E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Help me out on hot start shaking!!

02-08-2015, 02:20 AM   #1
neyshule
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328XI

Help me out on hot start shaking!!

Hi All:
My 08/328xi now starts to shake sometime when hot start, cold start is fine and driving is fine. Only when hot start it shakes, restart solves it immediately.
The only error stored is 2A82 and I have attached some numbers here.
You can see the camshaft inlet is always 114.75 degree when it's supposed to be set to around 65 degree. The temperature is always around 90 when shake happens. Are these number normal and why it's always 114.75 degree ?

Since it only happens when engine hot starts, is it possible that battery or starter is weak when temperature becomes high or vanos actuator tends to fail when hot starts? After car is started they will be fine even with high temperature?

Another thing I can come up with is as temperature goes high, oil pressure will be lower, will this cause any problem?

I really appreciate you guys help.
Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by neyshule; 02-08-2015 at 02:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 09:02 PM   #2
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by neyshule View Post
Hi All:
My 08/328xi now starts to shake sometime when hot start, cold start is fine and driving is fine. Only when hot start it shakes, restart solves it immediately.
The only error stored is 2A82 and I have attached some numbers here.
You can see the camshaft inlet is always 114.75 degree when it's supposed to be set to around 65 degree. The temperature is always around 90 when shake happens. Are these number normal and why it's always 114.75 degree ?

Since it only happens when engine hot starts, is it possible that battery or starter is weak when temperature becomes high or vanos actuator tends to fail when hot starts? After car is started they will be fine even with high temperature?

Another thing I can come up with is as temperature goes high, oil pressure will be lower, will this cause any problem?

I really appreciate you guys help.
Thanks.
I've seen posts with far less detail and information that are written by absolute idiots get more attention that this got, it's shocking no one replied to this. Did you ever get this figured out? My e82 has been doing it for some time now intermittently and now it seems to have gotten a bit worse and I'm also experiencing idle stumbling when coming to a stop so now it's finally time to chase this down.

You may be on to something with the camshaft angle. I came across something earlier about eccentric shaft sensor getting fouled with oil due to a bad o-ring and having idle problems. I'm wondering if maybe this is the case with us and it just hasn't completely failed.

In your 5 years of chasing this did you change the ESS?

I noticed my car has a small amount of oil seeping around cylinder 3 where the eccentric shaft motor is, possibly the culprit? I'll have to check the sensor tomorrow when it's not raining.
Appreciate 0