E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > MHD N55 E-Series - general discussion

05-09-2021, 11:42 AM   #8889
wheela
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by akk View Post
Something is off with my car, I don't understand why I'm getting these timing corrections, just put new plugs and coils in yesterday (oe from fcpeuro). Also, is my exhaust vanos solenoid going out? It seems like the actual is lagging behind required.

https://datazap.me/u/akkorolyov/n55e...37-38-39-40-41

Hope someone can help
Nobody else has chimed in, so I'll take a swag

Are you getting these corrections consistently on different pulls? You're already on the 91 acn map, so i'm guessing the gas would have to be really crap to explain the corrections. Did you break traction at all at that point? I see load request drop and a corresponding throttle closure, but those happen after the corrections, so are probably not the cause.

I've not ever paid much attention to my vanos since I've never had any codes, and have only run OTS tunes, so I can't comment how closely actual should follow target in the logs.

Edit: Disclaimer - I'm not a tuner, just an enthusiast trying to learn tuning on this platform. I also just noticed that I replied to some of your earlier posts about corrections. Since you switched to better gas on the 91acn and it cleared up your corrections before, are you still on that better gas and are getting corrections again with the better gas?

Last edited by wheela; 05-09-2021 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 11:49 AM   #8890
wheela
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
Does anybody know what the different "fuel mode" numbers mean in the MHD logs? I've noticed that all my logs (stock, 1+, and 2+) all show fuel mode = 0, but in looking at the logs everybody else posts, they all seem to be fuel mode = 2. Any know what "fuel mode" means?

Edit: I have no codes showing in MHD.
Bumpskies. Does anybody know what the different fuel mode numbers mean?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 08:25 AM   #8891
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

Quote:
Originally Posted by akk View Post
Something is off with my car, I don't understand why I'm getting these timing corrections, just put new plugs and coils in yesterday (oe from fcpeuro). Also, is my exhaust vanos solenoid going out? It seems like the actual is lagging behind required.

https://datazap.me/u/akkorolyov/n55e...37-38-39-40-41

Hope someone can help
Your VANOS is weird.

you go from wide spread, then exhaust rapidly changes, then goes back to wide spread.

For low speed and building boost, you want wide spread, closing that spread as you build boost, then closing even further with increase of RPM
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 08:13 AM   #8892
freddan302
Registered
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335XI -2011

Hello guys!

Any thoughts on my datalog? https://datazap.me/u/freddan302/test1?log=0&data=13

My car has FMIC and chargepipes running MHD Stage 1+
Soon going catless DP and Stage 2+

What should I do to my car before Stage 2+ other than the DP?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 10:35 AM   #8893
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddan302 View Post
Hello guys!

Any thoughts on my datalog? https://datazap.me/u/freddan302/test1?log=0&data=13

My car has FMIC and chargepipes running MHD Stage 1+
Soon going catless DP and Stage 2+

What should I do to my car before Stage 2+ other than the DP?

Thanks!
Hello, hope you are doing well!

I noticed a few things when looking at the cylinder corrections of your log. Their seems to be some important corrections and a bit more than what would be desired to preserve the longitivity of your engine. I don't know much about the quality of the fuel in Sweden, but may I suggest you try flashing the Stage 1 + 91 ACN map which is less agressive and see the results it gives? You are currently using the 93OCT/98RON map which requires a pretty good fuel with high octane resistance. Sometimes it's not just about the Octane number your fuel has but more its quality. I am Canadian and I use the 91 ACN map with the 94 Octane we have around here since it is of bad quality.

Anyways, on a hardware point of view, you would be fine to upgrade to Stage 2+ as long as you get the downpipe, but personally I wouldn't crank the agressivness of boost and timing in my engine if I can not get a stale and safe tune at Stage 1+ for the moment.

Let's try to fix the way the car runs for the moment and then move on!

When was the last time you changed spark plugs and ignition coils?
      05-24-2021, 08:37 AM   #8894
freddan302
Registered
Sweden
Rep

Okay thanks for the input!
Here is a log of the 91/95ron map..
https://datazap.me/u/freddan302/log-...28-29-30-31-32

I have had the car for almost a year and have not changed plugs or coils. I dont know if previous owners have done it so maybe its time for a change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Hello, hope you are doing well!

I noticed a few things when looking at the cylinder corrections of your log. Their seems to be some important corrections and a bit more than what would be desired to preserve the longitivity of your engine. I don't know much about the quality of the fuel in Sweden, but may I suggest you try flashing the Stage 1 + 91 ACN map which is less agressive and see the results it gives? You are currently using the 93OCT/98RON map which requires a pretty good fuel with high octane resistance. Sometimes it's not just about the Octane number your fuel has but more its quality. I am Canadian and I use the 91 ACN map with the 94 Octane we have around here since it is of bad quality.

Anyways, on a hardware point of view, you would be fine to upgrade to Stage 2+ as long as you get the downpipe, but personally I wouldn't crank the agressivness of boost and timing in my engine if I can not get a stale and safe tune at Stage 1+ for the moment.

Let's try to fix the way the car runs for the moment and then move on!

When was the last time you changed spark plugs and ignition coils?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 11:51 AM   #8895
Street of Rage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i e92

Quote:

I have had the car for almost a year and have not changed plugs or coils. I dont know if previous owners have done it so maybe its time for a change?
You should, for maintenance purpose. You can always unplug the coils and spark plugs to inspect.
      05-26-2021, 04:22 PM   #8896
wheela
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bumpskies. Does anybody know what the different fuel mode numbers mean?
Bump, bump bump bump.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 04:28 PM   #8897
wheela
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does anybody know what the different "fuel mode" numbers mean in the MHD logs? I've noticed that all my logs (stock, 1+, and 2+) all show fuel mode = 0, but in looking at the logs everybody else posts, they all seem to be fuel mode = 2. Any know what "fuel mode" means?

Edit: I have no codes showing in MHD.
Sorry, my last bump quote didn't include my original question. My bad!!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 01:37 PM   #8898
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Quote:

Well, already that looks much better than the previous log. If I were you I would change the plugs and coils. When tuning these engines it's important to ensure the ignition hardware is in its best condition possible.

Normally, for North Americans, we tend to order our stuff at FCPEuro because they have a lifetime warranty policy meaning you pay for the coils and plugs once and you can replace them for free every year. I don't know in your case what would be best but having the option to replace the coils and plugs for free every year is a blessing.
      05-28-2021, 01:17 AM   #8899
freddan302
Registered
Sweden
Rep

I have ordered bosch coils and ngk's 97506 so i'm going to change them when I do the downpipe.

Will come back with results!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Well, already that looks much better than the previous log. If I were you I would change the plugs and coils. When tuning these engines it's important to ensure the ignition hardware is in its best condition possible.

Normally, for North Americans, we tend to order our stuff at FCPEuro because they have a lifetime warranty policy meaning you pay for the coils and plugs once and you can replace them for free every year. I don't know in your case what would be best but having the option to replace the coils and plugs for free every year is a blessing.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 12:36 PM   #8900
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Who's ready for some @mhd.tuning E-Series N55 OTS map updates for MHD flasher? We havent forgotten about you guys.

Map updates coming soon for and Android or Iphone near you!! Stay tuned!

Appreciate 4
      05-29-2021, 01:20 PM   #8901
E92only
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i 6MT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Quote:
Who's ready for some @mhd.tuning E-Series N55 OTS map updates for MHD flasher? We havent forgotten about you guys.

Quote:
Quote:

2020 Porsche Macan S pasm
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 02:04 PM   #8902
TunafishE93
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

They finally going to fix their crap tunes! I would say good job but after years I am surprised anyone goes to them and they are still in business how they left the n55e.

Every time I flash their tune I go back to my tune right away.. I have a better self tune and I don't even know what I am doing! I hope nothing good for people that have that little pride in their work.

Fix the overboost issue you losers, there is no reason to be hitting peaks of 22psi on a stage one tune. And manage your throttle closure, this causes timing corrections. But you all already knew this...

Last edited by TunafishE93; 05-29-2021 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 10:57 PM   #8903
wheela
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Sweet nectar
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 10:58 PM   #8904
bmw335ie90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunafishE93 View Post
They finally going to fix their crap tunes! I would say good job but after years I am surprised anyone goes to them and they are still in business how they left the n55e.

Every time I flash their tune I go back to my tune right away.. I have a better self tune and I don't even know what I am doing! I hope nothing good for people that have that little pride in their work.

Fix the overboost issue you losers, there is no reason to be hitting peaks of 22psi on a stage one tune. And manage your throttle closure, this causes timing corrections. But you all already knew this...
No need to bring this up every time MHD is mentioned, if the updated maps resolve the issues people are having, excellent. I'm stoked to see something at all, let's just see how they turn out?

If they turn out to be buns, flame on.
Appreciate 1
E92only21.50
      05-30-2021, 05:47 AM   #8905
fatty335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:

Well this is promising...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 08:00 AM   #8906
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Sweet nectar
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 12:24 PM   #8907
Street of Rage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i e92

Quote:
Sorry, my last bump quote didn't include my original question. My bad!!
Could it be fuel grade? You may want to email MHD or message them on FB for an answer.
      05-31-2021, 02:23 PM   #8908
TunafishE93
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

That wasnt a stab a MHD, there app is awesome.. That was a stab at Twisted Tuning losers if you didnt get the hint. .. Its been more than a year since they updated to work on the "boost control". We see how well that worked out and it took them almost two years prior to that to even address the issue.

They have no pride in what they do, they put out crap and say good enough. So sorry if i dont get on the 'pat their behind and tell them good job' wagon. I have no respect for companies/people like that. And i will keep pushing people away from them to companies that actually care about what they do. Mic drop.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 03:39 PM   #8909
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunafishE93 View Post
That wasnt a stab a MHD, there app is awesome.. That was a stab at Twisted Tuning losers if you didnt get the hint. .. Its been more than a year since they updated to work on the "boost control". We see how well that worked out and it took them almost two years prior to that to even address the issue.

They have no pride in what they do, they put out crap and say good enough. So sorry if i dont get on the 'pat their behind and tell them good job' wagon. I have no respect for companies/people like that. And i will keep pushing people away from them to companies that actually care about what they do. Mic drop.
Im with you.

I waited 3 years for the OBD unlock to come out and was very excited to load in some maps. Id been running JB4 and JB4 +BEF during that time. All I have to say is that the OTS maps were a huge disappointment.

I drove the OTS for 6 weeks or so but went back to JB4 without BEF and the car is running better than ever after some tweaking of the JB4 parameters.

Im not a full hater as Ill always give people a chance at redemption so well see how these updates run.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2021, 04:49 PM   #8910
freddan302
Registered
Sweden
Rep

Anyone knows when the updated OTS maps comes out?
Appreciate 0