E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52 Valve cover leak threading

05-02-2021, 01:03 PM   #1
Ferdi_bimmer
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

N52 Valve cover leak threading

This may have been answered before but short story I had a valve cover leak last year and lots of smoke because it was leaking onto the exhaust, paid a mechanic to change the valve cover gasket and one of the bolts was stripped so he tapped it.
Now the cover is leaking AGAIN and now that I know more about the car I diagnosed it myself and turns out one of the screws is just spinning and there might be another one spinning too on the exhaust side. It's an 07 328i coupe and I used it as a daily driver and didn't have ONE single problem with it all winter.
Now since I had no problems for almost a year I have no idea how the bolts got stripped it makes no sense my best guess is the warmer weather and shrinking and stretching of the cooling cycles had a part in this maybe because it's right above the exhaust because I never touched the bolts myself, but if you guys have any input that would be nice.
Really thinking of selling this car because I bought it to make a few upgrades and have a nice car with obvious maintenance cost but I've spend more money just trying to make it drive than I have doing other things. Valve covers don't usually need changing twice in one year I don't drive it hard.

My question is I read I can helicoil where the bolt stripped the head or thread it with a tap but does anyone know the correct size? if I thread it what size bolt do I have to put on and is it a special one or will I have to order it?.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 01:52 PM   #2
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Send a message via AIM to N8N Send a message via MSN to N8N Send a message via Yahoo to N8N
I don't see why you couldn't helicoil but to be safe Timeserts take up less space. I would just use the stock thread so your vehicle doesn't have any special servicing instructions
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 09:29 PM   #3
EvaBmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90

The mechanic who removed the valve cover last time is obviously a rough fuck and overtightened or cross threaded the bolts. Helicoil will be fine. Is your valve cover the plastic one or magnesium?

Last edited by EvaBmw; 05-02-2021 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0