E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Exhaust burrbles/gurggles on our platform compared to N55 w/ PPK

03-20-2016, 09:05 AM   #67
JustDriveIt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe E92 Black

If you're looking for "burbles and gurgles" the N54 is not for you. I would get these when slightly revving in 1st or 2nd gear in the past, sounds great.
Now with my N54 I get tin cans in a metal pot dragging under my car sound. Any gurgle or burbles I would have are completely ruined by N54 wastegates. No one should by a N54 engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 12:43 PM   #68
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue
It is just extra fuel being dumped downstream and igniting in the exhaust... If you have jb4, you can adjust DWP and set it to FUD98 for similar sound. helps if you have port or throttle body injection that dumps extra fuel in the manifold as well...
+1. If I set dwp to 0, my car sounds like gunshots are going off on decel for a few min after cold starts. I've scared quite a few people in my parking garage.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 05:41 PM   #69
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i e92 N54 A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel Toe View Post
+1. If I set dwp to 0, my car sounds like gunshots are going off on decel for a few min after cold starts. I've scared quite a few people in my parking garage.
Yea on cold starts. Mhd does the same thing for me on cold starts. Then goes away after a few minutes
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 10:09 PM   #70
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

bump
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 11:37 PM   #71
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVS
bump
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 04:28 PM   #72
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDriveIt View Post
If you're looking for "burbles and gurgles" the N54 is not for you. I would get these when slightly revving in 1st or 2nd gear in the past, sounds great.
Now with my N54 I get tin cans in a metal pot dragging under my car sound. Any gurgle or burbles I would have are completely ruined by N54 wastegates. No one should by a N54 engine.
I disagree, I can get my N54 to gurggle/burbble on off throttle driving and while applying a 1% throttle tip in on command. AND it sounds louder and nicer than the N55 PPK does. Problem is, I don't WANT to apply 1% throttle tip in with my right foot. This whole thread and the pursuit of what BuraQ is doing is to get the same sound WITHOUT applying your right foot on the throttle for the 1% throttle tip in.
I'll show a video and two logs. One video and log without my foot on the 1% throttle tip in. And another video, on the same down hill slope but this time with 1% throttle tip in and the log.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVS View Post
bump
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimE92 View Post
BuraQ is still cooking and I'm still testing. More to come in the following weeks. The goal is for me to approve it and I'd like to see BuraQ sell this as a MHD flash option or maybe he'll include it for those that hire him to produce a custom tune. I realize the N55 guys can get PPK for free via coding. But the process in doing so is VERY detailed. And if us N54 guys can flash it via MHD for a said $ amount, I think everyone would benefit.
      03-29-2016, 05:41 PM   #73
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dub
Quote:
I disagree, I can get my N54 to gurggle/burbble on off throttle driving and while applying a 1% throttle tip in on command. AND it sounds louder and nicer than the N55 PPK does. Problem is, I don't WANT to apply 1% throttle tip in with my right foot. This whole thread and the pursuit of what BuraQ is doing is to get the same sound WITHOUT applying your right foot on the throttle for the 1% throttle tip in.
I'll show a video and two logs. One video and log without my foot on the 1% throttle tip in. And another video, on the same down hill slope but this time with 1% throttle tip in and the log.
Quote:
bump
Quote:
BuraQ is still cooking and I'm still testing. More to come in the following weeks. The goal is for me to approve it and I'd like to see BuraQ sell this as a MHD flash option or maybe he'll include it for those that hire him to produce a custom tune. I realize the N55 guys can get PPK for free via coding. But the process in doing so is VERY detailed. And if us N54 guys can flash it via MHD for a said $ amount, I think everyone would benefit.
Agreed. I'd pay a small fee for it def takes some time and r&d to make it happen. I can also make my exhaust gurgle with my straight pipes but it doesn't have that gunshot snap crackle pop sound that we want
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 05:47 PM   #74
NightStalker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dub
Quote:
Quote:
bump
Quote:
Cool. Money no problem.

So in theory even with stock exhaust it could be noticeable?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 09:10 PM   #75
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Cool. Money no problem.

should be and if you open up the exhaust it should be louder. Got my MHD ready haven't ordered a custom tune yet until this gets finished.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 09:14 PM   #76
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool. Money no problem.

Yup, with a muffler delete or cat delete or both
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 08:03 AM   #77
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep

Bump any updates running stage 2 mhd sounds great but need more pops
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #78
N54CoupeHP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is

Garage List
2012 335is  [9.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
I haven't forgotten about you guys, customers are priority first before playing. I made some final adjustments that I need to go out and test first. First Beta map will go out to J. Dub since he has the most promising exhaust setup IMO . If he gives me thumbs up on it then Ill send the beta map to the second beta tester that I haven't chosen yet. Still sorting through emails atm.
Any updates, progress?
TOOK DELIVERY 24 OCT 2011 [FIRST PICS] [INTERIOR PICS]
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 02:06 PM   #79
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54CoupeHP View Post
Any updates, progress?
Unfortunately there has been a setback as I had to move on with other projects.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 04:32 PM   #80
cochran
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i (E90)

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 04:54 PM   #81
cochran
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i (E90)

Quote:
Will a bmw PE & xpipe in place of resonators on an e90 cause burble?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 10:01 PM   #82
NightStalker
Rep

damn so much for hope lmao
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 07:49 AM   #83
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Will it still be worked on?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 03:46 AM   #84
Jozy
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Singapore
Rep
Drives: R32 GTR

I get continuous gunshots going down slope with 1st gear engine braking lol.

BTW:

Last edited by Jozy; 04-27-2016 at 04:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 04:06 PM   #85
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozy View Post
I get continuous gunshots going down slope with 1st gear engine braking lol.

BTW:

Anybody tried that guys? I can't test it out yet until my ankle heals.
      04-29-2016, 09:56 PM   #86
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW MY12 1M

The problem as I see it is no one's properly disassembled the N54 roms. We need to to know what all the tables are and do. Currently it seems like theres a lot of custom and off the shelf tunes being made, but only by adjusting the few 'defined' tables.

To get crackles on decel without pressing the throttle lightly, you need to keep the injectors open. Neg timing in the cells the ecu in using on decel will make it a little more prominent. PPK tune would use this approach. By tipping in the throttle on an N54 if you log it you can see in logs it keep the ecu out of 'decel' mode and in the lowest load columns of the timing and fuel tables. I was able to make it burble more prominently by adding fuel and neg timing to these but the point, and JDUB said, is to mimic the PPK tune the N55 guys have which gives them the nice decel burbles without touching the throttle.

Without access to the injector tables controlling how long they stay open for after the tps signal indicates there's zero throttle input, you cannot make it sound like the PPK tune.

When is someone going to disassemble the N54 roms? There's loads of undefined tables.

It's a sad state of affairs when a bunch of doctors and IT workers can do this and far, far more for the Evo platform at home in their own time yet companies existing for the sole purpose of bmw tuning cannot get near the same level of development.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy to see the early baby steps of tuning happening, but we need so much more.
Appreciate 4
      04-29-2016, 10:07 PM   #87
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by einserM View Post
The problem as I see it is no one's properly disassembled the N54 roms. We need to to know what all the tables are and do. Currently it seems like theres a lot of custom and off the shelf tunes being made, but only by adjusting the few 'defined' tables.

To get crackles on decel without pressing the throttle lightly, you need to keep the injectors open. Neg timing in the cells the ecu in using on decel will make it a little more prominent. PPK tune would use this approach. By tipping in the throttle on an N54 if you log it you can see in logs it keep the ecu out of 'decel' mode and in the lowest load columns of the timing and fuel tables. I was able to make it burble more prominently by adding fuel and neg timing to these but the point, and JDUB said, is to mimic the PPK tune the N55 guys have which gives them the nice decel burbles without touching the throttle.

Without access to the injector tables controlling how long they stay open for after the tps signal indicates there's zero throttle input, you cannot make it sound like the PPK tune.

When is someone going to disassemble the N54 roms? There's loads of undefined tables.

It's a sad state of affairs when a bunch of doctors and IT workers can do this and far, far more for the Evo platform at home in their own time yet companies existing for the sole purpose of bmw tuning cannot get near the same level of development.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy to see the early baby steps of tuning happening, but we need so much more.
There's a bit happening, but there's only so much one guy can do. You won't really find much info here though. Have a good read through this one for progress:

XDF Progress

Last edited by bradsm87; 04-29-2016 at 10:55 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-01-2016, 07:16 AM   #88
marconi118
Major
Rep
Drives: 06/07 e93 335i

would it be possible to base our tunes on the N54 PPK rom?

it seems it is possible to flash MSD81 with PPK for free, but then no xdf for the tables????
Appreciate 0