E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Did I do this correctly? (inpa)

01-18-2019, 11:20 AM   #1
chester22
Private
Rep
Drives: 530i

Did I do this correctly? (inpa)

Car is a 2011 328i. I used the version in Mike's BMW tools.

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 03:38 PM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Did what correctly?

Looks like you've used INPA to clear your fault codes...nothing wrong there.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #3
chester22
Private
Rep
Drives: 530i

I don't know how many its supposed to read. It says 18. Am I getting all? Do I have the best version of INPA for my car?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Mostly depends on the Daten file set if you have the
most uptodate. In most instances it won't matter.

diagnostic manual ista/inpa
https://bimmerprofs.com/diagnostics-inpa-part-1/
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xo19teM9vkTF-C
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7x8H3pN8h1fMuF
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-P-actually-do

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...9&d=1539905743
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 09:49 AM   #5
jeantarrou
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E91

ctuna, thank you thank you thank you for those links!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 10:08 PM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by chester22 View Post
Car is a 2011 328i. I used the version in Mike's BMW tools...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester22 View Post
I don't know how many its supposed to read. It says 18. Am I getting all?
The screen you show is "Fehlerspeicher Lesen" or Read Error Memory, in "Functional Jobs." The purpose of that screen is to allow you, in 2 minutes or less, to connect your K+DCAN cable to the OBD II Socket, open INPA, Select Functional Jobs, then press F4 | F1 and read Fault Codes in ALL modules in the vehicle, 18 in your case.

You have a fault in the KOMBI or instrument cluster. Functional Jobs will NOT give you anything but a fault code (A559). If you connect to the KOMBI (Body | Instrument Cluster) you can then select F4 (Fault Memory/Fehlerspeicher), F1, Read Fault Memory, and see a definition (probably in German) of A559, along with details, such as whether the fault is currently present, or if it would set a warning light (also probably in German). "Fehler momentan vorhanden und bereits gespeichert" = Fault now present & already saved. If it says "nicht vorhanden" the fault is NOT present now. In most modules, you can also get mileage/km when the fault was saved in memory, which is helpful to know, and in the DME, you can get Fault Details or Freeze Frame Data that provides engine conditions at time code was saved.

Use Google Translate to translate German to English:
https://translate.google.com/#view=h...te&sl=de&tl=en

In addition to quickly reading fault codes in ALL modules, Functional Jobs also gives you a screen that identifies ALL electronic modules in your vehicle to which INPA can connect to (1) get full Fault information, (2) Read Parameters (Status), or (3) perform Activations (Steuern) of various components such as motors (fuel pump, coolant pump, window motors, A/C flap motors, etc.).

That screen is F2, Identification, and you should see 18 modules listed there, having the same "ADR" number (e.g. 12 for DME) as you see on the Error Memory module list. I would suggest SAVING that Identification screen, as the identification data for each module can be helpful at times.

What I did to learn how many things INPA could be used to diagnose, was to first note HOW to connect to each of the ~20 modules in the vehicle, and save screens (one folder for each module) by pasting the screenprint to "Paint" and saving as a jpg file, with name showing Function Key sequence used to access it (such as Functional Jobs, F4, F1 for your screen). At a minimum, I would suggest doing that for all MENU screens.

As you may have already figured out, you can actually view all Menu screens on your computer without any cable or attachment to the car. You must be attached to the car to see any screen that contains data or Parameters however (obviously ;-). Many of the Data/ Parameter screens are in German, so saving those allows for easier translation. I have made an Outline in Word with German = English translation of those screens so I can tell at a glance what each data entry or Bar Graph relates to. Obviously the numbers and degrees, volts, etc. are obvious, but what sensor is being read takes some translation.

For those that don't want to do a complete survey of INPA capabilities for each module, just get familiar with the DME (1) Fault Code reading, including Freeze Frame Data (2) Parameters/ Status where you can read sensor live data, in bar graph format, (3) Activations/ Steuern where you can control or activate components. Many of the INPA functions found in the DME are also supported in other modules.

If you run into a problem with a component connected to some other module, such as a Climate Control Blend Flap, or DSC wheel speed sensor, you can always post for help, as long as you know how to connect to that module.

I would encourage you and others using INPA to share your discoveries and successes on this forum, as well as asking questions, so we can all learn more about this powerful diagnostic tool.

George
Appreciate 0