E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Combox retrofit tips, question about fsc

07-24-2016, 05:58 PM   #1
jon-vt
The One
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Combox retrofit tips, question about fsc

Just completed my combox install (well technically its not complete because I got the wrong combox but coding is done so once the new one gets here it should be a quick swap out). Just wanted to share my experience to help those that still plan to do this.

This was the main resource I used:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=772784

Useful info about making a retrofit harness:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=723325

Coding info:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1228290

At many points I found info in the DIY's lacking or different from my experience so wanted to share what worked for me.

Picking a combox
Make sure you get a combox that is BN2000, *not BN2010.* BN2010 will only work with newer F series. I made this mistake and now I have to wait for another combox. Thankfully the seller of the first one will take it back so my only loss is the shipping cost.

Making an adapter harness
This is one point I hit a snag. The Kufatec connectors at the above link are the correct style for the TCU and MULF connectors but mine were keyed differently so would not mate. There was a tab on the TCU and MULF connectors and no matching slot on the Kufatec. I had to cut into the Kufatec to make it work.

As stated in the above links, you don't need a harness, as the pins can be very easily swapped into the new connector. Unfortunately without the harness the wires will be just too short to reach the combox mounted in the stock location.

From my experience, it is specifically the TCU wires that are too short. The MULF connector was on the opposite end of the mounting tray, so those wires are much longer. I originally planned to make a full retrofit harness but after having to tediously cut a slot into one of the Kufatecs, I got too lazy to do the other. My final solution was to use one Kufatec connector to make a harness for the TCU wires and re-pin the MULF wires directly into the combox connector. This works perfectly. It also means you save $20 because the kufatec's are pricey. I still have the second kufatec connector so pm me if you want to buy .

The above DIY suggests that you might also need an adapter for the bluetooth antenna for two reasons: the combox connecter has an extra tab, and you may need the extra length. If you use my suggestion below for mounting the combox, you won't need the extra length. Just use a razorblade to shave off the extra tab on the combox connector as the above diy suggests and save the cost of the bluetooth adapter.

Mounting the combox
Here's a tip. Mount the combox backwards.

Heres a picture of how I think it is mounted when it comes from the factory (and therefore how most people do their retrofits; the rounded edge facing the front of the car):

Here's how I did mine. Rounded edge facing the rear of the car:

As you can see, due to the way the wires exit the combox connector, when mounted the normal way, the wires have to turn 180 degrees. The way I mounted it, the wires exit at a natural angle. The bluetooth and USB wires are also in a way better position. The normal way would have put strain on them when plugged in. They were perfect length the way I mounted mine.

Coding
The coding is pretty straight forward if you know how to use ncs expert to change the vehicle order and change coding parameters. The issue that I had was that it would not accept the vehicle order that I was trying to give it. It was giving me error COAPI-1000. I figured out there were conflicting values. My car had $639 and therefore would not let me add $633 or $644. The bottom line: change build date to #0311 or later, remove $612 $616 $633 and $639 if you have them. The add all of these if you don't already have it: $614, $615, $644, $6AL, $6VC, $6FL, $6NF, $6NR, $7SP. Note, you want either $633 or $644 but not both. I think if you plan to get telematics working you want to use $633 not $644.

Once I changed my vehicle order, it was working! I connected my phone and bluetooth music sounded great! The first sign that something was wrong was that when I tried to code the MEDIA module, it failed saying no response. But who cares, it was working right? Wrong. After closing up shop, when I went to drive a few hours later bluetooth no longer worked. Probably because the combox rebooted. It probably needs coding to make it work, but I cannot code it because it is the wrong model. BN2010 cannot talk to an E series CIC properly. So my new combox should arrive this week and should be a simple swap out and maybe quick coding.

BMW APPs
Now for my question . The one thing that I want to get working is text message integration with my android phone (from what I read, it does work with android right?). I think for this I need BMW apps, and for than I need a 9c FSC code right? Is there a way to DIY this or is my best bet to buy a code from someone? Once I have a code, can I DIY the code installation or do I need someone to do it? I have searched a lot but all I can find is info about FSC codes for F series and/or for map activation.

Hope this helps someone.

Shameless plug
I have one kufatec connector for making a harness (since I bought two but only decided to use one). These can take a while to arrive and/or be pricey depending on when you get it. Yours for $20.
Attached Images

Last edited by jon-vt; 07-25-2016 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
fatjoez223.50
      07-28-2016, 05:28 AM   #2
kaputme
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 2009

Garage List
2009 BMW E90  [8.00]
FSC code

So did you finally get an FSC code? How did your BN2000 work?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 08:46 AM   #3
jon-vt
The One
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputme View Post
So did you finally get an FSC code? How did your BN2000 work?
Sorry just noticed your reply. I did end up purchasing an FSC from bimmer-tech. In all honesty, its not too worth it for me. I have an android so the only feature it added is the SMS integration and it is neat but I don't end up using it much. Maybe I'll use it more at some point. I don't regret buying because I like having the extra features but I wouldnt say it is a must have.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 12:02 PM   #4
kaputme
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-vt View Post
Sorry just noticed your reply. I did end up purchasing an FSC from bimmer-tech. In all honesty, its not too worth it for me. I have an android so the only feature it added is the SMS integration and it is neat but I don't end up using it much. Maybe I'll use it more at some point. I don't regret buying because I like having the extra features but I wouldnt say it is a must have.
you don't need FSC for text messages. You just need to enable it on the phone and on BMW live..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 12:09 PM   #5
jon-vt
The One
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputme View Post
you don't need FSC for text messages. You just need to enable it on the phone and on BMW live..
Interesting. I did a fair ammount of research and did not find anything to suggest this so I failed in that regard. So my money was truly wasted. Good to know . I will say that I made it pretty clear to bimmer-tech that I was mainly interested in the text message feature with my android phone and they were happy to take my money without pointing out I did not need the FSC. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #6
kaputme
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-vt View Post
Interesting. I did a fair ammount of research and did not find anything to suggest this so I failed in that regard. So my money was truly wasted. Good to know . I will say that I made it pretty clear to bimmer-tech that I was mainly interested in the text message feature with my android phone and they were happy to take my money without pointing out I did not need the FSC. Oh well.

I don't have connected drive as i Have C1A, and did not want to pay for the apps as i don't use it any way..

So this is what i did. Connect phone (pair), in settings on the phone for bluetooth device connected, for your car select all available options, i.e. Phone audio, audio, contacts sharing, message sharing etc (mine is a xperia z3). Next you go to telephone on the main menu of Idrive, select bluetooth (should be at the bottom) then select Telephone, Office, and audio i think.. not sure i'll check in a bit as i'm heading to the garage right now..

Edit: Just came back... So you have to select Configure phone, select Telephone, Office, and audio, then configure bluetooth, then you have to select everything.. Then reset: after that under telephone you should have an option called Messages..

try it out and let me know how it goes..

Last edited by kaputme; 08-19-2016 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 02:16 PM   #7
kaputme
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E90  [8.00]
In My opinion

Don't buy those expensive BMW cables for USB (black blue to armrest) i bought these

2 of these http://www.ebay.de/itm/381610668224?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and one .. i got these for 3€..

http://www.ebay.de/itm/LINDY-3m-USB-...kAAOSwRQlXc7JR

and you have the cable.. Just make sure to connect the cables and duct tape them.. May be cheap, but you save money from the stealership...

also.. if like me you just leave a huge USB stick connected in the trunk with all your music, then you just need the first cable..

i'm just saying
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 11:26 AM   #8
ramez75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i xDrive GC (F06)

I did this retrofit and have a samsung note 4 but can't seem to get bmw apps to work or internet....
Anyone can shed light on this
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 07:16 AM   #9
Gangsta
Rep
Drives: F10 LCI MY0314

Thanks for sharing this DIY, found it very useful for the Combox Telematics Retrofit that I am doing right now, I have done the coding related to CIC, FRME and modified the Vehicle order. The only problem Im having is that dont see the Combox ECU in the list of ECUs what I read the CAS, may be this is due to having the Combox Telematics, which I thought I can just use as Combox as I don't need the Assist and BMW Online features, but what will it show up as in the list of ECUs indeed if it is being listed as another name?

I am dreading to think that the Combox Telematics that I have may well be faulty or the DIY Retrofit Harness (TCU/Mulf to Combox) that I bought from one of the Forum members is not wired correcly.

I have a E90 LCI MY0909 which came with SA633 (factory bluetooth) and the Professional CIC and is currently software level 42.

Will be glad to have your view on it as you seem to have done alot of work on this.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 10:35 AM   #10
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

I believe the combox ECU is called Media. I'd say you have not done the VO coding correctly if it's not there.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 08:11 AM   #11
KJMotorsport
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
Thanks for sharing this DIY, found it very useful for the Combox Telematics Retrofit that I am doing right now, I have done the coding related to CIC, FRME and modified the Vehicle order. The only problem Im having is that dont see the Combox ECU in the list of ECUs what I read the CAS, may be this is due to having the Combox Telematics, which I thought I can just use as Combox as I don't need the Assist and BMW Online features, but what will it show up as in the list of ECUs indeed if it is being listed as another name?

I am dreading to think that the Combox Telematics that I have may well be faulty or the DIY Retrofit Harness (TCU/Mulf to Combox) that I bought from one of the Forum members is not wired correcly.

I have a E90 LCI MY0909 which came with SA633 (factory bluetooth) and the Professional CIC and is currently software level 42.

Will be glad to have your view on it as you seem to have done alot of work on this.
Did you update the vehicle build date when adding the options to the VO? (so deleting #0909 and adding #0311 instead)
      01-06-2017, 05:13 PM   #12
Gangsta
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMotorsport View Post
Did you update the vehicle build date when adding the options to the VO? (so deleting #0909 and adding #0311 instead)
Sorry for the late reply, Initially I changed the VO with the correct build date for Combox i.e.#0311 as well as the other entries (delete $633, $616 add $614, $644, $6FL, $6NR, FA write those to both to CAS and NFRM, but as I did not see the Media, I was not able to code it. After searching the forums, I learned that I had mis-understood 6VC on the forums which as it described it as Dummy-Salpa which led to me to think it served no purpose, to my surprise $6VC is what helps bring the Media entry in my list of ECUs .. But that excitement was short lived as I was still not able to read it! which also meant it was pointless attempting to write to it. As I was pretty certain my wiring and coding is correct, I am now certain I got a faulty Combox Telemtics, which has arrived and just needs installing.

As a further note, I originally put in the OEM wiring for 6NF as well as the 6FL, I have managed to obtain 6NF basedplate for F10 cheaply, which I have been able to take the guts of it out and put it in the body of the basic bluetooth baseplate I had in E90 LCI. which means I can use this £90 base plate in my E90 as well as the F10 which I am interested in getting, its it was not hard to dao, any one that can do the combox can do this

I will post an update once the Combox and 6NR are all set up and working.

Last edited by Gangsta; 01-06-2017 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 05:36 PM   #13
Gangsta
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60525d View Post
I believe the combox ECU is called Media. I'd say you have not done the VO coding correctly if it's not there.
Thanks for replying, I am a newbie to NCS and am learning the ropes after lots of reading posts/guide from the likes of your self.

Mr Bimmer/Alpina made a retrofit loom for me a while back.. and hes a trusted community memebr so cant fault his loom..so yea it has to be the Coding or the Combox, my reply above explains more.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 11:29 PM   #14
Gadgets4u
Gadgets4u
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E93 335i 09, 2008

I purchased a second hand Kufxxxx adapter but it was wired incorrectly and couldn't "see" the combox (media) in NCS expert.
Jimmelo did an excellent write up, complete with pin outs of the plug.
I was swapping out a MULF2 SVS High and found I had to swap the power from pin 1 to pin 2.
One other person mentioned that they connect pin 1&2 together. Then it didn't matter....
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 05:54 AM   #15
KJMotorsport
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
Thanks for replying, I am a newbie to NCS and am learning the ropes after lots of reading posts/guide from the likes of your self.

Mr Bimmer/Alpina made a retrofit loom for me a while back.. and hes a trusted community memebr so cant fault his loom..so yea it has to be the Coding or the Combox, my reply above explains more.
Looking forward to seeing if you get it sorted. As a random aside, do you have the latest datens for NCS? I only ask as I used to have trouble reading my NFRM module using V55 datens, only when i updated to V59 datens was I able to finally read and code the NFRM...
      01-18-2019, 06:39 AM   #16
e90reborn
Private
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2010 E90

my car already has a factory combox. will coding work ?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 10:29 AM   #17
e90reborn
Private
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90reborn View Post
my car already has a factory combox. will coding work ?
Never mind I believe it’s not combox

Last edited by e90reborn; 01-18-2019 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 03:04 PM   #18
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

yes, this is MULF2 (not MULF2HIGH) and TV DVB-T module
      01-18-2019, 04:27 PM   #19
e90reborn
Private
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
yes, this is MULF2 (not MULF2HIGH) and TV DVB-T module
So, US$1500 for a combox PnP retrofit kit at bimmerretrofit.com does it sound about right ?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 06:30 PM   #20
e90reborn
Private
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
So, US$1500 for a combox PnP retrofit kit at bimmerretrofit.com does it sound about right ?
At a second thought since I already have MULF I would need only the combox unit + adapter harness right ?

I found a cheap BN2000 from a mini car.. will that work for E90 ?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 09:03 PM   #21
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
At a second thought since I already have MULF I would need only the combox unit + adapter harness right ?

Do you have i-drive? Combox needs that to play music over bluetooth. All you need is a combox and the connector that it uses. You can then move the pins from your mulf to your new connector. It is only 6 pins so paying $100 for an adapter is overkill.

Since you don't have the USB in the arm rest, you can run usb and aux wires there. Or just use bluetooth for everything. Every combox I have retrofitted has needed the one time software update. That can be done with a cheap ebay usb to bmw usb adapter hooked to the combox usb port.

Post the part number of your BN2000 to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 02:52 AM   #22
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

Quote:

yes, but you'll get streaming only if you headunit is CIC, not CCC which was installed until 2008/09