E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > M3 Side Mirror Retrofit on E92 Questions

12-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Question M3 Side Mirror Retrofit on E92 Questions

OK, looking to do M3 Side Mirror Retrofit

Car is 09' 328ix E92
  • No Comfort Acess
  • No Premium Pkg
  • No Memory Seats
  • No Auto Dimming Mirrors

I have already retrofitted the interior Auto-Dim Rearview Mirror with Homelink/Compass using the retrofit harness + no coding needed = all interior mirror functions operate correctly.

I have a set of M3 Mirrors, Auto-Fold, Auto-Dim

I know how to R&R the mirrors themselves, main questions I have:

To start - my current mirrors are standard E92 version with No Auto-Fold & No Auto-Dim when I connect electrics, will the new M3 mirrors at least operate to adjust using the standard door switch & wiring?

To use Auto-Fold I know I will need the special door switch but after doing a search there are tons of conflicting reports.
  1. One guy reports only way he could get them to AF/AD was to have an Indy shop spend hours custom rewiring his car + coding for AF/AD to work
  2. One says he had to buy the door wiring harness for AF/AD mirror option + coding for AF/AD to work
  3. One says he didn't need to change wiring at all, but coding was necessary for AF/AD to work

So there is no consensus on what exactly is needed

At this point, I'd be happy if the mirrors would simply adjust by just plugging in my existing wiring harness & using existing switch - even if the AF/AD functions don't work at first

> Does anyone have the true story as to how to fully retrofit with AF/AD fully functional on car such as mine?

> Will the normal mirror adjust work properly just by plugging in using my existing wiring/harware?
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 1
E91WAG3N1247.50
      11-24-2021, 03:43 AM   #2
FrankiE90jl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 328i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post

Car is 09' 328ix E92
  • No Comfort Acess
  • No Premium Pkg
  • No Memory Seats

I have already retrofitted the interior Auto-Dim Rearview Mirror with Homelink/Compass using the retrofit harness + no coding needed = all interior mirror functions operate correctly.

To start - my current mirrors are standard E92 version with No Auto-Fold & No Auto-Dim when I connect electrics, will the new M3 mirrors at least operate to adjust using the standard door switch & wiring?

To use Auto-Fold I know I will need the special door switch but after doing a search there are tons of conflicting reports.
  1. One guy reports only way he could get them to AF/AD was to have an Indy shop spend hours custom rewiring his car + coding for AF/AD to work
  2. One says he had to buy the door wiring harness for AF/AD mirror option + coding for AF/AD to work
  3. One says he didn't need to change wiring at all, but coding was necessary for AF/AD to work

At this point, I'd be happy if the mirrors would simply adjust by just plugging in my existing wiring harness & using existing switch - even if the AF/AD functions don't work at first

> Does anyone have the true story as to how to fully retrofit with AF/AD fully functional on car such as mine?

> Will the normal mirror adjust work properly just by plugging in using my existing wiring/harware?
Thanks for sharing. So If my e90 328i have powered folding mirror, i can just got the m3 with powered folding and direct fit?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 04:25 PM   #3
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post

Car is 09' 328ix E92
  • No Comfort Acess
  • No Premium Pkg
  • No Memory Seats

if your passenger mirror tilts when you engage rear drive(mirrors with memory), then you can simply replace mirror assemblies, if not
then you have to rewire wiring in driver and passenger door and swap driver switch to support LIN bus for memory and other advanced functions
E91WAG3N1247.50
      12-13-2021, 01:09 PM   #4
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
if your passenger mirror tilts when you engage rear drive(mirrors with memory), then you can simply replace mirror assemblies, if not
then you have to rewire wiring in driver and passenger door and swap driver switch to support LIN bus for memory and other advanced functions
Great info here. Thank you for sharing!

Do you then simply have to add the window switch with the fold-in button?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 02:41 PM   #5
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91WAG3N View Post
Great info here. Thank you for sharing!

Do you then simply have to add the window switch with the fold-in button?
and code new option, this is required
E91WAG3N1247.50