E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N51 SULEV extended warranty question - would DIY void it?

12-23-2018, 11:25 AM   #1
misterkliper
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i sport

Garage List
N51 SULEV extended warranty question - would DIY void it?

I have a 2011 E92 328i with an N51 SULEV motor (32k miles). Ive read a bit about the extended warranty (15 years/150k miles), although I cannot find anything clear on whether or not DIYing something that would be covered voids any part of that warranty? To clarify, my car started shaking and threw a SES light, so I read the code and it's a bad coil on cylinder 3.

From what I have read, this would be covered under the N51 warranty, although 2 issues: 1, since it's a warranty claim, I assume they would only replace the one bad coil. At this point I'd like to replace all of them since the rest are bound to go eventually. I'd rather not tow it to the dealer 5 more times as they go out. And 2, their next appointment isn't for well over a week from now, meaning I'm having to borrow a car in the meantime.

To avoid the wait and to make sure all 6 get replaced, I'd rather just buy the parts and do this myself, but I don't want to void the warranty since it covers things like the VCG and vanos etc. Would that be an issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 01:22 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkliper View Post
I have a 2011 E92 328i with an N51 SULEV motor (32k miles). Ive read a bit about the extended warranty (15 years/150k miles), although I cannot find anything clear on whether or not DIYing something that would be covered voids any part of that warranty? To clarify, my car started shaking and threw a SES light, so I read the code and it's a bad coil on cylinder 3...
Unless your model has some sensor capability mine does NOT, there is NO code that definitively identifies the COIL as the cause of a misfire on cylinder 3 (P0303 | 29CF).

If that P-code | BMW FC is what you are interpreting as a definitive indication that you have a bad coil, please confirm that and someone can explain what that code ACTUALLY means, and how a number of other things from old plugs, bad wiring/ connector, injector issue, etc. can cause that code, and what further tests or descriptions of vehicle performance symptoms & indicator lights are indicated for proper diagnosis.

I realize that reply does NOT directly address the question you raised, so I will ask these questions: How many miles on your vehicle (I see you indicate 32,000?)? Is Spark Plug replacement covered under SULEV warranty? Is any Coil/Plug wiring issue covered? Is any Injector wiring issue covered? If the answer to all of those questions is YES, then drive (NO need to tow) your vehicle to the Dealer and have the cause of the misfire diagnosed and remedied at no expense to you.

Otherwise: Do you REALLY trust the Dealer? Do you REALLY feel lucky??

George
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 06:12 PM   #3
AM330i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 535xi 11 328xi

Garage List
2023 BMW M440  [0.00]
I have replaced plugs and coils on my n51 and then recently had my Valve cover replaced under the sulev warranty with no issues
      12-31-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
misterkliper
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Unless your model has some sensor capability mine does NOT, there is NO code that definitively identifies the COIL as the cause of a misfire on cylinder 3 (P0303 | 29CF).
You are correct, when I was told what the code was, they had suggested purchasing coils. I misunderstood and took that as part of what that specific code meant, not that it was just a generic misfire code

Update on the situation: decided to take it to the dealer anyway with my fingers crossed it was just coils and ended up bringing it home with 6 new coils all under the N51 warranty, so all is well! The dealer was very knowledgeable on the warranty and there was no hassle.
Appreciate 0