E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > Project E90

03-13-2019, 10:20 PM   #1
RealJ22
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 CT200h Cayman Boxster RC

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Project E90

Well I was able to pick up a cheap E90 from my aunt. It had a few underlying issues and has probably been washed once in the past 4 years. So far though, I love it.

After a week of ownership I have already done quite a bit. I've owned an E46 for about 7 years, so BMW is not new to me.

Have a few things that I need to do / work on. It'll take some time, but they will get done. It is an auto 325, but its perfect for a backup daily.
Currently working my life away and going to school leaves very little free time.

Got some M-pars for the E46 for only $75. Fixed them up a bit and threw tires on them. Decided to try them out on the E90 because the other one just sits as well. I think they look pretty good! I am not a fan of chrome, but these work for some reason.

No idea what I am doing with the car yet. I'm gonna fix it up in the mean time!

Last week when I first got it

How it currently sits

Appreciate 3
      03-15-2019, 01:53 AM   #2
skyview
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi Sedan

Looking good, you've done a lot in just the first week of ownership! Congrats on the new ride — enjoy!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 09:35 AM   #3
NitroKing
Bimmerrr
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i

Very clean! Good job fixing her up.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 08:16 PM   #4
troy2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i m sport

WOW! Man great job in your beginning stages of saving a car. Time to get under the hood and under the car to see what other life saving procedures you need to perform. Great job though so far man, it is so clean!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 08:50 PM   #5
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Looks clean!

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 02:36 PM   #6
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5

Did you respray the bumper?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 09:56 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 12:45 PM   #8
RealJ22
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Thanks guys. No, bumper was just touched up. I will be ordering an M-Sport this week. Had to do a few mechanical things.

There was a serious fuel leak right at the rail. The hose was shot. It was leaking quite a bit. The tensioner right under that part had the bolt head broken off. The belt was eating away at the metal. Spark and fuel could have easily gone BOOM!

I did a charcoal delete and put in a performance filter. Made a world of difference. Have new motor mounts and Oil pan gasket and control arms to do now!

Also bought a used sport seat for $40. Still have to grab the passenger from the junk yard. Just need to dye it now.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 07:40 AM   #9
George M
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

nice color, good luck!
Appreciate 1
RealJ221039.00
      04-23-2019, 09:47 PM   #10
RealJ22
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by George M View Post
nice color, good luck!
Thank you!

Got some Vinyl ordered for the roof. For my birthday I figured I would order myself a front bumper.

Also have some time on the lift in the next 2 weeks. Had a head injury so it sort of put things back a bit. Control arms, Oil pan gasket and motor mounts. Also going to check out the tranny and swap the fluids. Eventually I will do the solenoids or swap it. Haven't decided yet. The Auto is not HORRIBLE in this car, like the E46. Also, it's fairly serviceable.

I am wondering if I should facelift the car? I can get the front bumper for the same price, the hoods look to be only around $150 or so. I have found trunks available for $100 as well. My good friend owns a body shop and I do the work out of it, so paint is not a problem.

I am going with the M-Rep, if that makes a difference.

Also, has anyone split the headlights? I keep seeing mixed reviews. I have done a few sets in the past, but I would like to change the lens due to a hairline crack. I also NEED to get rid of the ugly ambers. If not I will paint the outside of the lenses similar to the covers.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 11:00 PM   #11
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep

Dude love the look of the m parallels, kinda even digging the chrome, I dunno, not normally a chrome fan but it looks damn good on the AW.

I dunno about the lci thing... I kinda like the pre-lci m sport... but I'm probably in the minority, I do like the lci trunk and tails. If you are not self conscious about the age of your car the pre-lci m-sport has a bit of a cult following.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 03:26 AM   #12
Nardoninety
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJ22 View Post
Thank you!

Got some Vinyl ordered for the roof. For my birthday I figured I would order myself a front bumper.

Also have some time on the lift in the next 2 weeks. Had a head injury so it sort of put things back a bit. Control arms, Oil pan gasket and motor mounts. Also going to check out the tranny and swap the fluids. Eventually I will do the solenoids or swap it. Haven't decided yet. The Auto is not HORRIBLE in this car, like the E46. Also, it's fairly serviceable.

I am wondering if I should facelift the car? I can get the front bumper for the same price, the hoods look to be only around $150 or so. I have found trunks available for $100 as well. My good friend owns a body shop and I do the work out of it, so paint is not a problem.

I am going with the M-Rep, if that makes a difference.

Also, has anyone split the headlights? I keep seeing mixed reviews. I have done a few sets in the past, but I would like to change the lens due to a hairline crack. I also NEED to get rid of the ugly ambers. If not I will paint the outside of the lenses similar to the covers.
Where you finding hoods for $150? Looking to finish my lci conversion but cant really find anything under 400 so far
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 09:22 AM   #13
RealJ22
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine_surf View Post
Dude love the look of the m parallels, kinda even digging the chrome, I dunno, not normally a chrome fan but it looks damn good on the AW.

I dunno about the lci thing... I kinda like the pre-lci m sport... but I'm probably in the minority, I do like the lci trunk and tails. If you are not self conscious about the age of your car the pre-lci m-sport has a bit of a cult following.
Thank you. I got the wheels this way and ALWAYS hated chrome. For some reason they just work! They were nearly free and in excellent shape.

I think I might color match the grill first to see how "It looks". I have a spare set of kidneys and some alpine white paint. I will spray them just to test it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardoninety View Post
Where you finding hoods for $150? Looking to finish my lci conversion but cant really find anything under 400 so far
https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...saAusYEALw_wcB

On Ebay I have found them even cheaper. Locally, even less. Offer on Facebook marketplace and craigslist.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 07:51 PM   #14
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you. I got the wheels this way and ALWAYS hated chrome. For some reason they just work! They were nearly free and in excellent shape.

I think I might color match the grill first to see how "It looks". I have a spare set of kidneys and some alpine white paint. I will spray them just to test it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardoninety View Post
https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...saAusYEALw_wcB

On Ebay I have found them even cheaper. Locally, even less. Offer on Facebook marketplace and craigslist.
If you do color match might I suggest you leave the chrome trim around the kidney to break it up a little or vice versa leave the chrome slats and do AW on the trim... if it's all AW it just gets lost. I personally like the gloss black with AW the best.

Considering the chrome on the wheels, a bit of chrome in front will look good I think
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 08:29 PM   #15
RealJ22
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
If you do color match might I suggest you leave the chrome trim around the kidney to break it up a little or vice versa leave the chrome slats and do AW on the trim... if it's all AW it just gets lost. I personally like the gloss black with AW the best.

Considering the chrome on the wheels, a bit of chrome in front will look good I think
That's exactly what I was going to do. Just the top grill and leave the bottom chrome.

Wrapped the roof today. Quite happy with the results. Still have to put the antenna on. Got a bunch of maintenance parts coming this week.

Appreciate 1
      05-05-2019, 08:53 PM   #16
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's exactly what I was going to do. Just the top grill and leave the bottom chrome.

Wrapped the roof today. Quite happy with the results. Still have to put the antenna on. Got a bunch of maintenance parts coming this week.

Looking very clean, I like it
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 08:50 PM   #17
RealJ22
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you! Front bumper should be ordered this week! Sick of looking at the current one! Also *Hopefully* have some lift time this weekend
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 09:00 PM   #18
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you! Front bumper should be ordered this week! Sick of looking at the current one! Also *Hopefully* have some lift time this weekend
Nice, I am right at that point with my wagon. Mtech and a respray was on the list until things got shaky at work... big cuts to my department so not super sure my budget is safe. So any projects are on the back burner for now.

I really really want to do the full mtech kit when it's feasible on my wagon but the rear bumper is stupid expensive. No decent reps are available that I know of.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 01:47 PM   #19
RealJ22
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Nice, I am right at that point with my wagon. Mtech and a respray was on the list until things got shaky at work... big cuts to my department so not super sure my budget is safe. So any projects are on the back burner for now.

I really really want to do the full mtech kit when it's feasible on my wagon but the rear bumper is stupid expensive. No decent reps are available that I know of.
Well, plans have changed. I picked this car up for $2,900. Needs paint bad, but I do paint and body. My friend owns a shop. Only 112k on the clock.

For an extra vehicle, the turbo and coupe were very appealing. Not to mention the price
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #20
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Well, plans have changed. I picked this car up for $2,900. Needs paint bad, but I do paint and body. My friend owns a shop. Only 112k on the clock.

For an extra vehicle, the turbo and coupe were very appealing. Not to mention the price
Damn sounds like a steal, wish I could find a project like that... how'd you find it/where?
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2019, 02:37 PM   #21
chrisg
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

So Clean
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 07:26 PM   #22
RealJ22
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Damn sounds like a steal, wish I could find a project like that... how'd you find it/where?
Thank you. I found it on craigslist for 6k asking. I knew it was rough looking, but the miles were low. I started another thread on it. Doing an M3 conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
So Clean
Thank you sir! It's actually for sale now! Wheels included for E90 post members I will do $4200. Tires are BRAND NEW on both sets of wheels.

Updates on new car!

Appreciate 0