E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > “ Beware” Faulty Actuator could result in your car being broken into.

08-12-2018, 02:49 AM   #1
robare
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 330D

“ Beware” Faulty Actuator could result in your car being broken into.

Just a warning for all E90 330D owners. Make sure you check from time to time that all doors actually lock when automatically locking your car. I had a situation whereby my doors all seemed locked but reality was that the passenger door remained unlocked even though it looked closed with the locking button down. The only reason I discovered the issue was that my wife recently opened the passenger door when I accidently left my keys inside my home. I park my car in the street and unfortunately my car was broken into without any damage, hence my warning to check other doors apart from the driver’s door as there is no doubt my car was broken into with from the front passenger door. When you think of it, why would you ever check all the door handles if you clearly see all locks down on each door plus when would you ever check the doors when you don’t have the keys on you? Very rarely I would suggest. Returned it immediately to a BMW dealer and $910 later plus loss of some personal possessions lost during the burglary worth well over a $2000 all is back to normal. I reported this to the BMW service dept and asked them if this was a common occurrence and they advised no. My immediate response was no wonder as how many would actually check?
Appreciate 2
      08-12-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
ahlbe1cl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Interesting. Also interesting that you pointed out that this is applicable to 330D owners, as if the motor setup has something to do with it. Okay, so now we understand what you drive. I think this is helpful for all E90 owners regardless of their motor setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:13 PM   #3
BaliDawg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E32 E39 E46 E84 E92

Same problem happens on E39. The button can be down but the actuator didn ‘t fully lock the door. Lying door lock buttons lie!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 02:00 PM   #4
Psyphertext
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robare View Post
Just a warning for all E90 330D owners. Make sure you check from time to time that all doors actually lock when automatically locking your car. I had a situation whereby my doors all seemed locked but reality was that the passenger door remained unlocked even though it looked closed with the locking button down. The only reason I discovered the issue was that my wife recently opened the passenger door when I accidently left my keys inside my home. I park my car in the street and unfortunately my car was broken into without any damage, hence my warning to check other doors apart from the driver’s door as there is no doubt my car was broken into with from the front passenger door. When you think of it, why would you ever check all the door handles if you clearly see all locks down on each door plus when would you ever check the doors when you don’t have the keys on you? Very rarely I would suggest. Returned it immediately to a BMW dealer and $910 later plus loss of some personal possessions lost during the burglary worth well over a $2000 all is back to normal. I reported this to the BMW service dept and asked them if this was a common occurrence and they advised no. My immediate response was no wonder as how many would actually check?
Year of vehicle please. If we find that there is a batch of years across models, we can in fact force BMW to recall and it may actually put them on the hook for damages and losses if it is widespread. If in fact an issue is identified and widespread it will be time to consult legal counsel as an affected party.