

ok, just did this with an Audi and it works great...only problem is my power source comes from cig lighter by ashtray and need to figure out how to snake a cord into glove box where the TP router and DAC is located...any ideas???.

As far as sound, the bass is abit lacking and it does sound abit muffled...so less clear and airy then I was expecting considering its lossless...I think the limiting factor is the 5.00 DAC...any way to upgrade the DAC using this product?????
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 09:11 PM   #82
kenbrinkman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235xi

Garage List
Quote:
ok, just did this with an Audi and it works great...only problem is my power source comes from cig lighter by ashtray and need to figure out how to snake a cord into glove box where the TP router and DAC is located...any ideas???.

As far as sound, the bass is abit lacking and it does sound abit muffled...so less clear and airy then I was expecting considering its lossless...I think the limiting factor is the 5.00 DAC...any way to upgrade the DAC using this product?????
Yeah you can use an upgraded DAC. Here's a link to the AirEnabler's website on compatible ones.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #83
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Guys, I just upgraded the DAC to the Behringer UCA 202(30.00 on Amazon)...when I first set it up I was listening to it back to back forth against my SD card(or for BMW USB stick).

Air Enabler running Spotify still sounded abit thin, less detailed and less bassy...I thought the cheap DAC that came with Air Enabler was the culprit so I was abit disappointed after upgrading the DAC...but then I remembered to look at settings under Spotify...I was running at the lowest bitrate at 90 kbs!(there are 3 settings, 90,160 and 320).

I went to extreme rate 320kbs and there was noticeable improvement in everything!...now it does sound equivalent to SD card....sound is full, detailed , airy and with bass now.

I am currently trying to tap into passengers side fusebox for power so everything will be tucked into the glove box and I won't need to use cig lighter for power.

Lesson is, make sure you are running Spotify and Pandora or whatever you use at highest bit rate, it makes a difference.

Very happy now.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #84
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333
Guys, I just upgraded the DAC to the Behringer UCA 202(30.00 on Amazon)...when I first set it up I was listening to it back to back forth against my SD card(or for BMW USB stick).

Air Enabler running Spotify still sounded abit thin, less detailed and less bassy...I thought the cheap DAC that came with Air Enabler was the culprit so I was abit disappointed after upgrading the DAC...but then I remembered to look at settings under Spotify...I was running at the lowest bitrate at 90 kbs!(there are 3 settings, 90,160 and 320).

I went to extreme rate 320kbs and there was noticeable improvement in everything!...now it does sound equivalent to SD card....sound is full, detailed , airy and with bass now.

I am currently trying to tap into passengers side fusebox for power so everything will be tucked into the glove box and I won't need to use cig lighter for power.

Lesson is, make sure you are running Spotify and Pandora or whatever you use at highest bit rate, it makes a difference.

Very happy now.
So the question remains, is the Behringer DAC worth it? I currently have one of those and a muse DAC to test against the INcluded Dac but I am waiting on my car from the dealer
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #85
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
So the question remains, is the Behringer DAC worth it? I currently have one of those and a muse DAC to test against the INcluded Dac but I am waiting on my car from the dealer

For 30.00, damn right!...I am used to paying 1500.00-2000.00 for a decent home DAC so 30.00 is like free....
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 05:52 PM   #86
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

ok, so I ended drilling a small hole on right side of glovebox and from there it was a straight shot to fuse box.

Everything is well hidden in glove box now.

My only issue is I can't tell if the unit if turning off cause every time I open glovebox the light turns on and the TP Router blue light is on...I think its staying on even after I turn the car off...am I using the incorrect slot on fusebox?...I need a slot that will turn off when i turn car off obviously.

EDIT: found a different spot on fusebox and now it turns off when car does...works perfectly now...I highly recommend this product!...and the guys customer service is second to none.

Last edited by mact3333; 04-20-2014 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #87
NightStalker
Rep

Quote:
ok, so I ended drilling a small hole on right side of glovebox and from there it was a straight shot to fuse box.

Everything is well hidden in glove box now.

My only issue is I can't tell if the unit if turning off cause every time I open glovebox the light turns on and the TP Router blue light is on...I think its staying on even after I turn the car off...am I using the incorrect slot on fusebox?...I need a slot that will turn off when i turn car off obviously.

EDIT: found a different spot on fusebox and now it turns off when car does...works perfectly now...I highly recommend this product!...and the guys customer service is second to none.

What if your playing songs stored physically on the iPhone? I kinda gave up when the sound was lacking lol. Still have the airport express tho
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 08:21 AM   #88
j13jjs
Rep
Drives: 07 328i, Ducati 996, KX250.

To help negate the 20 second start up time I'd suggest using the power from the glove box flashlight port if you have it. It gets power when you unlock the car or open the door and shuts off a few minutes after you exit the car.

You can either plug in with one of these

Or just splice into the wires behind it.