E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Warning: Make sure you check your meth injection setup regularly!!

03-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Exclamation Warning: Make sure you check your meth injection setup regularly!!

I had no visible meth leaks in the past 1.5 years I've been running the setup except one at the wash fluid tank tap I made which I had to redo shortly after install (added silicone to secure it). I run my washer fluid tank as my meth tank, pump is behind the front bumper in front of the front subframe of the car and tubing goes up behind the firewall above the fan, where the filter+check valve+flow sensor are mounted, and then another tube goes down to the elbow before the charge pipe with a single M15 nozzle there...I dynoed with this setup while Shiv was here recently and I know it didn't leak back then as the hood was open and we would've seen it spray/leak, would've been dead obvious...

Right above the fan where I have the filter+checkvalve+flow sensor, I had reinstalled the plastic air scoop piece that delivers air to the DCIs about a year ago, covering the 3 key pieces in my meth setup and hiding them from easy view/access...yesterday, while looking around the front of the engine and examining an oil leak from the oil filter housing I took this plastic piece off to have a better look...i was shocked to see that the tube going from the flowsensor to the injector was OFFFFF I have no idea when it actually came off but the funny part is it came off AFTER the flow sensor...maybe it was a fluke and it came off suddenly while taking the plastic charge air piece but maybe not...

What would've happened if I continued driving like this is basically a few potential disasters, plural..Procede would still end up get a max flow reading from the flow sensor, upping boost to map2 settings (flow at 50 would indicate an overflow to procede and it would drop a map but I'd maybe still be below that with my current settings and it wouldn't)...also, running 50/50 mix and considering it was still winter/cold here I was ok BUT had this been middle of summer with 100% meth at the track something could've gone really really wrong with high concentration meth "atomizing" conveniently into a hot engine bay..

I'm really glad I noticed this when I did...now, I have to say, I hate push fittings...I must change this to fittings that aren't of this type and which I can guarantee will stay in place 110% of the time...any suggestions how to retrofit something like that?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
chili36
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I've had leaks from the push fittings (hose not cut straight) but never had a push fitting un-do itself. When properly inserted they are pretty tough to remove.
Maybe an install error?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili36 View Post
I've had leaks from the push fittings (hose not cut straight) but never had a push fitting un-do itself. When properly inserted they are pretty tough to remove.
Maybe an install error?
Maybe but the point is check "often" and don't run things outside the easy view otherwise human nature is to just ignore..sh*t goes sideways when you least expect lol
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

This is why I upgraded to metal fittings...

Also... I dont think the failsafe would see adequate flow since there would technically be a boost leak in the entire system.
Im having trouble thinking today so disregard that if it makes no sense lol.

Anyway...

Yea I went back to stock for a dealer visit. Put everything back together and I had 3 new leaks.

So I upgraded everything. Everything was good for 2 years.

I would say weekly checks wouldnt hurt.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
This is why I upgraded to metal fittings...

Also... I dont think the failsafe would see adequate flow since there would technically be a boost leak in the entire system.
Im having trouble thinking today so disregard that if it makes no sense lol.

Anyway...

Yea I went back to stock for a dealer visit. Put everything back together and I had 3 new leaks.

So I upgraded everything. Everything was good for 2 years.

I would say weekly checks wouldnt hurt.
JP where did you get the other fittings?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Good catch! The JB4 assumes meth overflow at 2000ml/min and reverts back to non-meth settings. I'd be surprised if the PROcede didn't do the same. Still bad times having meth sprayed around in the engine bay.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Good catch! The JB4 assumes meth overflow at 2000ml/min and reverts back to non-meth settings. I'd be surprised if the PROcede didn't do the same. Still bad times having meth sprayed around in the engine bay.

Mike
Actually, I believe the Procede was triggering overflow faults.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

I was getting overflow on the procede but I thought that was due to calibration on the cmgs...I'll relog later and confirm if overflow would've caught this if it really was off and spraying at any point in time...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

Considering meth is basically fuel, I'm surprised there is ANYONE out there not using legit metal fuel lines and fittings for this stuff. I mean hell, better safe than sorry, right?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #10
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
I was getting overflow on the procede but I thought that was due to calibration on the cmgs...I'll relog later and confirm if overflow would've caught this if it really was off and spraying at any point in time...
I just checked logs with the hose PLUGGED IN procede was dead on with overflow protection, if I'd only realized loose hose was a possibility procede was seeing flow between 43-55 and hitting overflow protection...now with the hose back in place it's back down to 17-23 with injection mode set to 14
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #11
nubbmw
Rep
Drives: 328xi

nice
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #12
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
JP where did you get the other fittings?
I got them from myself via Coolingmist

And yes overflow protection is what I was trying to say. I feel like its monday but its tuesday LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #13
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

metal fitting are the only way to go imo
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #14
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
I had no visible meth leaks in the past 1.5 years I've been running the setup except one at the wash fluid tank tap I made which I had to redo shortly after install (added silicone to secure it). I run my washer fluid tank as my meth tank, pump is behind the front bumper in front of the front subframe of the car and tubing goes up behind the firewall above the fan, where the filter+check valve+flow sensor are mounted, and then another tube goes down to the elbow before the charge pipe with a single M15 nozzle there...I dynoed with this setup while Shiv was here recently and I know it didn't leak back then as the hood was open and we would've seen it spray/leak, would've been dead obvious...

Right above the fan where I have the filter+checkvalve+flow sensor, I had reinstalled the plastic air scoop piece that delivers air to the DCIs about a year ago, covering the 3 key pieces in my meth setup and hiding them from easy view/access...yesterday, while looking around the front of the engine and examining an oil leak from the oil filter housing I took this plastic piece off to have a better look...i was shocked to see that the tube going from the flowsensor to the injector was OFFFFF I have no idea when it actually came off but the funny part is it came off AFTER the flow sensor...maybe it was a fluke and it came off suddenly while taking the plastic charge air piece but maybe not...

What would've happened if I continued driving like this is basically a few potential disasters, plural..Procede would still end up get a max flow reading from the flow sensor, upping boost to map2 settings (flow at 50 would indicate an overflow to procede and it would drop a map but I'd maybe still be below that with my current settings and it wouldn't)...also, running 50/50 mix and considering it was still winter/cold here I was ok BUT had this been middle of summer with 100% meth at the track something could've gone really really wrong with high concentration meth "atomizing" conveniently into a hot engine bay..

I'm really glad I noticed this when I did...now, I have to say, I hate push fittings...I must change this to fittings that aren't of this type and which I can guarantee will stay in place 110% of the time...any suggestions how to retrofit something like that?
You know that labonte told me they would retro fit their unit with an fittings... There is no reason we can't use ALL an fittings. I've been saying it since the beginning but nooo, people insist they are fool proof.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #15
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipseracer View Post
You know that labonte told me they would retro fit their unit with an fittings... There is no reason we can't use ALL an fittings. I've been saying it since the beginning but nooo, people insist they are fool proof.
I'm still waiting 6+ months for labonte to make a fail-safe that works, cause the last 2 they made me failed within a day. Last thing I want is some quirly AN fittings from them LOL.

Reason most people dont use AN fittings is cause of the cost. I do agree its a good idea. There are other companies out their that have AN fitting kits.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #16
Iwantm3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport

Quote:
I'm still waiting 6+ months for labonte to make a fail-safe that works, cause the last 2 they made me failed within a day. Last thing I want is some quirly AN fittings from them LOL.

Reason most people dont use AN fittings is cause of the cost. I do agree its a good idea. There are other companies out their that have AN fitting kits.
Get the snow one
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #17
Slidewayz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I read stuff like this and my crave-ometer for meth pegs low
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #18
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
I got them from myself via Coolingmist

And yes overflow protection is what I was trying to say. I feel like its monday but its tuesday LOL
Do you have pics of this or coolingmist site has them for sale?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 04:22 AM   #19
creaminz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Do you have pics of this or coolingmist site has them for sale?
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 04:30 AM   #20
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Dzenno think as well on those sub temps you got in canada. those hoses would get really hard and retract i suppose with cold temperatures. i have lots of slack on mine and i inspect them every now and than but yeah metal fitting would be better for peace of mind.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0