E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > My CIC Combox 6FL retrofit log (and DIY focused on coding)

09-26-2019, 01:07 PM   #23
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 330e (F30)

That's some awful packaging! Seller should definitely pay for return shipping and give a full refund. I had to return my first CIC unit because the seller had ripped off the AM/FM jack so no cable could be connected. Sigh.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 05:40 PM   #24
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyblue View Post
Looks like you aren't the only one unlucky with a bad eBay seller. Look at how my items arrived..
Thats sucks! Honestly they got no idea. Looks like all the video/usb cables are cut too?
My first CIC was damaged on arrival aswell. Fm/am pin was damaged.

Last edited by TiAgAu; 11-15-2019 at 06:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 04:49 AM   #25
sparkyblue
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i & F80 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Happy to report it all worked out!

eBay seller had a second part out vehicle and sent me an 2009 CIC screen, and the USB + CIC video cable!

Also happy to report that your guide was 100% SPOT ON. Every step of the way you detailed completing a full 2007 E90 CCC to an 2013 CIC + combox retrofit.

THANK YOU for writing this extremely detailed DIY.

It was exactly what this community needed as I had planned to do this retrofit with the various mix mash of threads out there, but yours is 100% complete.

I will also save PDF versions of the web links he mentioned so they will forever be archived.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 12:14 PM   #26
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

You’re welcome! Enjoy your new system!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 01:13 PM   #27
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Not to thread hijack guys but I'm having an issue with my combox retrofit. I get no Bluetooth phone nor media. When I select the telephone option all it shows is please wait. I also scanned combox for codes with protool and got this error about microphone 1. Would swapping out the mic restore my Bluetooth. I've searched and read about people having mic issues as well but usually they can still play music via Bluetooth and make calls just that people can't hear them. Any help? Hopefully it's not my combox that's bad
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #28
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

I’m not familiar with protocol, but it says CCC no error found. Do you have a CCC or CIC? Combox is only compatible with CIC.

What car do you have? What equipment did it come with? Are you retrofitting both CIC and combox, or only combox? Did you default code both the CIC and combox together after retrofitting and updating the FA/VO?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 04:57 PM   #29
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaxData View Post
I'm not familiar with protocol, but it says CCC no error found. Do you have a CCC or CIC? Combox is only compatible with CIC.

What car do you have? What equipment did it come with? Are you retrofitting both CIC and combox, or only combox? Did you default code both the CIC and combox together after retrofitting and updating the FA/VO?
I have a e92 335 pre lci. The cic was retrofitted about a year ago and the combox was just installed. The error is showing up on the tel/mulf module which is how the combox shows up on ProTool. Once I coded the vo on ProTool the cic/kombi/ and combox were all automatically default coded to w.e I wrote to the vo. Voice control is also not able to hear my commands I'm thinking it is indeed the mic. Audio via the USB port works with the lightning cable I'm just not able to pair my phone
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 06:07 PM   #30
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

Sounds like your CIC isn’t coded correctly, consider using NCS expert to do the coding. Voice commands and Bluetooth phone calls use two different mics. The the voice commands microphone is routed directly to the CIC headunit and the telephone mic is routed to the combox (or TCU). Ergo, if your voice commands stopped working, it’s not the combox.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 06:25 PM   #31
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like your CIC isn't coded correctly, consider using NCS expert to do the coding. Voice commands and Bluetooth phone calls use two different mics. The the voice commands microphone is routed directly to the CIC headunit and the telephone mic is routed to the combox (or TCU). Ergo, if your voice commands stopped working, it's not the combox.
I'm not sure that would do much since I actually had Bluetooth calling working fine up until the combox was installed. I can also view and code the cic from the pro tool app so I know it's setup properly. I'm going to replace the mic in the meantime to see if that solve the issue since it is the only code I can see at the moment
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 11:28 PM   #32
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

Switching from the TCU to the combox changed a lot of settings in my CIC. Here are all the changes that occurred after I removed $639 and added $644 and $6VC:

Code:
ASSIST
	nicht_aktiv
ASSIST_INITIALIZATION
	nicht_aktiv
ASSIST_REMOTE_HVAC
	aktiv
ASSIST_VEHICLEFINDER_SHOW
	aktiv
CDMM_BLUETOOTH_AUDIO
	aktiv
PHONE_SMS
	aktiv
SHUTDOWN_DELAY_TIMER_2
	wert_00
ASSIST_ECALL_CALL_HANGUP
	aktiv
DAYDRIVING_LIGHT
	perm_off
NAVI_FUELSTOP_PROPOSAL
	aktiv
TELEMATIC_INSTANCE_ID
	instanceid_0x01
MUTE_BUTTON
	aktiv
BT_PHONE_INSTANCE_ID
	wert_02
FUNCTIONALITY_VIEWER
	aktiv
NAD_PHONE_INSTANCE_ID
	wert_01
CONNECTIVITY_SYSTEM_VER
	ecu_sw_vid
DATACOM_INTERFACE
	combox
HDD_ACCESS_VIA_ETHERNET
	aktiv
SDARS_REPLAY_AUTOMATIC
	aktiv
CDMM_USB_COVER_ART
	aktiv
DATACOM_TRANSFER
	mamac
MICROPHONE_0A
	no_microphone
ECALL_INSTANCE_ID_0A
	wert_01
MACRO_PIM
	aktiv
PIM_CROSS_USE
	aktiv
PHONE_TYPE_C0B
	combox
PIM_DRIVING_TEXT_LENGTH
	up_to_three_lines
MESSAGE_FILTER
	aktiv
ONE_SHOT_DEST_INPUT_C0D
	aktiv
SECONDARY_HFP
	aktiv
AUDIO_OFFSET
	aktiv
SLEEPDELAY_CLAMP30B_MIN_2
	wert_90
Appreciate 1
SlimE92185.50
      10-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #33
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Switching from the TCU to the combox changed a lot of settings in my CIC. Here are all the changes that occurred after I removed $639 and added $644 and $6VC:

Code:
ASSIST
	nicht_aktiv
ASSIST_INITIALIZATION
	nicht_aktiv
ASSIST_REMOTE_HVAC
	aktiv
ASSIST_VEHICLEFINDER_SHOW
	aktiv
CDMM_BLUETOOTH_AUDIO
	aktiv
PHONE_SMS
	aktiv
SHUTDOWN_DELAY_TIMER_2
	wert_00
ASSIST_ECALL_CALL_HANGUP
	aktiv
DAYDRIVING_LIGHT
	perm_off
NAVI_FUELSTOP_PROPOSAL
	aktiv
TELEMATIC_INSTANCE_ID
	instanceid_0x01
MUTE_BUTTON
	aktiv
BT_PHONE_INSTANCE_ID
	wert_02
FUNCTIONALITY_VIEWER
	aktiv
NAD_PHONE_INSTANCE_ID
	wert_01
CONNECTIVITY_SYSTEM_VER
	ecu_sw_vid
DATACOM_INTERFACE
	combox
HDD_ACCESS_VIA_ETHERNET
	aktiv
SDARS_REPLAY_AUTOMATIC
	aktiv
CDMM_USB_COVER_ART
	aktiv
DATACOM_TRANSFER
	mamac
MICROPHONE_0A
	no_microphone
ECALL_INSTANCE_ID_0A
	wert_01
MACRO_PIM
	aktiv
PIM_CROSS_USE
	aktiv
PHONE_TYPE_C0B
	combox
PIM_DRIVING_TEXT_LENGTH
	up_to_three_lines
MESSAGE_FILTER
	aktiv
ONE_SHOT_DEST_INPUT_C0D
	aktiv
SECONDARY_HFP
	aktiv
AUDIO_OFFSET
	aktiv
SLEEPDELAY_CLAMP30B_MIN_2
	wert_90
Much appreciated I'm all set after going through those same options thanks again !
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 11:52 AM   #34
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimE92 View Post
Much appreciated I'm all set after going through those same options thanks again !
Did you fix the issue? What was it?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 12:01 PM   #35
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Did you fix the issue? What was it?
Yes it's fixed, now I can pair my phone now and play music via Bluetooth

I Switched Datacom interface from tcu to combox. Bluetooth audio was not enabled I set it to enable, and phone type c0b was set to tcu I set it to combox
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 01:31 PM   #36
rocksarntpeople
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i M Sport

I have to say Im impressed, I did this work about 3 years ago and started writing a comprehensive DIY and never finished as too many questions came up about how to use FSTool/CarServer and felt that perhaps it was better to leave pandora's box closed on that one, props for putting the info out there though.

Can confirm 100% that this method (at least the certificate creation and import) works and reads/scans/codes like OEM...been that way for me for 3 years at this point.

Its nice to see the tools have gotten a little easier to find/work with at least
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #37
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksarntpeople View Post
I have to say Im impressed, I did this work about 3 years ago and started writing a comprehensive DIY and never finished as too many questions came up about how to use FSTool/CarServer and felt that perhaps it was better to leave pandora's box closed on that one, props for putting the info out there though.

Can confirm 100% that this method (at least the certificate creation and import) works and reads/scans/codes like OEM...been that way for me for 3 years at this point.

Its nice to see the tools have gotten a little easier to find/work with at least
Thanks! I started off using the old versions and struggled with the setup, endless troubleshooting, misinformation / out-of-date info, etc, as well, so I feel your pain!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 07:51 AM   #38
Kevink15
Rep
Drives: BMW 330XI

Maybe a dumb question here as I'm looking into a CIC/Combox retrofit and there is so much info out there on this. But one thing I could not clarify, many have said go with a newer 2012+ CIC head unit. Is this head unit from the F base model 3 series? Exception being the E92 Coupe going to 2012? Thanks just want to seek some clarity as I source parts.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 09:55 AM   #39
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevink15 View Post
Maybe a dumb question here as I'm looking into a CIC/Combox retrofit and there is so much info out there on this. But one thing I could not clarify, many have said go with a newer 2012+ CIC head unit. Is this head unit from the F base model 3 series? Exception being the E92 Coupe going to 2012? Thanks just want to seek some clarity as I source parts.
No, the Fxx CIC / combox units do not work in the E9x.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 12:57 AM   #40
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I Switched Datacom interface from tcu to combox. Bluetooth audio was not enabled I set it to enable, and phone type c0b was set to tcu I set it to combox
Forgot to respond to this, glad you sorted it out! Consider reporting your experience to the developers of ProTool, since it seems that default coding to a new VO didn’t work for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 03:52 PM   #41
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Forgot to respond to this, glad you sorted it out! Consider reporting your experience to the developers of ProTool, since it seems that default coding to a new VO didn’t work for you.
Will do thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 10:42 AM   #42
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Forgot to respond to this, glad you sorted it out! Consider reporting your experience to the developers of ProTool, since it seems that default coding to a new VO didn't work for you.
Looks like they already took care of it with an update on the 9th
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 02:41 PM   #43
pelon222
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

Quote:

What did you end up doing on which module? using protool? I have the same issues you described. The only thing I am getting by retrofitting the combox is I can play music through usb from my phone

Last edited by pelon222; 11-01-2019 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 06:28 PM   #44
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelon222 View Post
Quote:

What did you end up doing on which module? using protool? I have the same issues you described. The only thing I am getting by retrofitting the combox is I can play music through usb from my phone
I pretty much reset my vo back to default. And then recoded all the combox options to my vo. After you code the frm and cas the combox will default code on its own. Apps and Bluetooth and album art with the lightning cable started to work with no issues after that.
Appreciate 0