E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > 'Essential' options - E92 335i?

07-25-2009, 04:45 AM   #1
TaylorA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335

'Essential' options - E92 335i?

Hi all - a pesky newbie with too many questions...
I love my 330i to bits, it was in stock at the time of purchase and has been a joy from day one. Now i'm considering placing an order for a 335i M Sport. The dealer says they come with 'everything' and to be fair I haven't yet gone into specifics with him, so looking at a few threads, would you guys say I would definitely want:

Professional nav (is this standard?)
19" wheels
Logic 7 stereo
Sunroof
Comfort access - (sorry, not sure what this is)
Heated seats
USB for my ipod

The only disappointment with my 330i has been no map with the sat nav so I can address that The standard stereo has been ok but the aux connector for the ipod is a bit fiddly.

Any input gratefully received.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 05:36 AM   #2
OZBB
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 325i Coupe

If your budget stretches to the "Individual Audio" I'd highly recommend it.... I'm hearing my music for the 1st time (I've had my 325i MSport since Jan 09).... incredible clarity and solid bass..... its the best.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
bcoz
spectator
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330d Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorA View Post
Attached is the last published Price/Option List for the 3er Coupe before it was removed (due to the new Clarity in Pricing legislation) from the BMW Oz website.

It is dated May 2009, so unless there was a price rise on 1 July, then it should still be current.

Professional Nav is standard on the 335i.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW 3 Coupe - Pricelist 200905.pdf (580.7 KB, 339 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Sports Package, Premium Package, Comfort Access (search and you'll learn lots about it), Active Steering, and Power Rear Shade are all must-have options in my book...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
mark325
Europhile
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 325i Manual

Logic 7 is nice, I haven't heard the Individual Audio, I cant believe they one upped the Logic 7. Do you know if its louder than Logic7, because I do from time to time max out the logic 7. Could do with a bit more gain.

Comfort access is for those who buy auto's aswell :P Lazy drivers :P Im gonna feel this bashing. Its so you dont have to take your key out of your pocket, You can just slide your finger over the handle and press the start button.

'06 E90 325i 6MT | Full M3 Kit | H&R Euro Race | VMR V710 | Colour Kidneys

AusBMW :: My Tutorials
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark325 View Post
Logic 7 is nice, I haven't heard the Individual Audio, I cant believe they one upped the Logic 7. Do you know if its louder than Logic7, because I do from time to time max out the logic 7. Could do with a bit more gain.

Comfort access is for those who buy auto's aswell :P Lazy drivers :P Im gonna feel this bashing. Its so you dont have to take your key out of your pocket, You can just slide your finger over the handle and press the start button.
My car has Comfort Access and is a manual. Has nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with convenience (and coolness, of course)...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:

+1 comfort access = answer to a question nobody asked.

MT FTW!
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #8
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Firstly, if it was me (which it is not) I would rather keep the 330i than get a 335i with turbo engine. In my opinion the power advantage isn't worth the extra complexity, heat and potential reliability issues of the twin turbos. Especially in a hot country like Australia. If you only keep the car for a few years that then you wouldn't worry about this aspect so much. At the least, the turbos probably add something to your insurance costs.

For the options, the only one I would really recommend is the USB port for the audio. You might also think about the M-sport kit if you like the appearance. The M-steering wheel has a nicer feel to me. My car has the Hi-fi speaker option, which I think is standard on a 335i. I have a bit of experience with hi-fi home audio and I think the sound quality is very good. It is loud too. I'd need some convincing to spend more $$ on the individual audio option. 18" wheels are big enough for any performance purpose and they are a better match for the roads around Sydney. In my opinion you need to think about practicality vs coolness when you opt for the 19s.

For comfort access - I am basically unimpressed. I only had the car for a short time, but I wouldn't pay for comfort access if it wasn't standard. I don't think it is too much trouble to press a button to unlock a car. It is a personal choice so you need to decide for yourself if it appeals to you or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
I love my 330i to bits, it was in stock at the time of purchase and has been a joy from day one. Now i'm considering placing an order for a 335i M Sport. The dealer says they come with 'everything' and to be fair I haven't yet gone into specifics with him, so looking at a few threads, would you guys say I would definitely want:

19" wheels
Logic 7 stereo
Sunroof
Heated seats
USB for my ipod

The only disappointment with my 330i has been no map with the sat nav so I can address that The standard stereo has been ok but the aux connector for the ipod is a bit fiddly.

From the options you list above I'd probably drop the 19" wheels. Tyres are not as easy to find (you'll have only a few choices) and are quite expensive. Comfort access is great.

Other options, neither appear on the BMW web site, but are must have options for the n54;

FMIC
Procede v3

Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 05:16 PM   #10
mark325
Europhile
South Africa
Rep

BMW //MPOWER you having a go at me or did I miss something ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorA

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #11
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
BMW //MPOWER you having a go at me or did I miss something ?
Nah mate, i was agreeing with you, i personally think comfort access is a waste of time and as you would already know i don't drive cars without 3 pedals!
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 11:00 PM   #12
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 SG 335i

Quote:

19" wheels
Logic 7 stereo
Sunroof
Heated seats
USB for my ipod

Hi,
Firstly, don't get the 19" wheels- get aftermarket wheels with NON- runflats. The car rides and handles better (ever wondered why none of the M cars have runflats) and the tyres are cheaper (will need a compressor kit approx $150 I think from BMW) and you have much more choice in tyres.

Get the better stereo- Logic 7 or indiv. depending on budget. (Damn luxury car tax will hit hard though)

Sunroof is a must (I use mine almost everyday)

Ipod- yes

heated seats and comfort access- why bother? Is it that cold in WA? and how hard is it to press a button IMHO. Not worth the price.

Climate comfort windscreen is a good option.

The 335 is a great car (when it works! I've had fuel pump failure, battery probs galore, squeaky brakes and much more)

Good Luck
      07-25-2009, 11:09 PM   #13
mark325
Europhile
South Africa
Rep

Alright haha I follow now :P, Yeah man. Manuals FTW

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #14
JC3
Australia
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 40d

Personally, one option I never go without (regardless of make/model) is window tinting and I make sure it's part of the deal.

When I bought my 2008 335i it came with the USB option but I had to fork out another $140 for the cable that would allow me to control the iPod via iDrive. I don't know if this has changed for the 2009 models though. Perhaps you could get the dealership to throw the cable in if you need it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #15
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
When I bought my 2008 335i it came with the USB option but I had to fork out another $140 for the cable that would allow me to control the iPod via iDrive. I don't know if this has changed for the 2009 models though. Perhaps you could get the dealership to throw the cable in if you need it.
It's probably a cable that costs them less than $5. You would think that would be thrown in from factory. I could understand having to pay for a cable if you had purchased a Hyundai but unacceptable when spending $100K+ on a car.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 03:56 AM   #16
OZBB
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 325i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
My IPod cable was thrown in in my 2009 model..... probably depends on the dealer.... I bought mine from Sydney BMW Rushcutters Bay
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 06:08 AM   #17
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

335 has nav and PDC standard and 99% of them have sunroof and usb now too.

I'd make sure you have sunroof, usb and perhaps comfort access and if your budget stretches to it, get logic 7. I have no options except the standard sunroof and prof nav and the only thing I wish i had was usb to play mp3 music.

The 19" wheels look great, but if you plan to get aftermarket wheels i'd just get the cheaper standard 18's. Another bonus is you can then ditch the harsh run flats.

....or you can buy my 19's in the photo below.... I have some new ones on the way
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 09:02 PM   #18
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

If you do a lot of country driving then Active Cruise is a must. I do two thirds of my driving on the open road, and I wouldn't be without it now.
      08-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #19
TaylorA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335

Thanks all, a lot to consider, especially John's post recommending I stay with the 330i !!
Is the new Idrive system standard or does that have to be specified? I've seen a couple of 335s with the same as my 330i, i.e. the round dial with the menu button below it..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 02:36 AM   #20
systech
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i (sold) 997.2 Carrera S

Quote:
Thanks all, a lot to consider, especially John's post recommending I stay with the 330i !!
Is the new Idrive system standard or does that have to be specified? I've seen a couple of 335s with the same as my 330i, i.e. the round dial with the menu button below it..
2009 335i comes standard with:

- iDrive with:
a) Professional Nav
b) analogue and digital TV
c) bluetooth interface for phone (Iphone works fine and you can download address book into car
d) hard drive to store music on car
e) voice recognition for entry of commands such as "dial name", which allows you then to speak the name and auto dial the corresponding number

- adaptive headlights (extra beam when turning) / headlight assist (auto dipping high beam)

- 6 CD stacker (MP3 capable) in the boot (plus DVD drive in dash)

- 10 speaker stereo (including subwoofer under seat) which to my ears sound very impressive. Unless you're an absolute audio hifi nutc, Logic 7 and the other custom audio option are not worth the extra cash
- sports seats with electric adjustment including lumber support and motorised "wings" and driver seat memory (2 positions for you and 'er indoors which are automatically set along with mirror positions depending on which remote is used to open car)
- auto wipers (varies speed according to amount of rain detected on screen)
- leather interior
- lots more not worth mentioning (get a brochure from BMW)

I personally believe that unless you have the cash to burn, all you need is a sunroof and USB interface (for memory stick or iPod playback) and maybe DCT if you don't want the manual. Just so happens these are the options I've got . You don't get your money back generally on options anyway although depending on the options selected may make it a little easier to sell.

I also agree with many others here who suggest NOT going for the 19" wheels (even though the dual spokes do look great!) because of ride harshness and cost of replacement tyres.
Appreciate 0