E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Pirelli P Zero Run flats

08-01-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT - Mineral White

Pirelli P Zero Run flats

Has anyone tried these and will they me okay on the back with the OEM Bridgestones on the front, as they are quite cheaper? Before you mention it I can't be arsed changing all 4 to non runflats as I might be changing the car in the near future and dont want to give the dealer an excuse for ther alloys cracking.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTIME View Post
Has anyone tried these and will they me okay on the back with the OEM Bridgestones on the front, as they are quite cheaper? Before you mention it I can't be arsed changing all 4 to non runflats as I might be changing the car in the near future and dont want to give the dealer an excuse for ther alloys cracking.
I have read on another forum quite a few reports that they are terrible to the point of being dangerous in the wet but good in the dry. If that's true, it could be an unfortunate combination.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the reply, even though it puts me back to square one. I need to do something even though the car has only done 12k miles as the inner inch are like slicks.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
COBRAEDWARDS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

I RUN P-ZERO RUN FLATS, THEY RUN MORE COMFORTABLE THAN THE BRIDGESTONES.
BUT MUST ADMIT, NEVER BEEN OUT IN CAR WHEN WET.
SO CAN'T CONFIRM THERE WET PERFORMANCE.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
ComputerKnowHow
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

I can't comment on mixing different tyres but I've just replaced all 4 tyres with the same Pirelli P Zero run flats after 35,000 miles on the last set of Pirelli P Zero run flats (came with the car from AUC when I bought it).

The last set were a bit noisy but I drove on them all year round and can't say they were bad in the wet compared with other car/tyre combinations. I drove through all the snow over the winter and only struggled once as the M5 nearly closed, though I heeded the warnings not to venture out when it was really terrible.

All 4 fitted, balanced, old tyres disposed of and filled with nitrogen (is this a gimmick? I've read a bit about it but I'm never going to do a track day in a 320d!) for £802.50 inc VAT. It wasn't a spectacularly good deal but was convenient & I needed them in a hurry due to old tyres literally worn out.

I like the Pirelli P Zero and I'm finding this set is more forgiving, but then brand new tyres with (comparitively) loads more tread would be more comfy.

Lots of people know more than I do, but I found relatively little info on these particular tyres. I think they're OK, but I used to have Continental Sport Contact tyres (non run flat) on my previous cars and I thought they were obviously far superior.

Just my opinion though...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

I've got OEM Bridgestones on the front and Pirreli P Zeros on the back.

The Pirreli tyres are better in all conditions that the Bridgestones.

Better dry, wet and not quite as hard on bumps although don't expect miracles with that part.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean about which tyre is cheaper? The Pirreli should be more expensive, certainly was in 255/30x19 size.

They also look nicer with the way they sit on the rim.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #7
wezzie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 330d

Hi i just fitted 4 p zero run flats to my car 35d and drove all round dorset for a week a+bs + motorways i found them so much more comfy less road noise i think they are better than the bridgstones and i ran these at 2.6b front and 2.8 rears.I havent yet tried the rain but for normal driving they have a good write up,and its been less stess than going down the non run flat road.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 03:00 AM   #8
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
I've got OEM Bridgestones on the front and Pirreli P Zeros on the back.

The Pirreli tyres are better in all conditions that the Bridgestones.

Better dry, wet and not quite as hard on bumps although don't expect miracles with that part.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean about which tyre is cheaper? The Pirreli should be more expensive, certainly was in 255/30x19 size.

They also look nicer with the way they sit on the rim.
http://www.kwik-fit.com/tyre-search.asp

If you look at the link you'll notice the Pirreli are £61.80 cheaper (£123.60 for 2 cheaper). Unless you or anyone knows anywhere cheaper. I've tried event tyres as they do mobile fitting but don't cover TS10.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 03:01 AM   #9
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerKnowHow View Post
I can't comment on mixing different tyres but I've just replaced all 4 tyres with the same Pirelli P Zero run flats after 35,000 miles on the last set of Pirelli P Zero run flats (came with the car from AUC when I bought it).

The last set were a bit noisy but I drove on them all year round and can't say they were bad in the wet compared with other car/tyre combinations. I drove through all the snow over the winter and only struggled once as the M5 nearly closed, though I heeded the warnings not to venture out when it was really terrible.

All 4 fitted, balanced, old tyres disposed of and filled with nitrogen (is this a gimmick? I've read a bit about it but I'm never going to do a track day in a 320d!) for £802.50 inc VAT. It wasn't a spectacularly good deal but was convenient & I needed them in a hurry due to old tyres literally worn out.

I like the Pirelli P Zero and I'm finding this set is more forgiving, but then brand new tyres with (comparitively) loads more tread would be more comfy.

Lots of people know more than I do, but I found relatively little info on these particular tyres. I think they're OK, but I used to have Continental Sport Contact tyres (non run flat) on my previous cars and I thought they were obviously far superior.

Just my opinion though...
That price must be on 18's rather than 19's surely?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 03:19 AM   #10
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
http://www.kwik-fit.com/tyre-search.asp

If you look at the link you'll notice the Pirreli are £61.80 cheaper (£123.60 for 2 cheaper). Unless you or anyone knows anywhere cheaper. I've tried event tyres as they do mobile fitting but don't cover TS10.
That's not the Pirrelis I have.

Price is about as cheap as I've seen for runflats though.

When I last looked Bridgestones were £310 and my Pirreli tyres were £340 on Blackcircles.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 03:39 AM   #11
Chris100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Highline Coupe

I have ran two E92s one with the Bridgestones and one with the P-zeros and I have to say that I prefer the P-zeros over the Bridgestones, they are much quieter and not as firm over bumps etc and I can't say that I have noticed them to be poor in the wet.

Just had to replace the rears last week at £300 per tyre which wasn't nice.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 03:42 AM   #12
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
That's not the Pirrelis I have.

Price is about as cheap as I've seen for runflats though.

When I last looked Bridgestones were £310 and my Pirreli tyres were £340 on Blackcircles.
The tyres I posted were Pirelli P Zero's. What are yours?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 03:42 AM   #13
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris100 View Post
I have ran two E92s one with the Bridgestones and one with the P-zeros and I have to say that I prefer the P-zeros over the Bridgestones, they are much quieter and not as firm over bumps etc and I can't say that I have noticed them to be poor in the wet.

Just had to replace the rears last week at £300 per tyre which wasn't nice.
Cheers Chris. Were these on 19's or 18's?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 04:07 AM   #14
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep

According to Black Circles the Pirelli's have 'Asymmetric tread is designed to give even wear and lower noise levels'. I am getting really confused now as I've been on black circles and what looks to be the same tyre has different prices.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 07:04 AM   #15
EssexIan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 335d MSport

I have Pirelli P-Zero runflats on my m-sport e91 with 18" wheels, I think the ride is awful and do not like them in the wet. They are reasonably quiet from a rolling noise point of view but transmit far too much harshness to the suspension so transmit a lot of noise this way. I had a ride in a friends E91 with the same set up on new Michelin Pilot runflats, they were very impressive from the ride/ noise point of view.

Hope that is of some help.

Ian
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #16
gabble
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d

I've currently got the Pirelli on the rear of my 330d and Michelin on the front - waiting to wear out the fronts!

Compared to all Michelins (and all bridgestone on my previous 330d) the Pirellis seem more forgiving and less prone to skipping over poor surfaces when accelerating hard. I suspect they will lack the ultimate sharp turn-in the Bridgestones in particular had, but I'll certainly be trying them on the front.

I've fiddled quite a bit with tyre pressures and noticed some sizeable comfort gains to be had. This car/wheel/tyre combo seems to be very pressure sensitive, as much as 0.2 bar making a noticeable difference - or maybe I'm weird!

gabble
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 05:32 AM   #17
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep

Gabble is yours an Msport on 19's. I currently run 44psi on rears and 39 at front.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #18
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
One of our 1s is running P_Zero runflats, and I'd say rides better than the just departed 1 on Bridgestones. No noticeable issues with traction under any conditions.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #19
Chris100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Highline Coupe

Quote:
Cheers Chris. Were these on 19's or 18's?
Both were on 19s
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #20
gabble
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d

Bigtime - it is an msport but on 18s

gabble
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #21
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
I went through this same dilemma. I only have two choices for runflats as I have the 225M 19" wheels: Bridgestone or Pirelli.

The car came with Bridgestones and when they wore out (at 23k and 19k front and rear respectively) I changed to Pirelli P Zeros. The P Zeros are better in every respect than the Bridgestones in my opinion - grippier, more comfortable and better in the wet.

In fact I have yet to read any post where this hasn't been the case when comparing the P Zeros to the Bridgestones - unless they were referring to the Pirelli Eufori@s, which are indeed crap.

Interesting note - last year Pirelli changed their tyre compound and their tyres became much more competitive in every area.
      08-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #22
ComputerKnowHow
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Quote:
That price must be on 18's rather than 19's surely?
That's correct. 18's.

If you go to a branch of Kwik-Fit at the moment there's 25% off premium tyres, and the price is lower than the online price.

Of course, you take a chance with your wheels at Kwik-Fit but they found damage to one of my wheels that can only have been done whilst driving over a pothole and they showed it to me.

I've now done 3000 miles on my new P Zeros and they do seem much better than the old ones did when they were new, specifically this week on a rain-lashed A50 and M1.
Appreciate 0